How do you cheer up?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I've stated many, many times Jordan is sick & the vet thinks it's cancer. (I'm sure everyone is getting tired of hearing about it) I've noticed lately that I'm depressed. Last night I went to bed at 8:30 & still had a hard time getting up at 6 AM this morning. I know I'm going to be sad about this, but I don't know how long I can be sad for before I lose it completely. While he is stable right now, I'm afraid of what's around the corner. So basicly I'm looking for ideas about how to perk my mood up a little. I really want to be able to enjoy the time that he & I have left, but I am having a hard time doing that. Any good ideas?

kitties4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

As I've stated many, many times Jordan is sick & the vet thinks it's cancer. (I'm sure everyone is getting tired of hearing about it) I've noticed lately that I'm depressed. Last night I went to bed at 8:30 & still had a hard time getting up at 6 AM this morning. I know I'm going to be sad about this, but I don't know how long I can be sad for before I lose it completely. While he is stable right now, I'm afraid of what's around the corner. So basicly I'm looking for ideas about how to perk my mood up a little. I really want to be able to enjoy the time that he & I have left, but I am having a hard time doing that. Any good ideas?
Exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol!

I know that's probably the last thing you want to hear right now but it really does do wonders!!!!!!!!!!! You need oxygen getting to your brain and then your brain chemistry perks up with the right combination.

Even if you just get out for a quick walk. I know you want to be there for your baby, but you'll be BETTER for your kitty if you are good to yourself first. You'll have more energy for her!

Also, I love self help books. LOL!!! There are so many out there which can help you when you're at a low point.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Rang}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy a big fat mocha with whipped cream. Nothing like a cup full of caffeine, chocolate, and creamy fat to top it all off. mmm...

Also an instant cheer-up is hugging one of my cats or the dog. Hearing my kids laugh or make funny noises. Hearing my hubby laugh or even projectile belch while in another room totally cheers me up.

I am not in the same boat as you, with a kit who may have cancer (I do feel for ya though, it has to be rough), but I DO have 4 'elders'. One who is 17 yrs old, just about blind, deaf, and has arthritis in his legs. I know they cannot live forever and it will be tough to let them go. So I just enjoy the 'day to day' and count my blessings when I wake up and see the little guys (and gals) breathing, sleeping peacefully. And those rare lovely cheery moments when my older cats play so gleefully, they act like kittens on speed! That is cheer.

megagene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case I need to take a handful of pills every day in order to stay sane.

Exercise really does help though.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kitties4ever

Exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol!

I know that's probably the last thing you want to hear right now but it really does do wonders!!!!!!!!!!! You need oxygen getting to your brain and then your brain chemistry perks up with the right combination.

Even if you just get out for a quick walk. I know you want to be there for your baby, but you'll be BETTER for your kitty if you are good to yourself first. You'll have more energy for her!
What about getting exercise while you are with him? For example, taking Jordan out for small walks in a kitty stroller? Fresh air might do you some good. Or possibly taking him out with a harness, if he has ever done that before. Harness training him now might not be the best idea.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I count my blessings. As dark as things may be, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, things don't stay bad forever. and I think of all the things I do have that other folks may not. I view life as a constant struggle, I must keep trudging along in order to not let it get me down, kinda like Dory in Finding Nemo, "just keep swimming!"

Self indulgence helps too, mine is fried and cheesy food

and if all else fails, see your doctor. There is nothing wrong with seeking some medical intervention, I went on anti-depressants a few years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did

karl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A 40 oz. bottle of malt liquor and a Ramones album. Works for me every time.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take it day-to-day. Raven has cancer also. And last week he had his first full blown very bad day.
It was awful.

I had some good cries. My DH has been very supportive, which helps. Then I also went out and spent a bunch of money on toys. Buying toys for them to play with makes me happy--because it's usually such a joy to watch them enjoying themselves.

I took a girlie night last friday when my DH went out with a friend. Bought myself a bottle of Italian soda from target, served it over ice in a fancy glass, took a nice long bubble bath and watched a movie with a happy ending. It really helped.

I really have been taking each day as it comes since Raven was diagnosed in the end of May.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We hope Jordan is going to be okay...

Heres a website that may or may not help:
http://netinc.net.my/health/h/005.htm

When we are feeling low, we go outside and just look at the beauty around us. Takes us away from any bad situation. We breath in the crisp air, watch the leaves dance in the breeze, watch how the clouds just slowly flow above us...all that good stuff. Sounds corny but thats how we get in a different mindset.

Whatever may happen to Jordan, just hang in there! Thats pretty much all you can do. You gave him happiness, love, and a home. You are doing great! Just enjoy every minute with Jordan. Best Wishes for you & Jordan...Update all of us when you know something about Jordan, we hope hes going to be alright...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Depending on the temp when I get home I may try to take a short walk.

Jordan does not have a cancer diagnosis as of right now, but two differnt vets have pointed out that he may have cancer even though they couldn't find anything on the ultra sound. He's on Pred (down to 5 mg every other day) to treat his hypercalcimia. He ate what was essentialy 2 meals this morning & I was not going to stop him from eating when he kept going. This has been such a roller coaster that I don't want to get my hopes up because everytime I do he starts skipping breakfast.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lost Sheba I was really devastated. I think it would be best if you could share your feelings (like you are doing here) rather than keep them bottled up. It was har with me as the newspapers kept on publishing articles and then people I was acquainted with would keep being her loss up. It was several months before I could start to have closure.
I took solace (probably too much) in wine, solitary walks, reading and baths. Funny movies should help a bit. Perhaps you would like to take some photos are start a scrapbook/album (take pawprints too).
All you can do is take it one day at a time.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad about being sad and depressed that your kitty is sick. Those are perfectly normal and valid feelings and you need to go with them. It's part of grieving.

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
katiemae1277;1929056 said:
I count my blessings. As dark as things may be, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, things don't stay bad forever. and I think of all the things I do have that other folks may not. /quote]

I try to do the same thing, sometimes it is hard though. I think of all the things I still have, also what I am still able to do.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Live in the present.

The past is gone and the future doesn't exist. Anything can happen at any time so the only way to live is to fully appreciate what you have right here, right now.

Stop right now and take it all in. Do this often.

Good luck, and I don't think anybody is tired of hearing what you say.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

The past is gone and the future doesn't exist. Anything can happen at any time so the only way to live is to fully appreciate what you have right here, right now.
That is a wonderful quote. That may just make ME feel better....

Besides a spoon and a gallon of Ben and Jerry's. That's what makes me feel better.

Also this may just be me but sometimes, if I'm really down, I just cry. I found that it's good therapy to me. I try not to hold my feelings in anyways. A good cry can sometimes help