Heat causing vomiting??? Continuation from whats going on? thread.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This past week has been the hottest so far with every day reaching in the mid 30's (celsius). And both Diego and Ryu have been ill.

Neko is fine, but recently Diego has been vomiting ad having the squirts, which I thought was just a bad reaction to my wife changing him to wet food coz she is too lazy to dish out 2 separate meals.

But today again, Ryu is very ill with vomiting, the whole dining room, floor was covered in vomit just from this morning. 1 pool of it I thing had blood in it? the colour was pinkish red. About 10 minutes ago I managed to put him in his toilet and he is now vomiting up bile again.

The thing is, I don't know if its the heat or their diet. See sometimes my wife gives Diego wet when she gives Ryu wet, and gives Ryu dry when she gives it to Diego. Now last time and now Ryu vomits bile he had been eating dry, which he doesn't chew properly and both times it has been extremely hot.

I am p*ssed at the wife for being so careless even though I have given her instructions. She refuses to take him to the vet saying it'll pass.
That is wrong on so many levels, last time the vet said it was a fever, what are the odds of him getting a fever 2x in 2 weeks? I think it might be something serious and he should be tested

I have got meds left over from last time but am reluctant to give him them incase its more than just a fever and I do more harm than good with the meds.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=136790

This is the link from the last thread about his illness.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He needs a vet immediately. He is in dire straights, please get him seen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

He needs a vet immediately. He is in dire straights, please get him seen.
I can't because I use my credit card for all expenditure here, the vet bill has to be 10,000en or more before they accept credit card.

I'm trying to get my wife to loan me some $ but she refuses. We just had a giant argument because I said if it was Neko, she would have had him at the vets after 1 vomit. Very unreasonable and cold hearted

The sad thing is, she knows if roles were reversed, I would help her in an instant without the need of arguments of verbal abuse.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh ick what a horrible situation!!! I'm so sorry for you and poor kitty!!!

I think the best thing obviously is for an immediate vet visit. I really hope you can get it worked out!!!!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

Oh ick what a horrible situation!!! I'm so sorry for you and poor kitty!!!

I think the best thing obviously is for an immediate vet visit. I really hope you can get it worked out!!!!
I got it sussed, you see my wife told me that they don't have ATM's like the western countries and that I cannot get cash using my credit card like I would if I was in NZ. Well thanks to a bit of help from die_to_xxx who is from England living in Tokyo, told me that I just need to go to the post office, they have international ATM's. So as you can all imagine I am fuming that I have been using my credit card for purchases over here getting charged fee's all the time when I could have withdrew a lump sum. Not only that but the amount of anxiety I went through thinking I can't help Ryu unless his vet bill is at least 10,000en (80ish USD) so I can use my credit card.

The vet reopens for consultation in 40mins so will keep you updated. I can at least tell you that the wife will translate for me, when I ask the vet what the fudge is going on.

I could tear her a new orifice for the stress she cause me, I start to see wrinkles appearing on my face.
I'm too handsome for wrinkles, young also.

nightcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DIEGO;1933068 said:
Well thanks to a bit of help from die_to_xxx who is from England living in Tokyo, told me that I just need to go to the post office, they have international ATM's. So as you can all imagine I am fuming that I have been using my credit card for purchases over here getting charged fee's all the time when I could have withdrew a lump sum. [quote/diego]...WOW!! Im surprised your wife didnt know that already!!I dont want to pry or anything but i think this is something that she should have told you about or discussed at the very LEAST.Especially you being a foriegner in an alien country!!.Im glad that now you have found a way to take ryu in to be seen by a vet,hopefully it is nothing more serious than an infection
I hope this doesnt come across as sexist but...I think IF I were you i would take the wife out and buy her a new skirt and treat myself to a pair of new trews and maybe you could show her who wears the pants in your house!!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nightcats

Originally Posted by DIEGO

Well thanks to a bit of help from die_to_xxx who is from England living in Tokyo, told me that I just need to go to the post office, they have international ATM's. So as you can all imagine I am fuming that I have been using my credit card for purchases over here getting charged fee's all the time when I could have withdrew a lump sum.
...WOW!! Im surprised your wife didnt know that already!!I dont want to pry or anything but i think this is something that she should have told you about or discussed at the very LEAST.Especially you being a foriegner in an alien country!!.Im glad that now you have found a way to take ryu in to be seen by a vet,hopefully it is nothing more serious than an infection
I hope this doesnt come across as sexist but...I think IF I were you i would take the wife out and buy her a new skirt and treat myself to a pair of new trews and maybe you could show her who wears the pants in your house!!
Not as surprised as me though.

