Our cats lick cement....why?

dragonfox1001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
4 of our 5 cats like licking our cement basement floor.
Does anyone know why they do this?
Is it some sort of vitamin deficiency?
Should we be giving them supplements?

crocket70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is old and has feline leukemia virus. He just started licking cement a couple days ago.
I called my vet who believes he needs more salt in his system. He even recommended I sprinkle a small amount of garlic salt on his food.
Maybe this is why my other old cat licks ME so much! I'm going to try it on both of their food.
Hope this helps.

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one who licks the carpet while she scratches herself. I never knew why. If she can't reach the carpet from her scratching position, she'll just do the tongue motions in the air until she looks like a lizard and the kids laugh.

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my two cats LOVES to lick plastic bags. When I come home with groceries Trinity is right there waiting to "make out" with the bags. It is the funniest thing!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crocket70

...I called my vet who believes he needs more salt in his system. He even recommended I sprinkle a small amount of garlic salt on his food.....
Any idea why garlic salt and not table salt?

hex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i don't know if it's true or not, but i was once told that the reason kitties are so fond of those cash n' carry bags from the grocery has something to do with how the plastic is processed with corn starch, which cats find appealing.