College and job training offer!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, first off, I just started my online college training for my AA degree as a Veterinarian Technician and the Last Chance Society called as a checkup on the kittens we adopted. I started talking to the woman on the line and mentioned about my schooling. She then said that I could easily get a part time job as a vet tech with them to go along with my schooling and do my on the job training that the college requires there! I think I just hit a gold mine!

Plus, if I talk with my hubby a bit, I think we can foster some really young kittens they have. They got a lot that need to be bottle fed and since I'm home 24/7 practically, I think I can do that. It's more training, lol. I'm so psyched up about this but we may run into a bit of a problem...
The military finance office STILL hasn't set up the allotment for our apartment and now it's going on the 2nd month we're having to pay out of our pockets. My husband's not even making enough to cover it so we have to take out another military emergency loan. My question is where's the money going in the first place? It's certainly not coming to us.
So, we're a bit tight on money and I doubt that the shelter would pay for the kitten's formulas.
As for my class, it's going on smoothly. Did you know that vet medicine predates recorded history? The first recording of it was in 2500 B.C.! And the first vet college was in Lyon, France in the 1700s! Just a bit of random info.

Has anyone else fostered pets before?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news!!!!

Before you getoverly excited about fostering, from my understanding military anything is S L O W. Heck Government anything is slow. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but one example (of many) is this:

Fiance had back surgery through a local hospital in 2002 or 2003 (can't remember it was before we started dating). He's a member of the VA, so he went to them to pay off his $40,000 hospital bill. I think it wasn't until 2005 that he finally got the $40K debt taken away from his credit. At least that's what he hopes since he stopped receiving calls from the billing office at the local hospital.

I doubt that you'll have to wait that long for payments, but it may be another month or two before you see money come back.

Congrats on the new everything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Fiance had back surgery through a local hospital in 2002 or 2003 (can't remember it was before we started dating). He's a member of the VA, so he went to them to pay off his $40,000 hospital bill. I think it wasn't until 2005 that he finally got the $40K debt taken away from his credit. At least that's what he hopes since he stopped receiving calls from the billing office at the local hospital.
YIKES! I hope that doesn't happen to us! The military has already 'forgotten' about the extra money they owed when he went up a rank. They didn't change his pay to match the rank for 6 months, so the extra couple hundred a month disappeared. He's given up on that now because it was almost a year ago that it happened. We could really use that lump sum right now though... -grumble-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So much for the military loan. We can't because we had already taken one out on the last allotment they missed. My hubby's thinking he may have to file for an advanced pay. That'll get us through this month's rent but if the financial office doesn't get moving, I don't know what we'll do the next time. So much for the college if that happens. But, on a good note. I can try to apply for a secretary job at the base's hospital. No experience required and that way he doesn't have to drive out of his way to wherever I work.