Bengal question

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do bengals come by their silky coats? It's not from the ALC is it?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pelt is from the ALC ... the silk is likely the Maus( spelling) and siamese in many bengal lines

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant the silky feel of the bengal coat. I've never petted a mau but I've had siamese and they don't have coats as silky as bengals.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a combination of factors, and not all bengals have the silky pelt, or they have it to a lesser degree. The ALC provides the "pelted" feel to the coat.

On a side note, siamese weren't used in the bengal breed to my knowledge. It was the Burmese.

Of course the Burmese has siamese lines.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

It's a combination of factors, and not all bengals have the silky pelt, or they have it to a lesser degree. The ALC provides the "pelted" feel to the coat.
Lucky me! Coco is very soft and silky. She gets an unfair share of petting because of it!

Thanks for the info!

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine feel like lush velvet! Since they're related, it's not surprising that both have the soft coats. They're just about the softest kitties I've ever encountered.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By the way, what breeder is Coco from? She looks so much like our Lily, who is from Kajari Bengals in Las Vegas.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pennicat

By the way, what breeder is Coco from? She looks so much like our Lily, who is from Kajari Bengals in Las Vegas.
The poor little sweetie is a rescue from an irresponsible, and unknown to me, Houston breeder. Thus her lineage is very much in doubt but in my inexpert and completely biased opinion she has pretty good type (is that the right phrase?).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at Nial's bengals and getting to see bengals in person at the shows, I'm getting a lot better in telling what a bengal looks like; comparing to an Ocicat

After you see them side by side and more in person, you start being able to "spot" the bengals fairly easily

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco's breeder did claim to be breeding bengals. But given the circumstances I would never try to claim Coco as "pure bred". Not that I give a hoot! She's a bonzer little kitty!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
she is adorable and a good looking girl

thank you Nial for the correction

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

she is adorable and a good looking girl
Aww, Thanks! I just love her to death!

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she certainly is a cutey. Here's a picture of Lily so you can see how similar they look in the face:

Here's a full body shot - having not seen a pic of Coco other than her face though, can't tell what the similarity is:

These were taken when she was about 6-7 months old by their Purebreed Rescue foster meowmy. It's hard to believe that their original "father" surrendered these wonderful kitties. I imagine he was supposed to get them back to the breeder if he couldn't keep them, but they're several states away. Once the Rescue coordinator got them altered, the breeder did supply their pedigree paperwork, so they know that Lily and Rajah ended up going to a new family. Well, I digress - anyway, her "pelt" is so soft that I can't even believe it.

Kristi

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic that shows her body a bit better. She isn't a snow (obviously) but I agree their faces are quit similair.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wow - from your signature image, I thought she was a snow! She's a cutey though - I love the more traditional brown ones, but I've ended up with both a Snow and a Silver, who I love dearly.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Here's a pic that shows her body a bit better. She isn't a snow (obviously) but I agree their faces are quit similair.
Your girl is definitely bengal and doesn't look to be mixed at all. Based on the pics you've provided, I personally wouldn't question that she is purebred.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Your girl is definitely bengal and doesn't look to be mixed at all. Based on the pics you've provided, I personally wouldn't question that she is purebred.
Thanks! That's good to know. Personally I think anyone who hears the sounds that come out of her mouth couldn't help but be convinced! It's a good thing I knew before I got her that bengals make strange noises or I would have hustled her to the vet within an hour!