The BEST dry food out here?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The BEST is depending on many factors...

AGE of cat

Activity level

Any chronic conditions

Dietary needs

Is other food given

Cats taste, shape and size preference

How it reacts in the indivudal cats system

I like orijens ingrediants as did my vet but at the current time to keep the smell down I am mixing it with natural choice /// so for my Zoey there are TWO best foods ....

orijen or core
and
natural choice

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think a lot depends on the cat. One food may be great for your neighbor's cat but not be so good for yours and vice versa. I use the innova evo and my kitten so far (knock on wood) has been doing great. No problems as some evo feeders have mentioned (litter box smell). He's only been on it for a couple days but I was feeding him purina kitten chow when he was a stray from outside and he went cold turkey from purina to evo with no problems whatsoever.

So I really think it depends on the cat and how they react. I really like the natura line of pet products my dogs get the regular Innova. Eagle Pack, IMO, is a good food too. Felidae/Canidae is good but I have had problems in the past with that and my dogs so tend to steer clear of it. Not to mention my dogs find that it's not too palatible and some dogs just get sick of it after awhile.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just bought my second bag of Orijen and our litter box has virtually no odor since switching to this. I also find they don't poo as much so I guess they are getting much more nutrition from the food. For wet (twice a day) I feed Merrick's (also no grain) so it's working very, very well for us. Bijou even seems to be losing some weight which is very good because he's a big boy.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Orijen has fish though, so wouldn't be good if you have a cat that has an allergy, or just want to avoid fish for urinary health.

Riley does great with his California Natural chicken and rice, so I plan to stick with that, even though I have to order it online.

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I just bought my second bag of Orijen and our litter box has virtually no odor since switching to this. I also find they don't poo as much so I guess they are getting much more nutrition from the food. For wet (twice a day) I feed Merrick's (also no grain) so it's working very, very well for us. Bijou even seems to be losing some weight which is very good because he's a big boy.
I'm waiting for the orijen to come into my area. The company said not until 2008. There's 1 store that sells it but it's a half an hour drive 1 way. I would love to try some though but don't want to order it online I'd rather but it in person.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lonelykitten

I'm waiting for the orijen to come into my area. The company said not until 2008. There's 1 store that sells it but it's a half an hour drive 1 way. I would love to try some though but don't want to order it online I'd rather but it in person.
They have a trial size available (probably about 3 meals' worth) that I tried before I bought my first big bag. I've asked my local supplier to check if they also have wet food.

I kind of get a chuckle when some of you folks say the "store that sells it ...a half an hour drive 1 way". Where we live that's considered next door.
My drive to work each day is 1 hour each way and to get groceries, the nearest large supermarket is 1/2 hour from our house.

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I kind of get a chuckle when some of you folks say the "store that sells it ...a half an hour drive 1 way". Where we live that's considered next door.
My drive to work each day is 1 hour each way and to get groceries, the nearest large supermarket is 1/2 hour from our house.
Yeah I guess that does sound sort of funny, but half an hour is a long way in a car with my two kids. A half an hour car ride with my two is like an eternity. The place I get my evo I'm going to ask if they can special order it for me because I would love to atleast try it.

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lonelykitten

Yeah I guess that does sound sort of funny, but half an hour is a long way in a car with my two kids. A half an hour car ride with my two is like an eternity. The place I get my evo I'm going to ask if they can special order it for me because I would love to atleast try it.
Dont be afraid to ask!

For example my store that stocks Evo, Merrick, Orijen etc did not carry Evangers wet that my cat loves.

Now Evangers sells direct from their site, so when the clerk at the store said "we are a listed seller, but we dont stock it, we can order you a case from our distributor" I said with a laugh "Well I could just order it from them" thinking it was probably cheaper and obviously more convenient.

Well I was shocked to find out that they were able to get me a case for 26$ were it was 33$ shipped from the Evangers warehouse

But really, 1/2 hour is not bad. I dont have kids but if I did I would save up for that incar DVD player

I dont know about you guys but I generally always buy food in 3 month supply for my 2 cats.