People should stop being so discrimatory!!!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm mad, and even more upset, then usual.. Emotions running high today..

Well we adopted Spike,, I have to download some pictures for you.. But he's a full Rottweiler.. and I already a female rottix. I've learned not to say the word around ignorant people because they think our dogs are gonna bite their face off or something.. It's soo discrimatory,, it's not even funny.

So I tell my friend co-worker that I adopted another dog, and EASE DROPPING my ignorant wench of a co-worker pipes up and says you got another Rottweiler. Well don't be crying when your child is bitten by it,, your the bad mother here!! (I've got a few choice words for her,, which I won't say but she a stupid
)

Anyways,, it just makes me soo mad,, because Spike is soo gentle and so sweet, and literally wouldn't hurt a fly,, he can't even catch one.. and Sheba,, we've had her for 2 years, and she's gentle and sweet, and they'd both soon lick you to death then hurt you..

It just makes me soo mad when people lump my baby dogs into a catergory because something has gone bad with other dogs.. Crap they dogs they have, have gone crazy and bite people.. There animals, people..

Sorry I had to rant!!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like it either. I have a German Shepherd, and while they don't quite as bad of a reputation of Pit Bulls and Rotties... I have many people ask me how I can have an agressive dog. Thunder is my son, I have raised him since 12 weeks old and he goes EVERYWHERE with us. We go to auctions and most people are amazed at how calmly he walks by my side and sits when I stop. We even went to a livestock auction and he was the only dog allowed in with the horses because he was so calm around them.
I have known many Rotties in my life and I love the breed. Your description of Spike sounds like one very special dog that I knew and I just have to share his story with you. When I worked for animal control in Ohio County, we got a call one day from someone who lived up the road from the shelter. They stated that a Rottweiler had been chained up inside of a large wire dog crate, and was thrown out of the back of a truck into the ditch. We went and picked him up.
He had a chain embedded into his neck, was very skinny, and had horrible skin problems. The vet estimated him to be around 8-10 years old. We named him Dylan. I have never met a sweeter dog in all my life. He spent a few nights with me after his surgery, and was just so well behaved and calm. My niece helped me take care of Dylan (and every other shelter dog)... she was only about 9 when she started helping me and 10 when she met Dylan. She could climb all over him and could do absolutely anything to him and he never cared. When it came time to remove his stitches (we did it ourselves), the guy I worked with lifted him up onto the table. Dylan flopped over on his back, all four legs spread, and just layed there... we took out his stitches and clipped his toenails... he didn't move until we told him he could.
Dylan spendt about 4 months at the shelter and became our "mascot". He was adopted to a WONDERFUL home who sent me regular updates on him. I just got an email at the beginning of the year, Dylan had passed away due to cancer.

Dylan is a dog I will never forget and he is who I think of whenever I see a Rottie.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
people need to learn that is the individual dog, not the breed
it is so ignorant for people to generalize like that
to be honest I have never considered GSDs to "one of those types of dogs" I never knew they had aggresive tendencies!
and Rotties are just plain gorgeous dogs. Pits do strike a little fear in my heart, but that's really only because they look like tanks

Next time someone says something to you about being a bad mother for having these dogs than you should reply that at least you aren't teaching your children to be close-minded and ignorant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Next time someone says something to you about being a bad mother for having these dogs than you should reply that at least you aren't teaching your children to be close-minded and ignorant
AMEN.. I'll do that next time.. that's 4 sure!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean!!!

I get soooo tired of people acting afraid and all weirded out because I have a pit bull!!

I agree 110% that its not the dogs fault...

"Punish the deed~not the breed"

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you know what's funny, I use to groom dogs and almost all the time these "bully breeds" were always the sweetest of them! Infact not once did I have a problem with them it was always the little foo foo dogs!

gomer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a responsibility that those of us who own ostracized breeds must bare. Our dogs simply must be exemplary dogs, they're not allowed to get away with behaviours that other breeds flaunt. For example, my boston will growl and bark at people on walks (work in progress). People laugh about it, make jokes. Were my rotties to do the same, I'd probably have animal control at my door.

