Pregnant feral not eating after being caught

rkattufts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I am totally new to this site, so bear with me.

I own 3 cats whom have never been outdoors. I just moved to Boston and discovered the massive feral cat problem in my neighborhood. Last week we noticed a beat-up ginger tabby hanging around the trash. We decided to see about feeding him and he turned out to be a stray. We can pet him, even pick him up a bit. He is an unaltered male.

As such, on Friday he started showing up with a young lady. Who was DEFINATELY pregnant. Very shy too. We knew we could get him at any time (in fact we found a home already and will be taking him to the vet soon).

She was another story. We needed her off the streets before she gave birth. We managed to catch her in a dog crate while feeding. Since my 3 cats are indoor cats, we segregated her from them. Just to be safe, and to reduce her stress (plus we have 2 dogs...) She bolted out of the crate while we changed her food and is now loose in our basement. She likes hanging out in the corners between the top of the wall and the ceiling. She is pretty scared.

The problem is she hasn't been eating much at all. Maybe a few ounces at most. This has been since Saturday. She ate on Saturday when we were trapping her, but otherwise very little.

The MSPCA was closed until today, and is WHOLLY unreachable. I've been on hold for a good hour now and the phone battery is dying. We want to make sure this cat and her kittens are o.k. AND that we don't overburden the system. Dropping off a pregnant cat with no idea if she would be put-down isn't kosher with me.

So, what should I do here? Should I be worried too much? I know that cats are somewhat durable when it comes to deprivation, but how much of that is true when pregnant is unknown to me.

Do we need to intervene here? Should we just drop her off and hope for the best, or take her to vet ourselves (which won't be fun since it would be an ER visit due to the vet being booked until the 21st)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. You've got quite a dilemma there. Dropping off a feral cat at a "shelter" is NOT a good idea because it is almost guaranteed she will immediately be killed. Ferals are unadoptable and this is what all AC&C's and most "shelters" have as policy regarding feral cats. Is there another private vet or clinic where you can take her? This would be the best option.

As for eating, yes, she needs all the nutrition she can get right now, but she is obviously traumatized, because she has been confined, and so she is stressed and not eating.

I would suggest you visit http://www.alleycat.org for information and tips from the experts in feral cats. Then you can contact them via email or phone and hopefully someone will be able to give you more and better advice than I can. GOOD LUCK to you all and my prayers and good thoughts go out to you all. Thank you for caring and for helping these precious ones!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rkattufts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I will see what I can find out.

We just got her in a crate again (I literally wore my full welding outfit to do it. I even took the filter out of the mask and wore it. I am sure it was actually quite funny to look at). I hope this will allow us better control and maybe make her feel a bit safer. It did allow my wife a quick exam and she is PREGNANT. Engorged nipples and kittens in her belly.

I think we will try some other vets. My wife has also some hope for a no kill in the area. All I want is the kittens taken care of her spayed and made happy. If it means she live son the streets and eats at oyr place, so be it. It just frustrates me that people can do this to animals! The suspected father is an OBVIOUS dump. How can people do that?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I am glad I've found some people who care though. Nice to hear in light of such things as the Micheal Vick incident. (Which has lead me to consider the formation of the SPCMV - Society for the PROMOTION of Cruelty to Michael Vick!)

hubcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's GREAT that you've taken action - you might discuss with the local groups below what further steps you might take to help the homeless cats in your neighborhood.

She can be spayed at MSPCA 617-524-5007 for thirty five dollars, if she's feral and will be released. The kittens will be aborted. For the kittens to be saved, someone will have to foster her, and them, for at least 5 weeks, until the kittens are weaned. The kittens can't be adopted until they're 8 weeks of age.

Boston-area Feral/stray cat Resources
Trap-Neuter-Release info, workshops, vet&clinic referrals, trap loans, TNR assistance, sick/injured emergencies… These organizations may have funds or other resources to help – just ask.

