Man Sues Florist

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Tuff luck, dude. Hopefully your wife won't marry such an idiot next time around.

Well they were already divorcing, so it's not like the florist caused it. They do have an obligation to stick to their privacy policy though.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically they were still married and in some courts can be seen as "one" entity. so whatever the husband does, the wife has the rights to know. She should not (and IMO cannot) be considered a 3rd party.

I hope he doesn't win.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
not to take the scuzzball's side in this, but...

I'm surprised that a florist, given the surprise nature of many or most delivery purchases, would give a copy of the reciept to someone who wasn't the purchaser (unless obtained for legal reasons for a court case). In another, happier situation, Mr. Greer could've been sending the flowers to his home address, for his wife, and giving out this info would spoil the surprise. Since he most likely bought the flowers with a credit card, unless it was also in Mrs. Greer's name, I find it odd they'd give her any info on the account.

I don't know how she has legal recourse to ask for any $$, because she found out he's got a girlfriend. They already had decided to divorce; they may have, even though domiciling together, decided to see other people (I've heard of this, and also had it happen in my family once). Sometimes, a couple will live in the same house, even though they've decided to divorce, until one of the spouses makes living arrangements elsewhere. This may not have meant one already had another partner lined up (though I think it's highly likely!)--this may have been going on for months before the flowers incident. And who knows, maybe SHE had cheated on HIM, as the cause of the split (not saying this is true; just a hypothetical idea), and he found solace elsewhere.

If he cheated on her, and this was the cause of the divorce, I do think he's a $$#%#%$. However, once they mutually made the decision to split, how can she get (legally) angry over him sending a girlfriend flowers? Morally, yes, of course, but legally hold it against him?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Technically they were still married and in some courts can be seen as "one" entity. so whatever the husband does, the wife has the rights to know. She should not (and IMO cannot) be considered a 3rd party.

I hope he doesn't win.
That's it exactly. She's still his wife and not a third party.

When I worked for a credit card company people would call in on their spouce's accounts, and as long as they were listed we had to tell them what was on it.

I had several phone calls end up in tears because of that.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

That's it exactly. She's still his wife and not a third party.

When I worked for a credit card company people would call in on their spouce's accounts, and as long as they were listed we had to tell them what was on it.

I had several phone calls end up in tears because of that.
In the case of calling the actual credit card company, yes.

But she called the flower company and asked for a copy of the invoice. As far as the florist is concerned, she could be anyone... she did not have to prove she was his wife to them, so they should not be giving ANY information out to her.

We have ordered flowers through work on a business credit card and they would only send a copy of the invoice to the card holder of the card used or the person who ordered (which in our case was different as the receptionist doesn't have a company card)

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the Florists definition of a third party is someone other than the household, someone who doesn't share the account that they used to buy the flowers. A wife really isn't a third party, in my opinion.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think if her name was on the credit card, she should have had rights to the information. After all, she is liable to pay for the bill if he doesn't so in a way, she bought them.

Legal wrangling aside, the guy is a jerk. HE messed up, HE got caught and now he want's someone else to pay. If I were in his shoes (which I would never be, but just saying) I would never drag my dirty laundry out in the public like this. I would be too embarrassed. Hopefully these two don't have kids. Think how embarrassing this would be for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

Hopefully these two don't have kids. Think how embarrassing this would be for them.
Quote from the article: "After learning of the affair, Greer's wife asked for a $300,000 divorce settlement in addition to child support"

Sounds like she was okay with just child support until she discovered this.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is trying to find a way for someone else to pay for his divorce.

My guess is that the old home address was on the account, so they would be okay sending a copy of the bill to the home.

The guy was on TV earlier - what a jerk.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, a cheating b-----d deserves what he gets. I hope they throw the case out and he ends up paying all the court fees. If he wanted to keep it a secret, he should have gone to a local florist and paid in cash.