Would you call this stealing? Or would this be an acception?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to this nasty guys apartment, who started with over 40 cats and I slowly vetted some and rehomed them, others went to a sanctuary. Anyways, I went there 2 weeks ago to pick up a gorgeous sweet but skin and bones and covered in fleas and earmites calico cat and her babies. I let the babies get adopted a little younger then I normally would because of the condition of the mother. She was exhausted as she has been constantly pregnant or nursing for about the past 9 months.

Anyways, as I was leaving the lady who lives there was like "hey wait I have something else for you to take" (I was thinking oh brother, what now?) But she calls upstairs (the stairs to the upstairs apartment are on the outside of the building) and this little puppy about 10 weeks old comes slowly down the stairs. She picks her up and hands her to me and tells me I have to take her. She said the people upstairs throw her outside alone all day when they are at work or whatever and they don't feed her. She was pretty thin, covered in fleas and the fact that she was loose outside all alone and no one was home upstairs, I took her.

Well I posted on a dog forum that I post on seeing if anyone was interested and I told this story and the couple responses I got accused me of stealing and doing something illegal. Nothing about the fact that she was being very much neglected, running loose, thin and not fed... I don't know. I am NOT giving her back regardless of what anyone else thinks. But I just wondered what you guys think... because I trust what you guys all say... I know the humane society wouldn't do a thing about it, they rarely do anything. So I didn't bother calling them.

What are your thoughts??

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMO you did nothing wrong, Stealing is better of a crime then letting an anmal suffer or getting one and not taking care of him/her. That poor pup will NEVER EVER forget what you did for him!!! GOOD JOB

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hehe well thank you

I was just suprised that they were so against what I did. I mean, technically she was GIVEN to me, handed to me, you know? I was just suprised when they said I shouldn't be posting that and her picture on a public forum... these people barely have electricity, let alone a computer with internet connection.

Here is her picture by the way, she is a sweetheart so if anyone on here is looking to adopt, you know who to contact!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking that poor puppy!

I'm not above animal knapping to save a life! In fact I've done it when I've seen dogs or cats constantly neglected or tied up outside without shelter from the heat or cold.

That lady was concerned enough about the situation to let you know about it, so don't feel bad. The puppy was obviously in need of intervention.

Unfortunately the people who had that puppy will either not notice and if they do they probably won't care and unfortunately they will just go and get themselves another dog or cat

EDIT: Oh my gosh! Look at that sweet doggie face!!!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree you did the right thing from an animal love point of view, but if the owner didn't hand him over, actually it was stealing. I don't know if he wanted to press charges if he could get you or the lady that actually handed him over (you didn't know, at the time, the puppy belonged to someone else, right?). I doubt very much that the owner will care since he obviously didn't care for the poor baby to begin with, but people can be strange sometimes.

I really don't know who would be officially responisible here...I would think the lady that took her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really not looking to blame someone. They can come after me or call the police and I will just tell them that she was running loose with no ID, plus skinny and covered in fleas. Didn't look like anyone ownered her to me. The lady DID technically tell me that she belongs to the people upstairs. So techinally I DID steal her. The lady who actually handed her over is an outpatient for some drug rehab program and she is heavily on drugs when I went there. She either won't have any memory of it or she would lie and claim to know nothing about it to avoid having to deal with the police. I mean, these are like meth lab, drunken, jobless 40-somethings I am talking about... I am more worried about making sure I have my can of mace in my pocket then who is going to see me leave with a puppy.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww poor little puppy!! You didn't steal the puppy, the puppy was wandering out on its own and needed help - you rescued the poor little thing. Good on you!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You totally did the right thing. If those people couldn't take care of that sweet puppy they didn't deserve her in the first place.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, she was handed to you, who could say no?

I should be in jail right now if that is considered "stealing"!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I should be in jail right now if that is considered "stealing"!
Yep, been there. It isn't stealing, it is rescuing. Even if it is legally stealing, no one with a brain would give this precious little one back to those people.

Good work!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen
My, she's adorable looking! German Shepard mix perhaps? Or maybe not, her paws are a bit on the small side.
I personally think you did the right thing. If they ever think of taking you to court because of this (which is absolutely ridiculous to even think of but people are crazy sometimes), I think the judge and everyone in there would agree with you.
There needs to be more gutsy people like you.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you leave a sweet looking puppy outside of your residence, without ID, and not tethered to anything, IMHO someone is going to walk off with it...and that person would be rescuing it, not stealing.

Good luck finding her a good home.