Alliance for Animals
Feral-friendly vet clinic in S Boston
617-268-7800
www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA132.html

Animal Rescue League of Boston
Emergency (sick/injured/stuck) rescues & friendly strays
617-426-9170
www.Arlboston.org

Cat Connection
TNR assist (Newton,Waltham)
781-899-4610
[email protected]
www.thecatconnection.org

Charles River Alleycats TNR assist (Brighton, Charlestown, Somerville, Cambridge,Watertown)
617-244-0200
[email protected]
www.charlesriveralleycats.org

Commonwealth Cats
Monthly, free (donation requested) spay-neuter clinics for feral cats (TNR-only)
[email protected]
www.CommonwealthCats.org

HubCats TNR assist (Boston)
617-524-2867
[email protected]
www.Hubcats.petfinder.com

MassPaws
TNR assist (Revere, Chelsea, Saugus, Winthrop)
617-846-5586
[email protected]
www.masspaws.petfinder.com

MSPCA Feral-friendly low-cost spay/neuter for ferals in traps (JP)
617-522-5007
www.MSPCA.org

Revere Pet Clinic (10 Pleasant St, Revere) 781-284-2255
South Boston Dog and Cat Clinic (526a Dorchester Ave, S Boston) 617-269-1225
Feral-friendly for-profit vet clinic (two locations) - contact their shelter/rescue clients for possible discount, or pay their very reasonable rates.

Web links for TNR:
massanimalcoalition.org (low-cost spay/neuter)
neighborhoodcats.org (excellent TNR reference)
alleycat.org (TNR, caretaker, advocacy resources)

To Adopt needy cats and kittens:
Petfinder.com, and websites listed above.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RKatTufts

Thanks for your reply. I will see what I can find out.

We just got her in a crate again (I literally wore my full welding outfit to do it. I even took the filter out of the mask and wore it. I am sure it was actually quite funny to look at). I hope this will allow us better control and maybe make her feel a bit safer. It did allow my wife a quick exam and she is PREGNANT. Engorged nipples and kittens in her belly.

I think we will try some other vets. My wife has also some hope for a no kill in the area. All I want is the kittens taken care of her spayed and made happy. If it means she live son the streets and eats at oyr place, so be it. It just frustrates me that people can do this to animals! The suspected father is an OBVIOUS dump. How can people do that?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I am glad I've found some people who care though. Nice to hear in light of such things as the Micheal Vick incident. (Which has lead me to consider the formation of the SPCMV - Society for the PROMOTION of Cruelty to Michael Vick!)
Thank you for caring. I have to second HubCats suggestion to take her in to be spayed. Yes..that does mean aborting the unborn fetuses...but the alternative is trying to find a group that is willing to take a feral mom and her kittens for a period of 8-10 weeks after the kittens are born and working on taming them. I don't know how things are in Boston, but there are so many tame kittens that are put to sleep that is it truly the kindest thing to do. The cat can continue to live her life without having to have litter after litter and other needy kittens can find homes.

I would also suggest contacting a TNR group to get the rest of the colony spayed/neutered.

Katie

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tufts:

You're definitely my kind of folks and I agree with ya 100%. I don't know your feelings on the subject, but with MILLIONS of sweet and wonderful cats and kittens (and lately, mothers WITH BRAND NEW KITTENS) being put down in our so-called "shelters" because idiots don't get them fixed and don't care, I'd definitely think I wouldn't want more kittens born into that equation, and the vet CAN do something about that before they are born. If you don't agree, I understand -- but I hope you'll consider this for the sake of the unborn kittens and all the cats and kittens out there who are already HERE and have NO CHANCE of a good life whatsoever. If you can find a loving home for mom, that'd be wonderful; or if you can give her sanctuary and safety, that, too, would be very good.

I've heard it said that people don't value what they have too much of. That's a moot point to me -- I've always loved all cats and always will. But it's tragic,senseless, and beyond comprehension to me that EVERYONE who claims they "love" cats doesn't get their cats fixed as soon as they can, and even goes farther and gets neighborhood cats fixed (as I always have, and my family members, ditto). It is truly the caring thing to do.

