Orijen for kittens ?

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering whether to buy Orijen or Royal Canin for my kitten, once they're home in 4 weeks.

Orijen only has one stage food type, so nothing special for kitten, but they have 0% grain. Royal Canin (Vet products) does have a kitten stage food line...

Looking at the ingredients, Orijen seem to be superior to Royal Canin, and the 7kg bag costs 45$, whereas the Royal Canin Kitten 4kg bag costs 32,62$. All Canadian dollars of course.

What do you guys think?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would use RC for a young kitten if under 4 months ... after that try the orijen

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerLord

Looking at the ingredients, Orijen seem to be superior to Royal Canin, and the 7kg bag costs 45$, whereas the Royal Canin Kitten 4kg bag costs 32,62$. All Canadian dollars of course.

What do you guys think?
I would have guessed "Canadian" dollars after seeing the way you wrote 32,62$ (the French way of course).

I agree with Sharky - I'm a big fan of kitten food for kittens.

As for Orijen, I just started my big boy Bijou on this food and hope it will help him lose some of the weight he gained on the grains and fillers in his previous food.

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would also do the RC kitten, then the Orijen at about 4-6 months old.

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm with everyone else. I wish those brands were available here but we don't have any of those products close to me. I just use an all life stage food and mine seems to do fine on that he's gaining weight as he should and growing.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I disagree, It shows a kitten on the offical website, and sense you know already the food is better then RC start him right IMO REALLY good foods dont need stages/ like the raw/barf method RC even has breed diets
( a siamese diet, a purshian diet/ I look at both bags and its all the same, corn and by products and meat meals wih maybe a meat as the third ingredent .

Silly/ all breeds need the same mostly meat diets, only this changes sightly if the cat devlops a weight issue or has a uri or kidney issues.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UTI sorry I misspelled, Again good foods IMO dont need stages Innova evo for example is for cats and kittens, you just need to feed a kitten more thats all.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

I disagree, It shows a kitten on the offical website, and sense you know already the food is better then RC start him right IMO REALLY good foods dont need stages/ like the raw/barf method RC even has breed diets
( a siamese diet, a purshian diet/ I look at both bags and its all the same, corn and by products and meat meals wih maybe a meat as the third ingredent .

Silly/ all breeds need the same mostly meat diets, only this changes sightly if the cat devlops a weight issue or has a uri or kidney issues.
Re read NO OTC RC have meat by products .... Chicken meal IS NOT chicken by product meal... chicken meal is second in Orijen , but by volume and wt after cooking it would be first

I recommend it due to the kibble size Orijen is HUGE by comparison... little food more goes in more nutrition in little body

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the answers !

I'll feed my kitten RC until they are 6 months old and then switch to Orijen !