New kitty has strange but funny habit...

3crazykitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I recently found a stray near my house, very hungry and skinny so I decided to take her in. She adjusted pretty quickly...knew how to use the litter box, use a scratching post etc. and was very very affectionate and unafraid of people. Based on all this, we assumed she must have been a house cat that got away.

Well, recently we have been wondering if she escaped from the circus!! Apparently sometimes she just sits on her hind legs and claps her paws together over and over...like she is either giving you a round of applause, pulling on a rope, or begging! Well, the last option seemed the most feasible until we noticed her doing it by herself in a room, while seemingly no one was watching. Of course every time she does it, the camera is no where nearby

In my life, I have probably had about 20 cats and I have never seen this before. A friend of mine said her cat does this...anyone else? Why is she doing this? Scratching her armpits maybe? No really, any advice is greatly appreciated!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3crazykitties

Hello all! I recently found a stray near my house, very hungry and skinny so I decided to take her in. She adjusted pretty quickly...knew how to use the litter box, use a scratching post etc. and was very very affectionate and unafraid of people. Based on all this, we assumed she must have been a house cat that got away.
I don't have an explaination for her behavior. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I have to wonder...did you not try to locate an owner who might have been frantically trying to find her?????????

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3crazykitties

Well, recently we have been wondering if she escaped from the circus!! Apparently sometimes she just sits on her hind legs and claps her paws together over and over...like she is either giving you a round of applause, pulling on a rope, or begging! Well, the last option seemed the most feasible until we noticed her doing it by herself in a room, while seemingly no one was watching. Of course every time she does it, the camera is no where nearby

In my life, I have probably had about 20 cats and I have never seen this before. A friend of mine said her cat does this...anyone else? Why is she doing this? Scratching her armpits maybe? No really, any advice is greatly appreciated!
My Lucy also does that when the sun is pouring in and dust particles go flying by. She's obviously telling me I'm not a good housekeeper!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3crazykitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

My Lucy also does that when the sun is pouring in and dust particles go flying by. She's obviously telling me I'm not a good housekeeper!
LOL, while I can be blamed for that as well...I dont think thats what she is doing because its so robotic! She usually does it like 5-7 times. Very weird!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3crazykitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

I don't have an explaination for her behavior. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I have to wonder...did you not try to locate an owner who might have been frantically trying to find her?????????
Guess I left that part out...thought it would be assumed that a decent person would do that. We live in a very rural area with only 2 neighborhoods next to ours. We found her on our nature trail. There were no signs out for her. We also have a blog...no one had posted for her. We saw her at least 5 days in a row (and fed her) before we went walking around asking about her. No one we talked to was looking for her, but someone told us that they had seen her out there for at least 6 months and that an animal had been attacking her....so when we picked her up we saw that she was injured and we thought we had the green light to take her to the vet. Honestly, Im baffled why no one was looking for her! Poor thing.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! The reason I had to ask if you had looked for an owner is because some people in my town see a cat, and either keep it for themselves or rehome it without ever once making any effort to find out if the cat already has a home. I guess these people aren't decent, but I'm glad you are, and were able to give this poor baby a new home and a fresh start in life.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`ve seen a video of someones cat doing that on here I think! I`m pretty sure it was one of Coasters cats and he was sat on top of a post doing it. Very cute

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My guess would also be that she's hunting invisible objects... dust motes or glints of sunlight.