My mom is getting an early birthday present tomorrow!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww i'm sooo excited!!! My mom has decided to adopt one of my sister Kimmy's foster puppies (my sister is a new foster mommy for our shelter
) Today i'm going to get all the puppies and take them up to the shelter and then tomorrow they will be altared/vaccinated and ready to go to good new homes. Flowerbelle is a tri color 13" Beagle puppy and is a total darling!
She's very good natured and is not a howler at all! She will be 6 weeks old on friday. Her mommy, Claire had her in my sister's home (my sister fosters pregnant mommas/puppies from our shelter) My mom is just thrilled about getting her new pup! She will no doubt have her spoiled rotten in less than an hour
My mom is sooo excited!:blush;

I am going to pay the donation fee to adopt her and i will microhip her. I'm also planning to head to the pet store and get her some good food, her own copy of "the loved dog", bowls, bedding,etc today
(my mom doesn't know i'm doing all that.) Her birthday is on the 17th so i figured getting her things for her new baby and covering the adoption fee/etc would be the best present for her
Aww i'm sooo excited for little Flowerbelle....she couldn't ask for a better forever home- my mom is soooo amazing with animals!
She will be indoors only, and spoiled to death

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to pick up miss flowerbelle & her littermates in a little while to take them to the shelter for their surgery tomorrow
After that i'm going to go do a little retail therapy at the petstore and get some cute stuff for her.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww , thats wonderfull , i bet she couldnt ask for a better presant, and flowerbella will have her new forever happy home. i hope all goes well.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

aww , thats wonderfull , i bet she couldnt ask for a better presant, and flowerbella will have her new forever happy home. i hope all goes well.
Thanks!!
I know Flowerbelle will have an amazing home with her too- so i'm estatic my mom's adopting her!
I'm going to go out tonight and get a few little cute things for her (bowls/etc) to put in a little gift basket for my mom as an early birthday present for her. She is just estatic over this puppy! I hope flowerbelle adjusts well

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww that sounds like it will be really great for your mom. You sound ike me - getting more excited about giving gifts than getting.

But I have a question...whats an indoor only dog? Don't they need to go out to play and potty?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

That sounds wonderful Nikki!
Aww i'm soo happy over the whole thing!
I took the puppies up to the shelter this afternoon and we took their pictures (soooooooooo cute!
) They are going to be "dogs of the week" tomorrow on our local radio station!!!!!!!!
(we have SOOO many puppies right now we're trying to find some really good homes for them all). They also got their shots, dewormer and their nails trimmed today
My sister gave them baths this morning so they are all nice and soft! Tomorrow they will be altared (and i will microchip Flowerbelle) and then be ready for adoption!
My mom is just estatic over adopting flower!
Tonight i went out and got her a dish, leash & collar, doggie tooth brush, some toys, and "puppies for dummies" (i'm also going to let her borrow my copy of "the loved dog"- that book rocks!)" I made a little gift bag for my mom and i'm going to give that to her tomorrow as an early birthday present with flowerbelle!
(i have a little pink bow to put on Flowerbelle's coller) It's going to be darling!

Originally Posted by alwaysaangel

Awww that sounds like it will be really great for your mom. You sound ike me - getting more excited about giving gifts than getting.

But I have a question...whats an indoor only dog? Don't they need to go out to play and potty?
Thankyou!!!!
I definitely prefer giving gifts rather than recieving- it's just sooo sweet!
My mom is going to have this pup spoiled rotten in no time too

An indoor only dog means that they live, sleep, eat, drink, etc inside only with their owners. They are not left outside all day long while owners are at work/etc in the weather and elements. They only go outside on a leash to potty and play or go for walks. All of my dogs (big ones!) are indoors only- it is truely the most safe option for them. Sooo many dogs get stolen out of people's yards and used as baits in fight rings, etc....many dogs get loose from yards and run off and get hit by cars or in fights with other animals over territory. Many get exposed to diseases/insect infestations more so than indoor only dogs as indoor only dogs are only outside for brief periods of time to potty/play. Keeping a dog inside is the responsible thing to do- so that is why my mom is going to keep little Flowerbelle indoors only
It's much safer that way.

Also, Beagles are scent dogs- they will put their little noses to the ground and FOLLOW wherever that scent they like may take them (including outside of the backyard) Those little buggars are excellent diggers and will easily escape if unsupervised. So it is best for that breed especially to be indoors only

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Aww i'm soo happy over the whole thing!
I took the puppies up to the shelter this afternoon and we took their pictures (soooooooooo cute!
) They are going to be "dogs of the week" tomorrow on our local radio station!!!!!!!!
(we have SOOO many puppies right now we're trying to find some really good homes for them all). They also got their shots, dewormer and their nails trimmed today
My sister gave them baths this morning so they are all nice and soft! Tomorrow they will be altared (and i will microchip Flowerbelle) and then be ready for adoption!
My mom is just estatic over adopting flower!
Tonight i went out and got her a dish, leash & collar, doggie tooth brush, some toys, and "puppies for dummies" (i'm also going to let her borrow my copy of "the loved dog"- that book rocks!)" I made a little gift bag for my mom and i'm going to give that to her tomorrow as an early birthday present with flowerbelle!
(i have a little pink bow to put on Flowerbelle's coller) It's going to be darling!

