Ways to stop snoring

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend snores soooo loud and it is really starting to drive me crazy. He looked some stuff up online and one website said to eat a couple spoonfuls of honey before bed. He tried that and it makes his snoring better but I don't think he is going to want to eat honey every night for the rest of his life though.

Does anyone know of any ways to make snoring stop or at least not be so loud? He is willing to try pretty much anything because it is driving me so crazy.

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh God I feel your pain.

My other half is like a foghorn when he snores, many a time he's nearly had a kitten stuffed up his nose!!

We tried loadsa stuff, those nose strips, extra pillows.

In the end, I went to Harris Teater and got a pack of like 20 earplugs for 2 dollars! Works a treat

(Don't leave them on your bedside table, because cats think earplugs are evil and want to kill them!)

megagene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Generally most people snore when they lie on their back. Some people will sew a tennis ball onto the back of their PJ top so that whenever they roll onto their back they'll feel the ball and quickly roll back onto their side or front. They don't even wake up; it just becomes uncomfortable to lie on their back so they don't and it helps with the snoring.
Also my friend who snores like a chainsaw bought this little clip that you put on your nose. It kind of looks like the nose clip that swimmers wear. I'm not entirely sure how it works but all I know is that it does. That little clip saved my sleep on many a road trip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Okuda

Oh God I feel your pain.

My other half is like a foghorn when he snores, many a time he's nearly had a kitten stuffed up his nose!!

We tried loadsa stuff, those nose strips, extra pillows.

In the end, I went to Harris Teater and got a pack of like 20 earplugs for 2 dollars! Works a treat

(Don't leave them on your bedside table, because cats think earplugs are evil and want to kill them!)
The only problem with that is I wont hear the alarm go off in the morning with earplugs in. I have thought about buying them for nights when I dont work the next morning.

Originally Posted by megagene

Generally most people snore when they lie on their back. Some people will sew a tennis ball onto the back of their PJ top so that whenever they roll onto their back they'll feel the ball and quickly roll back onto their side or front. They don't even wake up; it just becomes uncomfortable to lie on their back so they don't and it helps with the snoring.
Also my friend who snores like a chainsaw bought this little clip that you put on your nose. It kind of looks like the nose clip that swimmers wear. I'm not entirely sure how it works but all I know is that it does. That little clip saved my sleep on many a road trip.
He read about the tennis ball too, but he snores when he lays on his side too. He also doesn't sleep in pajamas, just boxers so that wouldn't work.

I wonder where you could get a clip like that...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex snores face down, I swear he's sucking dirt through the mattresses.
Honestly, it was so bad I stopped sleeping in the same room with him.

If the guy is snoring and not on his back, he may have a deviated septum, nothing but surgery will correct that AFAIK.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, I deal with this every single night.

My significant other snores soooo loud and obnoxiously.

I have really bad insomnia so I just stay up most nights because of the combination of the two. It takes a really deep sleep for me to drone it out.

When I'm starting to fall asleep and he's snoring I'll do anything to make him lay on his side because that helps...doesn't stop it completely, but helps.

He drinks a glass of water before bedtime and that tones it down as well.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he gained any weight? Lots of times even a small weight gain can cause snoring.

My husband snored like crazy and had sleep apnea while he was in graduate school. He gained about 15 pounds, too, from sitting at a desk all day long. He went for tests, and they wanted to put a machine in the bedroom and make him wear a mask on his face (for the apnea). He refused, but lost the extra pounds after graduating and he hasn't snored since.

(I never minded the snoring because it reminded me that he was home and not travelling
but sleep apnea is dangerous.)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps he should have a sleep study done to determine if he has "Obstructive Sleep Apnea". Maybe he needs a cpap machine for when he sleeps. Worth checking out.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John snores like crazy but for some reason it doesn't bother me in the least way. I actually think it's kinda cute. I can sleep through it with no problems. If I do happen to be awake, I'll shake him a little to stop him because sometimes the snoring gets extra loud and then he stops breathing for several seconds which scares me. He's asked the doc about it and was told that since the apnea doesn't happen all the time he doesn't need to be concerned but it really scares me!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot even describe the noise my SO makes when he is sleeping. It is so annoying it makes me want to pull my hair out, or his if he had any. I have slept with earplugs for years. They usually work, but somethimes the noise is so bad I have to sleep on the couch and are promptly joined by 3 cats. Fred used to steal them out of my ears, and teach the younger ones to do it for him. Walgreen's has the best ones. You can check the decibel level being drowned out. I get the highest number I can, which is usually about 33.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MY ex could set off car alarms, with his snoring. He had sleep apnea and was overweight but, wouldn't do anything about it.

A former S/O was just as bad but, his was due to the fact that he passed out drunk, every night.

Some snoring is caused by loose tissue, at the back of the soft palate. A simple in-office laser procedure tightens this up and reduces or eliminates snoring, from this cause.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Has he gained any weight? Lots of times even a small weight gain can cause snoring.

My husband snored like crazy and had sleep apnea while he was in graduate school. He gained about 15 pounds, too, from sitting at a desk all day long. He went for tests, and they wanted to put a machine in the bedroom and make him wear a mask on his face (for the apnea). He refused, but lost the extra pounds after graduating and he hasn't snored since.

(I never minded the snoring because it reminded me that he was home and not travelling
but sleep apnea is dangerous.)
Yeah he has gained weight. He has always snored though, just lately it has been worse than usual.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

John snores like crazy but for some reason it doesn't bother me in the least way. I actually think it's kinda cute. I can sleep through it with no problems. If I do happen to be awake, I'll shake him a little to stop him because sometimes the snoring gets extra loud and then he stops breathing for several seconds which scares me. He's asked the doc about it and was told that since the apnea doesn't happen all the time he doesn't need to be concerned but it really scares me!
my DH is the same and his dad , they will stop breathing for serval seconds then all of a suddon he will let out this huge snore that even wakes him up lol, but it was so scary the first few times i heard it i thought i was going to lose him
. all i do now is he goes to bed before i do and just as i get into bed he starts snoring, so i push him back to his side (its not as bad then) it will contuine with him rolling on to his back then me pushing him back to his side untill i finally fall asleep. his also a messy sleeper so i often get a knock from his elbow or leg at some point in the night
but i still love him lol.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learnt last week in the beauty c0urse that, if y0u are slightly 0ver weight it can cause it.

When y0u sleep y0ur thr0at relaxes and extra weight will press d0wn the skin, hence the sn0ring n0ise because the air is trying t0 g0 in and 0ut between the lungs and m0uth/n0se, and the thr0at is causing it t0 st0p because 0f the extra fat..

d0esnt it s0und delici0us?