Can I use dog shampoo on a cat?

squidink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife accidentally bought a bottle of "Fresh 'n Clean tearless puppy shampoo" for the cat. Do you think it's alright if we use it on the kitty? Or is there a great difference between dog and cat shampoos?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most puppy shampoo's are mild. You can call the company and ask. Read the label. Most likely if it can be used on cats they will tell you on the back.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No - please take it back. Dog shampoos should not be used on cats as they have some ingredients that are harmful to cats - namely tea tree oil. Use a shampoo made just for cats or use a good quality people shampoo like Pantane or Nexxus (and use a conditioner too).

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

No - please take it back. Dog shampoos should not be used on cats as they have some ingredients that are harmful to cats - namely tea tree oil. Use a shampoo made just for cats or use a good quality people shampoo like Pantane or Nexxus (and use a conditioner too).
Not all dog shampoo's have harmful ingredients for cats though. It is true tea tree should not be used on cats, as well as tar. But if it says it can be used on cats it will be ok. And if it says Tea tree or tar on it and says it's ok for cats, sue their pants off!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NO!I had a professional groomer make that mistake, and my cat died three days later. Please don't use over the counter pet shampoos for your cat unless it is specifically says for cats only. The best thing to use, is just a few drops of Dawn liquid soap for dishes. Original not antibacterial or scented.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, unless it says "FOR CATS" I wouldn't use it.
Why take the chance?
But frankly I wouldn't use any over the counter pet shampoo or medication.
I'd buy something from the Vet, it might cost more but in the long run the extra price would be worth it.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't use it unless it says it is safe for both dogs and cats - even if it is a puppy shampoo don't assume it is safe unless you read on the label it is okay for cats.
I use shampoo that is safe for both dogs and cats. Works for my Sphynx and for my dog with allergies.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You mean I can't have a "lemon or grapefruit" smelling kitty

I use good old Pantene shampoo and conditioner and my babies come outta the tub nice -n- clean and fluffy.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most dog shampoos are not good to use on a cat. And they hide it in very fine print. Sometimes near the bottom of the back label. There are ingredients used in many dog shampoos that can actually be harmful to a cat.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Not all dog shampoo's have harmful ingredients for cats though. It is true tea tree should not be used on cats, as well as tar. But if it says it can be used on cats it will be ok. And if it says Tea tree or tar on it and says it's ok for cats, sue their pants off!
Really?!

The time I took Maisie to the vet and she pooped and vomited all over herself in the carrier, we stopped off at a pet shop to get some shampoo. You can see it here if you scroll down to shampoos ( Tee tree shampoo for dogs and cat )

http://www.johnsons-vet.com/cats/healthcare/

It was all they had apart from colour enhancing shampoos. I asked them if it was safe for cats and was told, 'We wouldn`t sell it it if wasn`t safe, would we.' And ' Why would they make it if it wasn`t safe?'
So I just used a few drops mixed into a bowl of warm water. Maisie was and is fine but I`m not going to use it again.

How can they still be selling it if Tea tree is so bad?

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use dog shampoo on my cat. Its an oatmeal type. I took the bottle in to the vet, and he read the ingredients and said it was safe, but to dilute it 10%. I've been using it for months and it works great.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Really?!

The time I took Maisie to the vet and she pooped and vomited all over herself in the carrier, we stopped off at a pet shop to get some shampoo. You can see it here if you scroll down to shampoos ( Tee tree shampoo for dogs and cat )

It was all they had apart from colour enhancing shampoos. I asked them if it was safe for cats and was told, 'We wouldn`t sell it it if wasn`t safe, would we.' And ' Why would they make it if it wasn`t safe?'
So I just used a few drops mixed into a bowl of warm water. Maisie was and is fine but I`m not going to use it again.

Yes, it is true that tea tree oil is bad for cats and yet some companies still make it and sell it. Some people still use it and have no problem with it. But there is evidence that it can be toxic to cats.

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
never use a dog or puppy shampoo on a cat why because cats lick themselves and dogs don't usually the dog shampoo is a lot stronger that a cat shampoo i would try to return it and get cat shampoo

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Yes, it is true that tea tree oil is bad for cats and yet some companies still make it and sell it. Some people still use it and have no problem with it. But there is evidence that it can be toxic to cats.
That`s terrible! I`m going to e-mail them and see what they have to say.
I used to use their flea drops but they didn`t work and I bought Kitty their cod liver oil and found that can be dangerous too.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

NO!I had a professional groomer make that mistake, and my cat died three days later. Please don't use over the counter pet shampoos for your cat unless it is specifically says for cats only. The best thing to use, is just a few drops of Dawn liquid soap for dishes. Original not antibacterial or scented.
You CAN use anti-bacterial dawn, that is what I have always used, and even on the label they have the picture of wildlife, it is the one they use to get tar and and stuff off ducks and other wildlife. I ONLY use anti-bacterial. Works amazingly.

I agree though, don't bother spending the money on fancy cat specific shampoos, just use Dawn, anti-bacterial or not.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

You CAN use anti-bacterial dawn, that is what I have always used, and even on the label they have the picture of wildlife, it is the one they use to get tar and and stuff off ducks and other wildlife. I ONLY use anti-bacterial. Works amazingly.

I agree though, don't bother spending the money on fancy cat specific shampoos, just use Dawn, anti-bacterial or not.
Hi Jen!
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. I understand that you haven't had any problems with the antibacterial but I think for some cat's, it may be playing with fire. Every animal has varying internal organ functions and may be ok for ducks might not be for some cats. It's just like the tea tree oil. Some cats seem to tolerate it ok but many others don't. But cat's absorb easily throught the skin (which is also an organ). Or if someone else uses it and doesn't rinse as well as you may, the cat could be a heavy licker and ingest more then it can tolerate. For those who have never used the antibacterial Dawn, I'd stick to the regular. Just to be safe. I think it's always best to stay on the safe side.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Really?!

I wouldn't consider Johnsons to be a quality shampoo. But their tea tree is likely so diluted that it's not doing it's job for the dogs so therefore isn't having an effect on cats. Which is likely why they haven't been sued for it. Natural shampoo's are not controlled by any organization. So therefore that's how they can get away with it. Some other companies may put it on there by accident and then change it.

It astounds me this board has so very low of an opinion on cat specific shampoos. I realize cats do not get bathed as often. But even those that do bath more regularly are using dish soap (which strips). We have to remember that a cats skin does not have pours. And it takes months for them to rejuvinate skin. So what is mildly harsh for us is very harsh for them.

I'll shut up now.. I have a very strong opinion due to working in the pet shampoo industry for many years.. This by far is a topic that makes me very irritated when I hear so much information that IMO is wrong.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use quality human shampoos - only recommend the dishsoap if you have nothing better to use and its not used on a regular basis.

Charlie does have a specific Pet shampoo for shows that the breeder uses on her cats.