Thankyou!!!!
I definitely prefer giving gifts rather than recieving- it's just sooo sweet!
My mom is going to have this pup spoiled rotten in no time too

An indoor only dog means that they live, sleep, eat, drink, etc inside only with their owners. They are not left outside all day long while owners are at work/etc in the weather and elements. They only go outside on a leash to potty and play or go for walks. All of my dogs (big ones!) are indoors only- it is truely the most safe option for them. Sooo many dogs get stolen out of people's yards and used as baits in fight rings, etc....many dogs get loose from yards and run off and get hit by cars or in fights with other animals over territory. Many get exposed to diseases/insect infestations more so than indoor only dogs as indoor only dogs are only outside for brief periods of time to potty/play. Keeping a dog inside is the responsible thing to do- so that is why my mom is going to keep little Flowerbelle indoors only
It's much safer that way.

Also, Beagles are scent dogs- they will put their little noses to the ground and FOLLOW wherever that scent they like may take them (including outside of the backyard) Those little buggars are excellent diggers and will easily escape if unsupervised. So it is best for that breed especially to be indoors only
Hmm. Thanks for explaining. I guess I've never thought of it like that. I've always felt that its important for a dog to have a big yard to run around in. But someone was pretty much always home in my house growing up so they came in when they wanted to.

Interesting way to look at it though, I'd just never heard of it before.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alwaysaangel

Hmm. Thanks for explaining. I guess I've never thought of it like that. I've always felt that its important for a dog to have a big yard to run around in. But someone was pretty much always home in my house growing up so they came in when they wanted to.

Interesting way to look at it though, I'd just never heard of it before.
No problem!
Any chance to educate a little is a great one!
There are really countless benefits to having an animal indoors only. At the same time though i agree with you- they definitely need tons of exercise and play time!!!
It should just be supervised and in a safe enclosure (such as a fenced in backyard with the owner present so they don't dig out/etc). Our dogs are really high energy, we have an Australian Shepherd and a Carolina Dog and my house and so we go outside with them in the yard several times a day and spend a long time playing with them and running around with them
They keep us in good shape too!
Every dog needs good exercise!

crouchingcheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's awesome! My mom's dog just had puppies (we won't go there, I'm still mad at her for not getting Harley fixed in time), they're six weeks old now and just adorable!

If I could fit another dog in my house I'd take one of the puppies in an instant, I just love puppy breath!

Say thanks to your sister for me, she's doing a great thing, and so are you too!

Indoors only really is the best option for any pet (well, except livestock, I can make an exception for them, lol). I'm reading a book called "Animals and the Afterlife" and so many of the stories are of cats and dogs who got hit on the road, and I can't fathom why these people who loved their pets so much let them out unsupervised so often! My dogs are never off-leash outside (don't have a yard yet, we're saving up for a house), and my cats never go outside. On the rare occasion (vet, just taking Julius out for a little while because he loooooves it outside, etc.) they're either in a carrier, or in Julius' case, in a harness and on a leash.

I hope your mom and the new love of her life have a great long time together!

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CrouchingCheese

Indoors only really is the best option for any pet (well, except livestock, I can make an exception for them, lol). I'm reading a book called "Animals and the Afterlife" and so many of the stories are of cats and dogs who got hit on the road, and I can't fathom why these people who loved their pets so much let them out unsupervised so often!
Well a lot of people think the animal is better living a really happy life for 5 years, than 10 in a space too small for them.

I'm not saying people who do indoor dogs do that. But thats my parents attitude toward it and to a point I agree (but we live on a quiet cul-de-sac in a really safe area - no ones pet has ever gotten run over or stolen on our street - plus everyone has enclosed backyards where they usually stay).

My new kitty (16 days away!) will be indoor only. But a lot of the cats my parents had (mostly strays and ferals) REALLY loved it outside. I couldn't really have imagined locking them in. And neither could my parents. We had rabbits once - my parents gave them free reign of the backyard and they loved it. One loved it os much he gave himself a heart attack from running around so much the first day; the others died of natural causes.

I dunno - I can see both ways - for an animal to be caged for a really long life doesn't seem much fun (as most rabbits/bunnies are); nor does it seem fun for a cat who grew up wild to be dragged indoors and cut off from hunting. I really think it depends on the situation, the animal, and where the owner lives.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!!! Everything went sooo well today!!! We aired our beagle puppies as dogs of the week today (my sister's litter and another foster mom's litter that were all born around the same time for a grand total of 10 i believe) They ALL got adopted to good homes!!!!

Flowerbelle had her surgery today and did very well
My mom came and got her tonight and was just thrilled about her! I put a big pink bow on her collar and she just looked darling!!!
She is sooooo cute!!!!! I'm sure my mom will take lots of pictures of her tonight, so i'll have to see if i can get some!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just talked to my mom a little while ago. She said that little Flowerbelle was soooooo good last night! She didn't have a single accident eithor!

My mom took her potty 3x during the night and she went outside every time
She's such a smart puppy too! She's cought right on to potty training without any problems at all!

My mom said that she slept on the bed with her- she slept on her back with all 4 legs in the air and her little head proped up on my mom's head
How cute!!!!! Aww i'm glad she's doing well so far! My mom said that Ginger (12 yr old doggies) and Abilene (her kitty) are NOT happy
Hopefully they will all gradually adjust well though.