Anyone use Vista?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to buy a new computer (and DH oh so nicely offered to buy me one this weekend!! I'll pay him back for it of course
) and am having my doubts about switching to Vista.

The problem is I need to run a lot of software on my computer for work purposes... and I've heard a lot of evil things about Vista not wanting to cooperate with certain software.

Has anyone run into problems with it?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been running Vista for quite a while at home and haven't had any real issues with it.

Since you're getting a new computer this shouldn't be an issue, but just be sure that you have enough memory to run it. The recommendations are 1 GB minimum, 2 GB recommended.

Most mainstream software works fine with it, though you might have to download an upgrade. For any proprietary software, I would check with the manufacturer. The smaller ones are getting the updates and upgrades out there, but it has been slow in coming.

Also, my husband just told me that Service Pack 1 is coming out in December/January and reports say that it improves performance by 200%. Those who are testing it are raving about it.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only suggestion I can make is to take time to get familiar with it. They modified many menu structures, so what once took you a couple of steps to do, might take you longer.

I had to learn how to set up a wireless connection on one and it was VERY different from XP.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Vista also. I had a little trouble at first getting it set up but it's fine now.
The only annoying thing to me is it asks you for permission to do EVERYTHING!
Oh and you can't remote desktop to another pc unless it's Vista.
I have 2 pcs and one has XP on it just for this purpose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Only suggestion I can make is to take time to get familiar with it. They modified many menu structures, so what once took you a couple of steps to do, might take you longer.

I had to learn how to set up a wireless connection on one and it was VERY different from XP.
Assuming I get a wireless network card and have a wireless router.. how hard do you think this would be?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I've been running Vista for quite a while at home and haven't had any real issues with it.

Most mainstream software works fine with it, though you might have to download an upgrade. For any proprietary software, I would check with the manufacturer. The smaller ones are getting the updates and upgrades out there, but it has been slow in coming.
Is there any specific software that hasn't run for you?

I heard somewhere else vista has issues with firefox. Do you use FF at all? I need IE7 for work stuff, but I like FF for other things.

Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Oh and you can't remote desktop to another pc unless it's Vista.
I have 2 pcs and one has XP on it just for this purpose.
Ok, I don't think I've ever done a remote desktop... but for the life of me I can't remember
Do you have any problems with an xp computer and a vista computer on the same network and file sharing that way?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't use Vista unless it was the absolute last possible OS, and I couldn't use paper and pen

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Assuming I get a wireless network card and have a wireless router.. how hard do you think this would be?
It's not that it's hard, it's just different.

I'm a technical writer and I had to write the instructions on how to set up Vista for wireless here at Purdue. I don't use Vista on a regular basis, so my experience is limited. lol It was very different from XP, but about the same difficulty level...if that makes sense?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I keep telling people to upgrade to XP.
EWWW!!!!
I prefer the Mac, or Ubuntu or other free open source operating systems. Much better in my opinion! Making the switch to non-Microsoft isn't as hard as it sounds!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I keep telling people to upgrade to XP.
Nice!

I'd actually rather stick with XP, but the only place I can find XP laptops right now is Dell, and it wouldn't arrive in time for what I need. (Erm, new job wants me to bring my computer with me for training... blech... so I need it by monday)

If my current computer weren't having issues (I swear this thing is going out the window!!!!) I wouldn't even be bothering with a new computer right now.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's not that it's hard, it's just different.

I'm a technical writer and I had to write the instructions on how to set up Vista for wireless here at Purdue. I don't use Vista on a regular basis, so my experience is limited. lol It was very different from XP, but about the same difficulty level...if that makes sense?
Any chance you can send me those instructions?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I heard somewhere else vista has issues with firefox. Do you use FF at all? I need IE7 for work stuff, but I like FF for other things.

Ok, I don't think I've ever done a remote desktop... but for the life of me I can't remember
Do you have any problems with an xp computer and a vista computer on the same network and file sharing that way?
Networking is a bit difficult. I have to have a friend come in and set mine up... if it will even work

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

EWWW!!!!
I prefer the Mac, or Ubuntu or other free open source operating systems. Much better in my opinion! Making the switch to non-Microsoft isn't as hard as it sounds!
Same here... I have one Mac, and two PC's... one runs XP (so many issues, it's not even funny), and the other is an 8 year old ... scratch that, 9 year old laptop (don't mind me, I can't count) that runs W98... can't come close to getting enough RAM to run XP... it stays offline as a writing computer. I just fed it a new memory card... the old one was dying...

