No More Insulin!!!!!

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ryan hasn't needed insulin for 6 days now. He went to the vet today and they said he no longer needs it. We can manage his diabetes on diet alone

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl2000

Ryan hasn't needed insulin for 6 days now. He went to the vet today and they said he no longer needs it. We can manage his diabetes on diet alone
That's wonderful! I didn't know animals could reverse insulin-dependency. If only humans could, too! (Or is that now possible? I know, about 10 years ago, when I became a Type II Diabetic, they were experimenting with some sort of pancreatic transplant.)

I'm glad Ryan is doing so well!

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

That's wonderful! I didn't know animals could reverse insulin-dependency. If only humans could, too! (Or is that now possible? I know, about 10 years ago, when I became a Type II Diabetic, they were experimenting with some sort of pancreatic transplant.)

I think only cats have the ability to reverse diabetes, not dogs. I had a diabetic dog (diabetic for the last 4 years of her life), and at the time I'd heard cats could do that, and I wished dogs could.
That is such great news!!!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful, It's nice that you wont have to give needles and the stress on you cat will ease within a few days. He may not like the food but it will save his life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I guess I should tell all of you now. I didn't want to scare any of you.. that is why I didn't say anything before. Ryan was so close to not making it. When he was admitted to the hospital he was critical. He was Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). Of course he is still diabetic but he is no longer keto. He has made a remarkable recovery and the vet said I have been doing an excellent job caring for him.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news!! Congratulations!!

Originally Posted by MargeCat

As a side note, I think in some cases human Type II can be reversed. If you're type II because due to weight or obesity then after dieting you can suppress it. However it can still come back.

If you're Type I and other cases of type II, I definitely know that they're with you the rest of your life.

I recently saw an article about Stem Cell Research and diabetes. Basically stem cell can help you get off insulin and manage your blood sugar levels.

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes they are sure it is diet controlled. I have been testing him and he has been in the normal range.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

Congratulations to you and Ryan.
That's wonderful news.
That's wonderful news!

What was his diet before and what changes did you make? How much insulin did he need at his worst?

Feline diabetes is an interest of mine.

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ryan was eating Cat chow (dry) but I changed it to Friskies (wet). The dry food has too many carbs for him and the wet food is keeping his levels normal. Ryan was getting 2 units of insulin twice a day.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ryan was eating Cat chow (dry) but I changed it to Friskies (wet). The dry food has too many carbs for him and the wet food is keeping his levels normal. Ryan was getting 2 units of insulin twice a day.
It's amazing that's all it took! How old is Ryan and how long did it take once he was off the dry food for him to no longer need insulin?

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ryan is 10 years old. He was diagnosed 7/31/07. He started eating the wet food 8/3/07 and his last dose was 8/12/07.. so 9 days on insulin. Wow didn't realize that til I just did the math lol.

My Ryan

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ryan is 10 years old. He was diagnosed 7/31/07. He started eating the wet food 8/3/07 and his last dose was 8/12/07.. so 9 days on insulin. Wow didn't realize that til I just did the math lol.

My Ryan
That is amazing! Thanks for graciously enduring my curiousity!

I didn't see his picture at first. What a handsome boy!