Question about distemper vaccine

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of vaccines are somewhat "optional" for indoor only cats, such as the Felv and fiv shots, and even rabies where its not required. I was wondering about the distemper shot. Is that something you wouldn't bother with each year also for an indoor only, or do you do that one regardless? I know its a lot more contagious than the other diseases, so wanted to find out if Riley should have one every year. Thanks.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a core vaccine recommended to be done every 3 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Riley is due next May for that and rabies I think, but I would like to get him on a 3 year schedule instead of every year.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its now been recommended to get the shots every 3 yrs instead of yearly. I would continue to get the 4 in 1 shots (which include distemper) and the rabies. Most of the states require rabies shots now.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Distemper is the only thing we vaccinate Roxie for now. She just had hers in March and will have it again in 3 years. We do not do Rabies as of yet. Still something we are discussing since the shelter told us not to bother.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its now been recommended to get the shots every 3 yrs instead of yearly. I would continue to get the 4 in 1 shots (which include distemper) and the rabies. Most of the states require rabies shots now.
What else is included with the 4 in 1 shot?

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 4way consist of Panleukopenia(distemper), Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, and Chlamydia(not a core vaccine).