It is relatively serious, they ended up doing a blood test, which is good coz I was going to suggest it if he hadn't. Ryu's white blood cell count it 2x what it should be, the vet says it is probably from poisoning. We said we are 95% certain he has not gotten into anything he shouldn't, so the vet started questioning his food. In this heat, any food not eaten should be thrown away, this includes dry food, as the cats saliva has come in contact with the food and it just sits there. I never new that about dry food, figured it was safe.

He has some meds to take, which should fix the problem. Also he is not allowed to drink lots of water or that will make his upset stomach worse causing him to vomit more and more. Ryu must be kept separate from Diego and Neko as his saliva may be infected with whatever is causing that, thus he could pass it on.

Anyway 5,000en later he should be ok.
OOh another reason to keep him. We've already spent a fortune on him, so I see it as an investment. We must keep Ryu.

nightcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well i was off to bed,but this is very importantIf your cat is vomitting and dehydrated then you must NOT WITH HOLD WATER.Yes do not feed any food but you must not withold water,if your animal if vomitting then it needs to replace the lost fluid...if you withhold the water then the animal will become de hydrated.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nightcats

well i was off to bed,but this is very importantIf your cat is vomitting and dehydrated then you must NOT WITH HOLD WATER.Yes do not feed any food but you must not withold water,if your animal if vomitting then it needs to replace the lost fluid...if you withhold the water then the animal will become de hydrated.
But he vomits like a few seconds after drinking so it has no effect as such. It's bad for his throat and stomach to keep vomiting.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not as surprised as me though.

It is relatively serious, they ended up doing a blood test, which is good coz I was going to suggest it if he hadn't. Ryu's white blood cell count it 2x what it should be, the vet says it is probably from poisoning. We said we are 95% certain he has not gotten into anything he shouldn't, so the vet started questioning his food. In this heat, any food not eaten should be thrown away, this includes dry food, as the cats saliva has come in contact with the food and it just sits there. I never new that about dry food, figured it was safe.

He has some meds to take, which should fix the problem. Also he is not allowed to drink lots of water or that will make his upset stomach worse causing him to vomit more and more. Ryu must be kept separate from Diego and Neko as his saliva may be infected with whatever is causing that, thus he could pass it on.

Anyway 5,000en later he should be ok.
OOh another reason to keep him. We've already spent a fortune on him, so I see it as an investment. We must keep Ryu.

But he vomits like a few seconds after drinking so it has no effect as such. It's bad for his throat and stomach to keep vomiting.
Just to clarify, Ryu is only allowed 25mls of luke warm water with his food. He is not allowed to have a bowl of water at hand or he will drink too much and spew. I must monitor Ryu after he has a drink, if he does not vomit, then he can have a little extra water. I didn't mean he can't drink at all.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow is it really hot there?
That's new information to me about the dry food growing bacteria like that too!!!

I'm glad poor Ryu got his trip to the doctor and hopefully he'll be feeling better soon!!!

And I'm also sure you're relieved to a certain extent.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

Wow is it really hot there?
That's new information to me about the dry food growing bacteria like that too!!!

I'm glad poor Ryu got his trip to the doctor and hopefully he'll be feeling better soon!!!

And I'm also sure you're relieved to a certain extent.

Very hot and humid. I am somewhat relieved but still worried. I went through the entire house and there is definitely not a thing he could have gotten into, so we must assume food poisoning. The conditions in Japan a perfect for bacteria to grow. Being a chef I am more worried about things in this country than my own. It never would have crossed my mind that his own food would poison him. Actually its Diego's food, I only give Ryu wet and when he's done eating, any leftovers are thrown away. But yra, dry food wow.....

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it could just be because the wife left a bowl of water out which Ryu had access to, but either way I don't think the med's are working. I found 2 pools of vomit on the table and caught him about to puke on a cushion, but actually he had already puked some on to it which I hadn't noticed coz it was dark and I didn't turn the light on. anyway I nearly got him to his toilet but not quite.
I'm starting to get tired of cleaning up his vomit and if it was food poisoning like the vet suggested, the it should be starting to settle by now, I would imagine.

So if he ain't better by the morning then I will call the vet and see what else can be done, but without charging me any more, since it will be like a follow up.