please help my kitty having runny poos

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello forum members,

Im worried about Figo. Generally he is a very happy healthy kitty, eats, drinks and plays well. I feed him whiskas wet food in gravy and royal canin dried food as snack. Today suddenly after he ate a bit of his meal(wet food), he went and did a very runny and extremely smelly poo in his litter tray. My suspicion is he might have eaten a bug? He loves hunting bugs from all corners of the house. The entire house filled up with stink and it has never happened before. I cleaned his soiled paws and then his litter tray and within 5 mins he went again and had a runny poo again. Excuse my words but kindof sticky loose poo.

The breeder had told me that if he has runny poo, just keep him off food for 8 hours and then feed him very little little. He seems hungry because he came after me in kitchen and meowed asking for food. I feel bad but i think he should lay off food for a few hours. He hasnt been to the litter the 3rd time, but incase he does Ihave no idea what to do. Kindly help me with some advice on what to do to stop his motions. Im sure he must feel pain in his tummy and want him to be alright soon.

Thank youl.

kez.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has bacteria that is causing this, he will have to "clean out" before the diarrhea stops, which is why the vet advised you that way. If he did eat an insect or his food is not agreeing with him, it's still advisable to let the "runs" run their course. I wouldn't fast him for any longer than 8 hours as this could create other problems; and when you do feed him wet food, I suggest mixing it with some rice, either white or brown, mashed up or whole. This will help "bind him up".

I would not suggest feeding him supermarket brands of food as they are of inferior quality. The Royal Canin dry is a good choice and perhaps where you buy it, they can advise you on a good wet food to buy for him for his age and so forth; or you might visit the forums here at TCS for advice from others as to what they'd recommend food-wise. GOOD LUCK to you and to him -- keep us posted, okay?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you tarasgirl,

yes we will keep him off food for the night, then tomorrow morning we will give him some boiled chicken mashed up with boiled rice. He doesnt drink water so i have to spoon water in his mouth from time to time. If he gets more runs in the night, i will take him to the vet tomorrow. Also thank you for the advice on wet food...I will go to the pet shop tomorrow and ask them for a good cat food... but if i switch food again, wont he get the runs again?

Thank you again.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Keziah:

That's a good plan of action and yes, switching food "cold" can often cause digestive upsets, so the chicken and rice is a good choice, after which you can probably put him back on the Royal Canin and when you intro a new wet food, you may want to give him only tiny bits at a time, perhaps even mixed with the chicken and rice, or even the Royal Canin. See what others on TCS might recommend, too, as I'm not an authority by any means. My eldest, Nicolas, frequently gets "the runs" because, I guess, of his age; he's checked out healthy so it's not a health problem. It's too bad, and inconvenient! but we swear by Nature's Miracle Just For Cats enzymatic cleaner, and as for food, we keep to our regular diet of variety premium wet and dry foods, and fresh water.

GOOD LUCK to you and your little guy!

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Dear Keziah:

That's a good plan of action and yes, switching food "cold" can often cause digestive upsets, so the chicken and rice is a good choice, after which you can probably put him back on the Royal Canin and when you intro a new wet food, you may want to give him only tiny bits at a time, perhaps even mixed with the chicken and rice, or even the Royal Canin. See what others on TCS might recommend, too, as I'm not an authority by any means. My eldest, Nicolas, frequently gets "the runs" because, I guess, of his age; he's checked out healthy so it's not a health problem. It's too bad, and inconvenient! but we swear by Nature's Miracle Just For Cats enzymatic cleaner, and as for food, we keep to our regular diet of variety premium wet and dry foods, and fresh water.

GOOD LUCK to you and your little guy!
Thank you Tarasgirl,

I shall follow your advice and also keep looking in the forum for more advice from other members. I think it is going to be a difficult night, Figo is hungry and going to the kitchen now and then for food. Im feeling very bad but i guess it is for his own good.

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

YES it is and thank you for following through.

In the future, you're going to be glad you did, when Figo's happy and healthy again!
Hello Tarasgirl,

Last night Figo was ok...he hasnt had any runs since last night... today morning I gave him boiled chicken with some rice which he ate quickly. How many hours gap should I give before giving him his next meal? I thought about 4-5 hours? Im going to keep a check on his litter as well. Also how many hours in a day do kittens sleep? He sleeps a good few hours everyday but he is active as well. I cant make out if he is just having his normal sleep or is he still feeling sick. I guess he wouldnt be eating if he was sick, but he did eat well. I would also appreciate some advice on premium cat food(wet) that is available in uk. I am going to call the pet shop food supply store as well.

