Dr Claw has had a relapse

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is breaking my heart. I'm finding fur tufts in the apartment.

I'm going to get some Feliway this weekend as well as some more Rescue Remedy.

To be honest, I wish I could just talk to him and find out what is wrong. We've tried everything, and it just doesn't seem to work. I broke down in tears yesterday because I just can't figure this out.

I'm sorry to be such an emotional wreck, but I really thought that I had this licked.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about his relapse
Hopefully the feliway helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I'm sorry to hear about his relapse
Hopefully the feliway helps.
So do I.

I'm also going to take him back to the vet too. He may need Prozac.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might be a silly question, but is there a Cat Whisperer in your area? Someone that can "talk" to him to find out what the problem is?

Poor boy. He must be worried about something.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh, Heather, I'm so sorry to hear Dr Claw's issues have returned
I wish I had some advice for you, but Antigone was an over-groomer and she just stopped with the addition of Hades, and Sapphy was a fur-puller and she just stopped on her own too. Lot's of vibes for Dr Claw

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, I'm so sorry. Isis is an overgroomer too and will lick herself bloody if stressed. So she is the baby of the bunch and the other cats try to pick on her which leads to the over grooming again. The vets give her steriod shots which work for awhile but not long enough. They want to put her on prozac but I can't see her not being herself. As long as she's not stressed, she's fine. (for Isis that is)

I hope you find a solution to Dr Claws problems soon.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad for him. He when he does it he gives me the sad eyes.

I just want to take him everywhere with me and hug him all day. Perhaps he just needs more attention.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did anything change that may have stressed him out? My boy was getting stressed out by construction workers/equipement on the street this last week. He peed out in the hallway (farthest point from the construction workers).

This may just be a temporary set back...you were making such miraculous progress!! Don't give up...give him hugs and cuddles from me!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm sorry, give him kisses from me.......i hope everything gets better soon.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Heather! I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope it turns out to be "just a blip". Please give your sweet boy
from me, and keep a bunch for yourself.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. Many vibes for Dr. Claw and hugs
for you! I hope it is just a small temporary setback.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

Did anything change that may have stressed him out? My boy was getting stressed out by construction workers/equipement on the street this last week. He peed out in the hallway (farthest point from the construction workers).

This may just be a temporary set back...you were making such miraculous progress!! Don't give up...give him hugs and cuddles from me!
OMG... we've had the air-conditioning on for the past week because it's been so hot.

You don't think that it could be that do you?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

OMG... we've had the air-conditioning on for the past week because it's been so hot.

You don't think that it could be that do you?
Maybe the sound of it scares him? I wonder if it's worth keeping the A/C off, and having a fan in your bedroom instead and see if that helps?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Dr. Claw

Don't you have a friend who is a cat behaviourist who helped you with 8-Bit (said something about letting him feel like part of the group when you have company over so he doesn't drag your undies around as presents)? Maybe she can help with Dr. Claw?

Sending lots of good vibes your way.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After having gone throgh this with Cassi, I can sympathize.

Oddly, Cassi only stopped (she had gotten to the point of self mutilation) when we ignored it altogether.
No more baths, no more shirts, no more trips to the vet.
All of those things were stressors for her and caused her to chew.

Good luck with Claw, I certainly hope you are able to put a stop to this, if not find out the cause.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Poor Dr. Claw

Don't you have a friend who is a cat behaviourist who helped you with 8-Bit (said something about letting him feel like part of the group when you have company over so he doesn't drag your undies around as presents)? Maybe she can help with Dr. Claw?

Sending lots of good vibes your way.
She's seen him, and told me that he needs a ton of attention and that weird things are going to set this off. It just doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason to it.

I turned off the A/C today, so we will see if I find any fur pulling when I go home tonight.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Dr Claw

Just throwing a few things out here...It sounds like you're absolutely sure it's him pulling it out? I thought Stanley was overgrooming and then I noticed that the fur was flying during play time...

Did you mention there was a new neighbor cat, or was that someone else? It showed up outside the door? I wonder if the smell of a new cat in the area could have tipped him over the edge?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The vet told me that once they start pulling out their fur that there is a good chance it is something that you will battle for the rest of their lives.

Abby also has a nice little bare spot near her tail right now. It seems like it acts up more in the summer.

Have you ruled out allergies?