I've heard lots of things about Vista... most of them bad... but I guess some folks are okay with it... me, I'd do Mac or a Linux machine... as long as your software can run on one of them... or there's a similar version of said software...

I
my Mac... when I get a new laptop in the coming months (please, Santa, bring me one... I'll make my stocking big enough, promise) I'd prefer a Mac... will take a Linux machine if I still can't afford a second Mac... I'd just love a laptop that'll run on it's own $$#%$ battery so I don't have to plug it in... sorry for that hijack... back to the conversation...

Meh... I haven't played with Vista yet... not really sure i want to...

A.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've given a lot of thought to switching to mac... haven't had one in a LONG time tho

But before I can even consider it, I have to check with the new company to see if their software will run on mac. I have no idea what they're using, so it could be something they've designed themselves which could lead to compatibility issues.

I swear they make this hard on purpose!

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've given a lot of thought to switching to mac... haven't had one in a LONG time tho

But before I can even consider it, I have to check with the new company to see if their software will run on mac. I have no idea what they're using, so it could be something they've designed themselves which could lead to compatibility issues.

I swear they make this hard on purpose!
You should switch!! Its completely worth the money. They are really hardy machines comparable to the high end PCs (which is about where the price lies). But they're better than the high end PCs because they're prettier and they run OSX instead of Windows - which almost anyone will agree is simply a stronger Operating System. They have their holes but they are few and far between. And to this day, a true Mac virus/trojan has never existed - hackers can't find holes in the system to do it.

If you're gonna have to relearn Vista you might as well learn OS X on a Mac instead. Vista was made in the same base system as OS X (Kernal) and has a TON of similarities. You're going to be learning how to use a new OS either way so it might as well be a Mac OS.

I switched a few months ago and won't go back, I love my new baby! (Macbook Pro low-end 15")

As far as compatibility - thats no problem anymore with Intel Macs! Just get parallels ($80) and anything that runs funny/won't run on a mac you just run in a windows partition on your harddrive - WHILE STILL IN OS X!! Its the best. No need for new software - just continue to use some of your old stuff in your Parallels until you need to buy new software - then get Mac versions.

If you want to save money you can get bootcamp for free - it does the same thing of running windows on your computer. But you have to restart and reboot in windows only (instead of both at the same time). (NOTE: You do need a copy of Windows to do these things - it doesn't come with the mac) Or if you can stand to wait a little while - Leopard is coming out and that will come with bootcamp built in (right now you download it for free from the mac site). But I wouldn't honestly recommend a New mac user get a brand new OS. Like all things new - its bound to have some problems and you want to love your mac, not be frustrated with it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alwaysaangel

they're better than the high end PCs because they're prettier
Spoken like a true Mac person

Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

I'm about to order Vista Business and place it on the network. 512 MB of ram is the minimum, but 1 GB is recommended (2 or 3 GB are better). That's on MS's web site. I was just looking today.

Will your work provide you with one? I'm just curious...if you look at PC Connection, they have a ton more XP machines than Vista right now. The contact I have said that all the customers were complaining about that.

If you buy one COTS then you'll probably have Vista.

Personally I would buy one now. They recently announced that Vista SP1 is currently in Beta mode this month and will be available soon.

I am interested in Ubuntu though.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Spoken like a true Mac person

Just kidding. I couldn't resist.
Haha. Well I was just gonna say stronger base OS. But then I looked at my keyboard and I thought..."aww its so pretty."

But in all seriousness I don't really believe either is superior to the other. It depends on what you need and in a lot of ways the mac is the "computer for dummies." They come with everything you need and are not customizable or upgradeable like most PCs.

So its all about what you're looking for. I was just sick of paying $50/year for Norton and having to reformat my POS HP every 6 months...it was a bad experience and using my bfs mac was such a good one that I switched, and haven't regretted it.

But it really does depend on a persons needs and preferences - they both have pros and cons.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Firefox is all I use.
Haven't had any issues with it since the latest FF update, which came out a while ago.

I haven't run into any particular software that doesn't run on it, but I really only need the mainstream stuff (i.e. Adobe, Office, stuff like that).