Any reason to worry

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guys, could use some vibes if you can spare them, or even some reassurance about a couple of kittens

A friend of mine has been feeding a tame mama cat that she believes is an abandoned pet and her two kittens for the past several weeks. She's been out of town for a week and I took over the feeding while also caring for her two indoor cats. The kittens are about 10-12 weeks old by my best guess. My friend has plans to take the mama cat to a low cost spay/neuter clinic on Sat. to be spayed, vaccinated and test and would like to keep her and integrate her into the household.

The kittens run from humans although both of us have been working to gain their trust and can get within a few feet of them before they bolt. I'm going to try to help my friend trap them on Sunday, then we'll get them fixed, etc... The plan is to socialize them and find them homes.

Anyway, everyday when I've been over to feed them for the past week in the early morning at late afternoon, the kittens and mama cat have been waiting on my friend's back porch. They run when I put the food out, then return once I'm back inside. This is the same routine my friend has been following. I saw both the kittens last night and they were fine. However, this morning there was no sign of them, although the mother cat did appear to eat. My friend said the kittens were still gone when got back into town this afternoon.

Honestly, both of us are worried about the kittens. Is it possible something just spooked them and they're in hiding? She lives on a pretty quiet street and, although the houses are pretty close together, her back yard is pretty secluded with a privacy fence and lots of shrubbery. It's pretty safe under the circumstances. My friend says the kittens have disappeared before for short periods of time, but not for this long.

I just can't stand the thought that something might have happened to these little ones, especially when we were making plans to help them.

Please send some vibes/prayers that they're safe. Thanks guys!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will send strong vibes that the kittens find their way back to your friends house!

In all the years that I managed the feral colony when I still had kittens, the one thing that I noticed is that they kittens stuck very close to their mom until they were old enough for mom to reject them. This doesn't bode well with me.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Eileen sending many many prayers and vibes ...........

It could also be that someone already took the kittens in because most everyone will help a baby ........ even if they were scared. Or because it wasnt who they were use to, they were hanging back while Mom went to eat and they need to adjust to the original feeder again.

Many vibes headed their way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the vibes and prayers. I'm really hoping that since mama cat was starting to push the kittens away that they're just off exploring or something. With them being wary of humans, it would have been hard for someone to catch them.

Please keep the vibes/prayers coming. My friend is going to be devastated if anything happened to these babies.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guy, great news - the kittens returned!!!
Diane said they showed this afternoon, so apparently they were just off on some kind of big adventure. Those darn little creatures sure gave us a good scare.

Now, we just have to keep them safe until Sunday, when we'll set the traps. If all goes as planned (which it may not) we'll get them to the spay/neuter clinic first thing Monday morning to be fixed, vaccinated and tested. Then, the fun begins. This is Diane's first foray into trapping and socializing kittens, so she's kind of nervous, but I'm going to support her in every way I can. I'm still pretty new at it myself, but know enough thanks to TCS and my volunteer experience to point her in the right direction.

Mama cat will be spayed too and hopefully become part of Diane's family. She's a young calico, very sweet, and the kittens are orange and white.

Thanks for the vibes and prayers guys. You're the best!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Fantastic, Eileen ............ heres some more trapping vibes

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, guys. We could use some more vibes/prayers for this mom and kittens if can spare them.

The whole family showed up yesterday afternoon at feed time, but mama cat (now named Molly) seemed lethargic and was panting. Since she's tame, Diane scooped her up and took it the emergency vet. She has some type of infection and is now resting in a kennel inside, on antibiotics for the next week. She has also tested positive for feline leukemia, but Diane plans to ensure she is cared for and will have her spayed as soon as she's well.

We set traps for the kittens this morning, but no luck. They're pretty independent from mama at this point, so we're hoping they'll show up for feeding time this afternoon/evening, so we'll reset the traps then.

Please send vibes that we can get ahold of these two elusive little creatures and that they stay safe in the meantime. Thanks!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the kitties seem to know if they come to you, you'll help them.

I always has plenty of and Prayers to spare.
Sending tons for Momma and babies.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, mama cat, now named Molly, is doing fine inside and has an appointment to be spayed later this week. Unfortunately, there's been no sign of the kittens. Diane is still putting out food to draw them back, then pulling it and setting the traps.

Please send vibes/prayers that the kittens are safe and return soon. Thanks.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many many prayers and vibes for Molly and for her baby's to be caught

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, guys.

I received some great news about the mama cat, Molly, yesterday afternoon. A local rescue that specializes in the care of FeLV and FIV positive cats has the space to take her. So, she'll be spayed tomorrow as planned and head for the rescue early next week.

Please keep the vibes/prayers coming for the kittens. I just hope they're safe. Obviously, we'd like to trap them sooner rather than later to get them socialized. Another concern for the kittens is that they'll test positive like their mother. Both of the kittens are mostly white with orange markings and one also has a little gray mixed in.

Please pray that we can get ahold of them soon. Thanks!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come on babies!! Go in the trap and find a whole new world! Prayers and huge vibes that the little ones can be caught and that Molly enjoys her new found way of life and has an easy spay.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys.

Some great news to report. Mama cat, Molly, came through her spay surgery just fine yesterday, and will be going to the rescue next week.

We've also had a kitten sighting.
Diane saw one of the kittens snoozing on her back porch yesterday. No sign of the second, but we're hoping he/she is still around somewhere.

She also caught site of a big orange/white cat whom the kittens bear a strong resemblance to. Could the be the father. So, we'll try trapping him too and get him fixed and released. A neighbor has been feeding him too.

Diane's planning to set the traps tomorrow night, so please send some vibes our way. We especially want to get ahold of the babies at this point, so we can start the socialization process, along with get them fixed, vaccinated and tested.

Many thanks!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear the Molly did well and that at least one of the little ones has been spotted.
Sending vibes and Prayers that both babies and Daddy are trapped real soon.