I don't get mad when people bad mouth my breed. If they want to wear their ignorance as a badge of honour, that's their right. I just take it as a challenge to prove them wrong. My dogs actions will defend them much clearer than my words ever could.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you mean. I have a rottweiler mix and she's the best dog I have ever had in my life. My cousin when we had company over including her she called Jenny a beast and said she's ugly.

she told me she only liked her when she was a puppy. Jenny may be big, but she would only smother you in kisses. I agree with Gomer. this is also going to happen if you have a breed everyone thinks is "vicious" even if it's a mixed breed. I always educate people about pit bulls and about how they are wonderful dogs, and how they really, really need to fall into the right hands.

I love rottweilers, pit bulls, staffies, and of course all dogs.
and I will always, always stand up for pit bulls and rottweilers, etc.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gomer

It's a responsibility that those of us who own ostracized breeds must bare. Our dogs simply must be exemplary dogs, they're not allowed to get away with behaviours that other breeds flaunt. For example, my boston will growl and bark at people on walks (work in progress). People laugh about it, make jokes. Were my rotties to do the same, I'd probably have animal control at my door.

I don't get mad when people bad mouth my breed. If they want to wear their ignorance as a badge of honour, that's their right. I just take it as a challenge to prove them wrong. My dogs actions will defend them much clearer than my words ever could.
The only problem about not getting mad at people who bad mouth my breed,, is their ignorance is being spread like thin butter over the world.. It's like people listen to these ignorant jerks, and take there words as THE knowledge, and it's not right..

It wrong' to blame a breed.. It's jus wrong

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

The only problem about not getting mad at people who bad mouth my breed,, is their ignorance is being spread like thin butter over the world.. It's like people listen to these ignorant jerks, and take there words as THE knowledge, and it's not right..

exactly! I know they wouldn't like it if we talked about their breed like they talk about ours. It is very wrong to blame any breed.
there's only BAD owners NOT bad dogs!

gomer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I agree, but being rude right back to people who are rude to you accomplishes nothing except making you angry. You can tell when you're speaking to someone if they're the type who are willing to listen to a different side of the story, or if they're someone who is always right, even in the face of evidence to the contrary. I choose not to waste my breath on people who tell me my dog will someday eat a child, and instead speak to those who are willing to give my dog a pat and ask about her.

If you get your dogs temperament tested or obedience titled, you can also counter the 'all rottweilers are vicious child eaters' with, 'well, I've had his temperament tested by the American Temperament Test Society and they stated that he is a fabulous dog who makes great decisions. He also has his Canine Good Neighbour certificate from the CKC (or AKC) and is working towards his CD in obedience'. Things like that tend to really shut people up.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I definitely agree with blame the deed, not the breed..

but I figure it's worth mentioning that "pit bull" is not a breed, it's a group of dog breeds. Saying "I have a pit bull" is the same as saying "I have a Retriever" or a "herding dog." 30 breeds or so can technically be classified as "pit bulls."

exactly! I know they wouldn't like it if we talked about their breed like they talk about ours. It is very wrong to blame any breed. there's only BAD owners NOT bad dogs!
Too true! Did you ever hear of the scare in Ontario several years ago where a woman posted a spoof article on the success of banning "pit bulls" and revealed that lawmakers were going to add Labrador Retrievers to their list? It was hilarious. IMO, blaming a breed is basically racism--you are disciminating against a set group of animals that are defined by similiar physical qualities. Sound familiar?

Angelkitty, I'm so sorry about your co-worker. Maybe you can show her pictures of him 'attacking' your children with kisses? Besides, I'm sure you're a GREAT mother--what kid doesn't want to have pets to love in their life, and more importantly to be raised with good values such as treating animals like the family members they are?

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gomer

I agree, but being rude right back to people who are rude to you accomplishes nothing except making you angry. You can tell when you're speaking to someone if they're the type who are willing to listen to a different side of the story, or if they're someone who is always right, even in the face of evidence to the contrary. I choose not to waste my breath on people who tell me my dog will someday eat a child, and instead speak to those who are willing to give my dog a pat and ask about her.

