should i get two?

bellaluciabaci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Lucia is 19 weeks old. I love her to death!!! She is such a sweet sweet creature-so calm and tolerant, very affectionate, very vocal, kisses all the time, follows me around, looks for me when I am around the corner and at the same time, all the feline I could ever dream of! I have been pondering on getting another, male, ragdoll. Trust me I wouldn't mind having two, but my concern is that she will change. Will our bond diminish, will her security be breached, will her sense of being the one and only hurt her super personality? I have many questions and concerns as this is my first time I have been owned by a kitty! Anything anyone could be share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well if you do get a younger cat, at a minimum her nose will be out of joint, for a time. And at her age you would have to be cautious about the health of whoever you might bring in ...

If I were you, (and I recently have made a similar decision!) I would get TWO more. Then the younger ones would leave Lucia alone -- meaning, not try to play with her, and have each other when you are devoting attention to her.

I got adult cats, 2.5 and 15 mos, from a resuce situation, as well as a 4 mo kitten (whom my husband could not resist). Walter, he of the grieving thread, is 13. He has a pretty easygoing temperament, was always a beta kitty, and I sought rescue cats who also were laid-back and easygoing adults (So I would know what they were like). We have been very pleased at his acceptance of the new cats, and their behavior around him. They are respectful of his unwillingness to play, and continue to entertain each other, and yet all are friendly. But ... choose your personalities with CARE!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 5 months old a kitten would probably love a playmate. I don't believe the human bond changes, because it's a totally different relationship. I wish I would have adopted more than one kitten at a time, but I was unsure how my older cats would take it. I'd go for it!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

At 5 months old a kitten would probably love a playmate.
Just do the intro's slowly and they should both adjust well.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whenever I hear of someone wanting to adopt another cat when they have a senior cat, I suggest 1 of 2 solutions: Get an older cat who is already settled and who will not feel the need to try to engage your resident cat in play. The other option is to adopt 2 younger cats or kittens that will engage each other in play. If your senior resident doesn't want any part of the newcomers, they can ignore them and not feel threatened by them.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is a great idea for you to get another kitten before 6-8 months old, this is a much easier time for them to except new things. Another kitten 12-16 weeks old would be prime, as long as you introduce slowly. New kitten in seperate room for atleast a couple nights, possibly longer or shorter depending on how they get along. closely observed interactions.......

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

If your senior resident doesn't want any part of the newcomers
The resident kitty is only 19 weeks, not years.

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

The resident kitty is only 19 weeks, not years.
D'OH! My bad ... I started the misunderstanding on her age! Oh, heck YES, 19 WEEKS, get another!!!

... and, it is SO MUCH FUN to watch two young ones together!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellaluciabaci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you guys have been great! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got my second kitten when my first one was 5 months old and it went really well. I didn't know anything about introductions I just put them together, the second one was two months old vet checked and had had first shots. They were playing within a couple of hours. The resident cat was a male though and I guess when they are older anyway the females can take a little longer to adjust though. I think my resident boy was really glad to have another kitten to play with.