Thank you very much

keziah.

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again,

Figo hasnt been having runs after last night, but today he is just sleeping, waking up and walking a bit and mostly trying to relax only. He is usually running around... do you think it is just that he is still feeling a bit sick? Is it ok for him to rest like that?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Keziah:

Sounds good to me on the feeding schedule! It's too bad you can't have a vet check him though -- he could take his temperature and from that, tell if he has a fever or not, which if he does, could be causing him to feel a little "off"; but kittens, like small kids, are very very active, and then very very tired, so the sleeping doesn't sound unusual by itself. As for wet foods, unfortunately, I'm "across the pond" in California, so don't know what foods are available to you; but if you go to the forum on TCS concerned with feeding and care, you can post your request and I'm sure some of our UK members can help you out with that! GOOD LUCK to you and your little angel boy!

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Dear Keziah:

Sounds good to me on the feeding schedule! It's too bad you can't have a vet check him though -- he could take his temperature and from that, tell if he has a fever or not, which if he does, could be causing him to feel a little "off"; but kittens, like small kids, are very very active, and then very very tired, so the sleeping doesn't sound unusual by itself. As for wet foods, unfortunately, I'm "across the pond" in California, so don't know what foods are available to you; but if you go to the forum on TCS concerned with feeding and care, you can post your request and I'm sure some of our UK members can help you out with that! GOOD LUCK to you and your little angel boy!
Hi Tarasgirl,

Yest we took Figo to the vet. She took his temperature, and he did not have any fever so that was good. She said hes just got upset tummy and gave some probiotic powder. Figo had 2 stools today morning, but not the runny ones so that was a relief... Im going to keep him on his dry royal canin biscuits and boiled chicken for a while. I put some glucose in his water so he gets some energy. Vet said to watch him for a couple of days, and if he isnt better, to bring him back. I pray and hope he gets well soon.

Thank you for your advice.

I will keep you posted reg him.

keziah.

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Dear Keziah:

Sounds like you have a good vet and that what you're doing so far is working -- isn't success a relief?
Dear Tarasgirl,

Today afternoon Figo again had 2 stools which were not as firm as they should be, kindof pasty and smelly too. I know when he is having stool issue cos usually his stools dont smell that much. Should i put him off food again for a while? im concerned now. Last he was wormed was on 16 july, how often should kittens be wormed? He is 14 weeks old. Please advice me, its very stressful for me and im sure for baby figo as well

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Worming is harsh in itself and can certainly upset the digestive tract, and should only be done when absolutely necessary. The doctor can perform a simple test to determine whether Figo still has any worms; he shouldn't have them, and hopefully he is kept indoors-only, where he won't get them again, most likely.

Fasting is really not good for cats, but you may want to feed him dry food only, and water, of course, for awhile. Also, you may want to ask the doctor about probiotics (like acidophilus and other "friendly" bacteria which aid the digestive system's health for humans and for cats) for him. They are available at "pet" supply stores, but in a young kitten, I'd want the doctor to prescribe.

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Worming is harsh in itself and can certainly upset the digestive tract, and should only be done when absolutely necessary. The doctor can perform a simple test to determine whether Figo still has any worms; he shouldn't have them, and hopefully he is kept indoors-only, where he won't get them again, most likely.

Fasting is really not good for cats, but you may want to feed him dry food only, and water, of course, for awhile. Also, you may want to ask the doctor about probiotics (like acidophilus and other "friendly" bacteria which aid the digestive system's health for humans and for cats) for him. They are available at "pet" supply stores, but in a young kitten, I'd want the doctor to prescribe.
Dear Tarasgirl,

Im very grateful to you for your advice. I will watch Figo and and take him back to the vet soon. He is a completely indoor kitten so I hope that helps. Gave him some boiled chicken which he ate. Vet has given some probiotic powder which im giving him regularly. Thanks a ton and i will keep you posted.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're an excellent caregiver to Figo and it sounds as if he should be on the mend very soon -- you know little kittens' digestive systems are prone to upset, and I'm sure that if you read other posters' experiences in the Kitten Care forum, you'll know you're far from the only ones to go through this. It is kinda scary, but bear with it -- you're doing all the right things, and I think that Figo will soon be happy, healthy, bouncy, and REGULAR!