How To Ask?? NEED HELP URGENT

wannakit'n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heehee,
I want to get a kitten. I plan on asking my mum tonight or tomorrow or this weekend. But I don't know what the best way is....
I cleaned the house, made a poster board with cat info and reasons I should get a cat and pics of cats available for adoption in our area.
Some reasons I said I should get a cat are:
-I can pay for it
-It can live in my room and around the house supervised
-I already take care of the two cats we have now, but those aren't even my cats, I would love to have one that is mine and that I can raise.
-I can help pay for the cats we already have
-When I go to college in a few years my sister will have moved out by then so I can take the apartment above the garage and then the cat can live there.
-I have no problem taking care of the pets we have now, in fact I have a lot of extra time, plus I have watch my friend's pets many times before and still had a lot of time

I may also write her a letter and even maybe make her a cake

Does anyone else have any ideas??
I am really nervous that she will say no.

I hope everything works out well...

Any more advice would be really appreciated!!!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's fair to the cat to live in one tiny room.
It's also unrealistic.

And remember, cats are expensive. There's lots of vet bills just for HEALTHY cats, what if something goes wrong? I'm assuming you're too young to really work so the whole theory of "I can pay for it" wouldn't really pan out if the cat had health problems.

Also, planning what's going to happen "when you go to college" is difficult. A lot of things can change.

I think your mother is going to know she is footing most of the responsibility...it's not your fault, that's just how it is when young people get pets.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

I don't think it's fair to the cat to live in one tiny room.
It's also unrealistic.

And remember, cats are expensive. There's lots of vet bills just for HEALTHY cats, what if something goes wrong? I'm assuming you're too young to really work so the whole theory of "I can pay for it" wouldn't really pan out if the cat had health problems.
You never know. Just cut her some slack. At least she's looking into it before she just drags some random cat home!

Now, back to the OP:
First of all, you need to be 120% sure you can take care of the cat.

There are expenses such as food, kitty litter, scratching post, toys, treats, vet bills, etc.

Do you plan on getting the cat neutered/spayed? I sure hope so.
This does cost quite a bit of money.

You also have to consider vet bills, UTD on shots regularly, and what if the cat gets sick?

These are just some of the things you need to consider. I would suggest just sitting down and talking to your mom. You really need to show her your dedicated and financially able to take care of the cat.

Good luck

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

You never know. Just cut her some slack. At least she's looking into it before she just drags some random cat home!
You say that to me and then make the same exact points I did.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WannaKit'n

Heehee,
I want to get a kitten. I plan on asking my mum tonight or tomorrow or this weekend. But I don't know what the best way is....
I cleaned the house, made a poster board with cat info and reasons I should get a cat and pics of cats available for adoption in our area.
Some reasons I said I should get a cat are:
-I can pay for it
-It can live in my room and around the house supervised
-I already take care of the two cats we have now, but those aren't even my cats, I would love to have one that is mine and that I can raise.
-I can help pay for the cats we already have
-When I go to college in a few years my sister will have moved out by then so I can take the apartment above the garage and then the cat can live there.
-I have no problem taking care of the pets we have now, in fact I have a lot of extra time, plus I have watch my friend's pets many times before and still had a lot of time

I may also write her a letter and even maybe make her a cake

Does anyone else have any ideas??
I am really nervous that she will say no.

I hope everything works out well...

Any more advice would be really appreciated!!!
Hi there.....I know you want a kitten...but how old are your other 2 cats?? It's actually not a wise idea to bring a kitten into a household with cats that are over the age of 5 years of age. Also, by having the kitten live in your room, it is going to be lonely while you are away and could develop some destructive habits while it searches for things to "play" with. Oftentimes, it is best to get a kitten with a friend so that when you aren't home it has a buddy.

Just something to read:

http://www.pawschicago.org/PetCare/catsinpairs.htm

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannakit'n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
AH! lol

To answer all your questions:

I am 15, I can't have a job now, but when I turn 16 in a alittle while I can get a job. I also babysit and petsit.
My dad said that if the cat needs to go to the vet and I don't have enough money he will pay then I can pay him back over time. I have already worked out the cost of food/litter and everything per month.

As for living in a 'tiny room' it won't. My bedroom is not that small. But it will only live in there some of the time. When I am at school it can be in our bonus room which is quite big. Plus I said it can walk around the house supervised, so basically when I am home.

The two cats I have now are 16 and 19. But those cats and this cat won't really see each other because those are outdoor cats most of the time.

Oh yes and it will be neutered/spayed but I don't even have to pay for that because when you adopt a cat from the Humane Society they pay for that.