If you get your dogs temperament tested or obedience titled, you can also counter the 'all rottweilers are vicious child eaters' with, 'well, I've had his temperament tested by the American Temperament Test Society and they stated that he is a fabulous dog who makes great decisions. He also has his Canine Good Neighbour certificate from the CKC (or AKC) and is working towards his CD in obedience'. Things like that tend to really shut people up.
Your a much stronger person then I am... Really.. I just try to defend them, and try to dismay them when they are so ignorant,, but I start losing my cool after a while... It's unfair...

gomer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Your a much stronger person then I am... Really.. I just try to defend them, and try to dismay them when they are so ignorant,, but I start losing my cool after a while... It's unfair...
It is unfair, I totally agree with you. But I do see more and more families with rotts, pits, etc, so there is hope. My area is very anti-dog, and very few people will give my dogs the time of day when I have them out in public. I find that 90% of the time, those who do are the very young or the elderly. Children are a blank slate and I think the elderly are just wise enough to know better.

Now where are the pics of your new boy?!

P.S the 'bad mother' comment would have had me slapping them across the face. I'm not THAT tolerant of ignorant people.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

but I figure it's worth mentioning that "pit bull" is not a breed, it's a group of dog breeds. Saying "I have a pit bull" is the same as saying "I have a Retriever" or a "herding dog." 30 breeds or so can technically be classified as "pit bulls."

Too true! Did you ever hear of the scare in Ontario several years ago where a woman posted a spoof article on the success of banning "pit bulls" and revealed that lawmakers were going to add Labrador Retrievers to their list? It was hilarious. IMO, blaming a breed is basically racism--you are disciminating against a set group of animals that are defined by similiar physical qualities. Sound familiar?

Angelkitty, I'm so sorry about your co-worker. Maybe you can show her pictures of him 'attacking' your children with kisses? Besides, I'm sure you're a GREAT mother--what kid doesn't want to have pets to love in their life, and more importantly to be raised with good values such as treating animals like the family members they are?
Thank you,, I appreciate the nice words..

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

Sorry to disagree, but there is, in fact a breed, the American Pit bull Terrier.
It's the media that lumps all bully, mastiff breeds together and calls them pit bull, but the breed does exist.
In AKC they are referred to as American Staffordshire Terrier, in UKC they are still referred to as the American Pit Bull Terrier, they are, however, the same breed

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

Dogs are what the owners make them! when will people learn this!?!
One of my work friends has two rotties, the last one a rescue.
Our neighbor has two pitbulls.
All of these dogs are great examples of good owners, they have been trained beautifully and I have no fear with any of them.

We had an incident at a park with our dog and a rottie. The owner thought he had him trained well, but beating a dog down and being too tough on them can be the same as no training at all.

It is all about the owner.

I love all dogs, their owners on the other hand.......

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw. I'm sorry that happened to you. I've never really understood the attitude towards rotties - all the ones I've known have been super sweet.

I used to have a german shepherd (best dog I've ever owned) and I never had any problems with that - but after I heard people say things in general about them being "mean." I think they're a very obedient sweet animal. But like everyone is saying - it depends on the dog and the owner.

My boyfriends roommate has a pit. And she is the sweetest thing on the planet. Couldn't hurt a fly (literally - I've seen her try - she ended up with it up her nose
) I'll tell stories about cute things she does to people who don't know me well and then they ask what kind of dog she is and when I tell them - they go silent and the conversation ends. They can't understand how I get on the ground and wrestle with a pit. She's never hurt me in a mean way - EVER. And when she gets a little too rough I just go OUCH! and she gets this shocked look on her face and looks absolutely appalled that she could have hurt you! (well used to - she is too big for me now. She still wrestles with the boys but if I play with her rough she knocks me over just cuz she doesn't realize shes 80lbs of muscle). But I hate that people think its cute until they find out what kind of dog she is. So unfair.

I mean my bf and his roomie actually got robbed while she was in the house and she didn't touch the guy. Clearly not a mean dog. The only time I ever saw her show any aggression was the first time I came out of the shower with a towel on my head - she jumped on the couch and started growling/barking at my head until I petted her - I think she thought the towel was attacking me - I thought it was adorable.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with you I have an absolutely beautiful pit mix....and people are constantly saying "When you have children you will have to get rid of her she will hurt them" "What a vicious dog she must be" <--and to that Im thing the only vicious one in our household is me when you bad mouth my babies
It makes me so
at how dumb people can be over certain breeds...
Heres my Zoey....shes so precious! *this was just after a bath so she looks a lil wet*