As for the football player and his buddies, well, their lives can't have been too great up til now -- NFL careers notwithstanding -- because, to me anyway, a happy person is one who truly cares and who practices compassion for all living beings. That's an attribute in very short supply in this time and place, I'm afraid...for people as well as for members of other species. If they'd had humane education and role models who practiced it, their lives would have turned out differently and they'd be true role models for the youths. As it is -- well, I'm sure we agree.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The priority is to get her to eat. Don't feed her in a bowl, feed her on the floor. Feed her food she would find outside- bits of fried chicken with the skin removed (I have yet to meet a feral cat that turns down KFC) You trapped her by putting food out, so now all food is suspect, plus you have rocked her world by putting her inside. Leave out bits of safe human food and sprinkle the ground with dry kitten food. She needs the nutrients right now. Make sure she has two litter pans, places she can hide and fresh water. Set up a schedule of visits with her to see to her needs, and stick to those timed visits, so she will come to expect you in her domain. Ignore her if she does come out, don't reach for her, don't stare at her. Just scoop, feed and retreat. You can also schedule times when you will be in there to just sit on the floor and read out loud to her.

Although the best thing for her and for you would be to get her spayed, it is entirely your choice. I know that some people equate it with a human abortion, but it isn't that way at all. But again, you need to just think for a minute- about the "What If's"

What if she gives birth to stillborn kittens?
What if she isn't really pregnant but is having a false pregnancy?
What if, God forbid she should die after the birthing and you are suddenly saddled with x amount of kittens who need to be fed every 2 hours 24/7 and stimulated and cleaned up? Are you up for the challenge?
What if that beat-up Tom is the father and he has passed on infectious diseases to the kittens?
What if she gets mastitis?

These are just some of the scenarios that can and do play out when you rescue a pregnant stray cat. Plus, if she is hiding from you now, it is going to take you weeks to get close to her and have her trust you to handle her kittens. I do this all the time, so I am not just talking out of my hat.

Here in my area, dumping a pregnant feral cat at the shelter is a death sentence. I would imagine it is much the same where you are. If you claim she is "yours" you generally have to prove it by making an appointment to drop her off, taking her out of the carrier and allowing the staff to handle her. You also have to pay to drop her off.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do. And I thank you for caring about her enough to go that extra measure with her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

The priority is to get her to eat. Don't feed her in a bowl, feed her on the floor. Feed her food she would find outside- bits of fried chicken with the skin removed (I have yet to meet a feral cat that turns down KFC) You trapped her by putting food out, so now all food is suspect, plus you have rocked her world by putting her inside. Leave out bits of safe human food and sprinkle the ground with dry kitten food. She needs the nutrients right now. Make sure she has two litter pans, places she can hide and fresh water. Set up a schedule of visits with her to see to her needs, and stick to those timed visits, so she will come to expect you in her domain. Ignore her if she does come out, don't reach for her, don't stare at her. Just scoop, feed and retreat. You can also schedule times when you will be in there to just sit on the floor and read out loud to her.

Although the best thing for her and for you would be to get her spayed, it is entirely your choice. I know that some people equate it with a human abortion, but it isn't that way at all. But again, you need to just think for a minute- about the "What If's"

What if she gives birth to stillborn kittens?
What if she isn't really pregnant but is having a false pregnancy?
What if, God forbid she should die after the birthing and you are suddenly saddled with x amount of kittens who need to be fed every 2 hours 24/7 and stimulated and cleaned up? Are you up for the challenge?
What if that beat-up Tom is the father and he has passed on infectious diseases to the kittens?
What if she gets mastitis?

These are just some of the scenarios that can and do play out when you rescue a pregnant stray cat. Plus, if she is hiding from you now, it is going to take you weeks to get close to her and have her trust you to handle her kittens. I do this all the time, so I am not just talking out of my hat.

Here in my area, dumping a pregnant feral cat at the shelter is a death sentence. I would imagine it is much the same where you are. If you claim she is "yours" you generally have to prove it by making an appointment to drop her off, taking her out of the carrier and allowing the staff to handle her. You also have to pay to drop her off.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do. And I thank you for caring about her enough to go that extra measure with her.
YOU'RE a TOP CAT. What great and all-encompassing information, some of which I didn't even know! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing it with the poster and with all of us at TCS. That's news we can ALL use!