Cat Peed on Pillow - Read the threads, what now?

jillyvn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I reviewed the threads on this topic and I think I just need some reassurance that I've got this right.

I have a cat who was a shelter cat for a number of years. I've had him for two years. I recently changed the litterbox from a hooded one to a hooded one with a swing door. Immediately after, I woke up to find he had urinated and pooped on my bathroom mat. I put it off to a one off thing, and then carried on as normal. Tonight - 24 hours later - I got up to go to the bathroom. I came back and put my head down, only to realize my pillow was wet - and then I caught the odor. The cat had peed on my pillow. Now, I am certain he wasn't spraying, because the pillow was flat on the bed and was SOAKED in yellow urine.

So, I took the swing door off the litterbox, and reintroduced him to the area. Less than an hour later, I heard the scratching noises - he was in the litterbox peeing.

Would I be correct in assuming that he peed on my pillow because he was angry with me? He HATES carriers, and always voids himself out of stress when he has to be put in one. Could he be associating the litterbox with the door with a cat carrier? And, since he has peed in the litterbox, can I adopt a wait and see approach? I'd rather avoid the vet bill if I can without hurting the kitty.

Jill

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sure does sound like the new door could have been the cause of the out of the box urination. Like you said though, best to keep an eye on him for a few days.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure does seem like he was ticked about the litter box. Tosh use to poop in the sink of the person he was upset with. If we left for a couple of days for a trip we would find poop in our bathroom sinks. He has calmed down in his older age but man he us to be one that would "get back" at us if we did something or changed something he did not like.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

It sure does sound like the new door could have been the cause of the out of the box urination. Like you said though, best to keep an eye on him for a few days.
I totally agree. I've had cats pee on ME when they were ticked off by things. Some cats just make stronger statements than others.