Harness Walking

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So after much practice in the apartment and on the balcony today was Winston and Murphy's first escapade out in the real world on Harness and leads.

Much chasing of ants was done (Because ants are dangerous and evil!!) Much pouncing of the pine straw around the plants and much cheek rubbing on the plants .. Murphy even tried to chew on one and was quickly pulled away.

Winston was none to impressed with the grass and was walking on tippy toes like it was hot coals
Murphy on the other hand decided a roll was in order.

All was going well until another resident turned on the hose to wash her car and Winston went nuts. Murphy just laid there chilled out.
Of them both I would have thought Murphy would have been the scardy cat (no pun intended!) as he is so needy and talkative in the apartment.

It wasn't too hot outside today and I kept them in the shaded areas, even tho Murphy loves to lay in sunlight patches on the sofa, but when he started panting I brought them back in.

I think I will take them out each day now. I have to time it in the day time tho as all the other residents come home and walk their dogs at about 5 to 6 pm!

The end result of 30 minutes outside? 2 hours of blissful silence for Mum

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great!!!! Stumpy and Smudge love their adventures outside - I found the best way to keep them going in teh same direction was to let go of Stumpy's leash. That way Smudge chases after the leash and pounces on it, so she follows Stumpy, and Stumpy can't run off because Smudge is holding onto her leash

Good luck for many future fun walks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrjonah

Cool! Their worlds just got a whole lot bigger
They are very cute, by the way.
hehe thank you!

Although, that wasn't what they were being called at 6am this morning when they decided they wanted to play "racetrack" and use the bed as part of their course!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
o_O? I wonder if I should start that with my kittens?
People would think that I have dogs and we live in a no dogs apartment complex!
That would be funny!
But what about outdoor fleas and ticks? I don't even have to use any products on mine because we don't have any in the first place but I would be concerned about the outside ones.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll have to take them outside every day now!
They look adorable, BTW.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

o_O? I wonder if I should start that with my kittens?
People would think that I have dogs and we live in a no dogs apartment complex!
That would be funny!
But what about outdoor fleas and ticks? I don't even have to use any products on mine because we don't have any in the first place but I would be concerned about the outside ones.
The funniest part about harness training is the first time you put it on them.
They buckaroo around the room. I was reading about how to harness train and it said even tho the kittens would do this, the trick is to leave it on so they know that kind of behavior would not get it removed and also that it wasn't going to hurt them.

Sure enough 15 minutes later I had to pooped out kittens but they didn't mind the harness anymore lol.

Regarding fleas and ticks I guess it's just a chance you gotta take if you wanna give them a taste for outdoors. I check all the normal places for ticks to hide when I bring them back in. Fleas ~ none as of yet.