TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Over the Top Political Correctness
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Over the Top Political Correctness - Page 2

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
Yes, medic alert. I was forgetting that. My friend wore one too.
Something else I always carry with me, as does my Son is an Epi Pen.
post #32 of 43
The 15 year old girl died from an asthma attack. She had smoked pot before her attack and this didn't help...
http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/News.htm

However, on the topic of peanut allergy...

Compared to a latex allergy or an intolerance to lactose, there is NO comparison..

If the girl above HAD kissed her boyfriend immediately after he ate peanut butter (instead of the 9 hours quoted in the erroneous initial articles), YES, she would have had a possible fatal reaction.

There is a HUGE difference between being a bit put out because you can't have balloons at a party or drink some milk and a child dying because the child next to him or her smeared peanut butter on their desk.
post #33 of 43
The school my mum teaches at asks that peanuts are not included in lunches children bring, but does not force the issue, instead children with known allergies sit at a separate table (the children are told where to sit anyway so it isn't forcing them to sit away from their friends) so that if someone does have something they are allergic to, they are not near it. There are so many foods that may contain nuts that they simply cannot control it to the extent of people who are so allergic the oils from someones fingers would cause the reaction.

My sister is allergic to eggs, from a young age, she knew what she could and could not have for lunch at school and did not need a packed lunch, if she wasn't sure about a food, she would ask if it was made with eggs. My parents never would have dreamed of saying that cake for dessert could not be served just because my sister is deathly allergic to it and I don't agree with that being forced on people.

With the number of things children are allergic to these days, you would end up banning so many things that the children would have to live on water alone at school
post #34 of 43
In truth, I would imagine that there is nothing on this earth that SOMEONE isn't allergic to. You can't ban EVERYTHING. I think it's up to the parents to educate their children the importance of staying away from foods or other items they are allergic to.

When I was a child, I knew a little girl who was deathly allergic to dust and dirt (like soil). Her parents couldn't ban the earth, so they had to keep her away from parks, and yards, and places where she could come in contact with soil.
post #35 of 43
I find that the companies/schools/hospitals imposing bans on things are so lame when they claim they're doing it to protect the children or the public.

That's a load of BS, they are doing it to protect themselves from getting sued. Because people will sue for anything these days. Which is another practice I find disgusting.
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
That's a load of BS, they are doing it to protect themselves from getting sued. Because people will sue for anything these days. Which is another practice I find disgusting.
Ain't that the truth!!
post #37 of 43
I chat on a parenting forum & 6 months ago would have said pretty much the same as others have in this thread. However, from my understanding, peanut allergies are much worse than other allergies (such as fruit for example). Even traces of peanuts can cause anaphylaxis.

Now I have a 4 year old who goes to daycare. Thankfully, she has no allergies. However, if she did, I have no doubt I could teach her what foods she can & can't have. However, I have no control over the other 20+ children. Supposing one such child eats a peanut butter & then plays with a toy. There is a possibility they will leave trace amounts of peanut butter on there.

I truly pity children & parents in this situation. Every day, you have to worry about your child being in danger. Other food allergies cause hives & discomfort, but peanut allergies can be fatal.

I certainly don't think every potential food should be banned from schools, but potentially fatal ones such as peanuts, yes. Surely children can go without a peanut butter sandwich for a few hours.

I do think banning latex balloons is going over the top.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post

I truly pity children & parents in this situation. Every day, you have to worry about your child being in danger. Other food allergies cause hives & discomfort, but peanut allergies can be fatal.
I may have misunderstood what you're saying here and if I did I apoligize, but other food allergies do MUCH more than cause hives & discomfort they can also be fatal.
I know this first hand, because I came very close to losing my life because of my poultry allergy.

Two years ago on the fourth of July my Sister made baked beans.
She'd used canned beans and added brown sugar and other spices to them.
She told me that she HAD read the label on the beans and that they were safe for me....some contain chicken fat... so I ate the beans.
Thank God my Son doesn't like baked beans.

I won't go into the gory details, I'll just say that thank God for my Epi Pen and that she lives less than a half mile from the Hospital or I wouldn't be here typing right now.

The beans DID have chicken fat in them....I learned my lesson that day.
Unless I can read the label and no what's in it I no longer take anyone's word for it.
My Sister didn't set out to kill me that day, but she very nearly did.
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
I chat on a parenting forum & 6 months ago would have said pretty much the same as others have in this thread. However, from my understanding, peanut allergies are much worse than other allergies (such as fruit for example). Even traces of peanuts can cause anaphylaxis.

... However, I have no control over the other 20+ children. Supposing one such child eats a peanut butter & then plays with a toy. There is a possibility they will leave trace amounts of peanut butter on there.
...
I certainly don't think every potential food should be banned from schools, but potentially fatal ones such as peanuts, yes. Surely children can go without a peanut butter sandwich for a few hours.
The problems schools have, is that it is not just a peanut butter sandwich they have to check for, it is every granola bar, chocolate bars, it is amazing how many foods may contain traces of peanut (that are enough to set off anaphylactic reactions.
post #40 of 43
Sorry Graciecat, I didn't mean to take away from other food allergies. I don't know a great deal, just what I recently read. Many of the parents said that other food allergies didn't tend to be as dangerous as peanuts. But what happened to you sounds downright scary.

It's a very tricky situation for daycare centres to be in. I understand that many products also contain peanuts. I think what many say (here in Australia at least) is avoid products with peanuts in. I know sometimes food items will fall through the cracks. I do not agree that Jimmy shouldn't have to miss out on his peanut butter sandwich because another child has a peanut allergy. It is only a few hours a day & it could well save a child's life.

I would be more than happy for my children to 'miss out' on a particular food if there was a child with allergies at their daycare.
post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
Bingo!

Not to mention that if a kid is allergic to whatever, that kid needs to learn his own limitations. At some point, he's going to have to look out for himself, and the sooner the better.

Yeah, considering latex is found inside so many things from pencil erasers to the elastic in your underwear!
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
I can't speak from experience (no kids) but shouldn't a first-grader be able to learn he/she has to stay away from peanuts, and what stuff might have peanuts in it?
Nope.

Where I live it's now policy that you cannot send certain things with your child to daycare or school, peanuts/peanut butter is one of them. There are others.
post #43 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
Sorry Graciecat, I didn't mean to take away from other food allergies. I don't know a great deal, just what I recently read. Many of the parents said that other food allergies didn't tend to be as dangerous as peanuts. But what happened to you sounds downright scary.
Oh no, no need to be sorry.
Unless you live with it everyday you really wouldn't know just how dangerous ANY allergy can be.

Maybe those parents think peanuts are the worst because that's what they or their child is allergic to

Believe me, it was scary.
But my Sister has been really nice to me for the past two years...of course I take every chance I get to remind her that she tried to kill me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Over the Top Political Correctness