New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Bambino"

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Familiar with them?

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8925807

Saw it there.....is this really being done? I do suppose it is. Sorry, just wondering if anyone else knew anything about them?
post #2 of 14
designer cats ....
post #3 of 14
I agree - another money making cat - I don't like the Munchkins to start with - never have. And its just another "what if we cross...." . IMO nothing to improve either breed.

I disagree with the breeding of Munchkins with any kind of coat!
post #4 of 14
I am not on here to argue and do not have Munchkins or Bambino's. However, for discussion sake, do you agree with the Persian? I mean the argument can be made that a smushed in face is much worse than short legs.

Most of the breeds that we have were "designed". All breeds were purposely bred. Some are recent - the Bengal, Ocicat, Sphynx, etc... Some have a longer history - back to ancient days.

Same is true for the dog world. Not many dogs look like the wolf anymore. Some dogs were bred for a purpose and some were bred for lapdogs, but they were all designed at some point.

Not wanting to offend, so please don't interpret what I am saying as offensive. Just curious how some people can have a pure bred animal, but be so against new breeds.
post #5 of 14
I see your point. Its personal perference for me. But I don't agree with the "let's cross this one to that one and see what we get" either for the most part. There are enough breeds out there now for people to choose from (cats in all fur lengths, sizes, body types) that why do we need to keep "creating" another one?

Same for the designer dogs - I'm REALLY against them big time
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I see your point. Its personal perference for me. But I don't agree with the "let's cross this one to that one and see what we get" either for the most part. There are enough breeds out there now for people to choose from (cats in all fur lengths, sizes, body types) that why do we need to keep "creating" another one?

Same for the designer dogs - I'm REALLY against them big time
I can see your point. I just think that people had that same point 100 years ago, as well. I don't know if we will ever see a stop to the variety. While I don't desire a short cat, I have seen them and they don't seem to be hampered in any way. They are strong and able.

Not sure where the line should be. I have a problem with breeders that breed for extra toes and things like that, so I guess we all have a line somewhere.
post #7 of 14
You are probably right about that. When people put too many $ signs in front of their eyes, you get the problems in the shelters of discarded pets who don't "measure up"!
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliachat View Post
However, for discussion sake, do you agree with the Persian? I mean the argument can be made that a smushed in face is much worse than short legs.
I do not agree with what breeders have done to Persians. Discussing Persians will need it's own thread. As for new breeds I don't really see a problem in them except that so many people are in it for the money. As for that one particular cat that woman/man should never have been a breeder. A part of being a good breeder imo is having a plan in case something arises where you could no longer care for your cats. Not sending your pregnant cat to a rescue.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
I don't agree with Persians either. But, I will say, I have met some wonderful Persians. I do not like them because the ones I see are in the HS & are the ones with mega health problems....BYB kitties.

Munchkins....I dunno. There was one kitty that was likely a munchkin in the HS here. He had problems walking.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I don't agree with Persians either. But, I will say, I have met some wonderful Persians. I do not like them because the ones I see are in the HS & are the ones with mega health problems....BYB kitties.

Munchkins....I dunno. There was one kitty that was likely a munchkin in the HS here. He had problems walking.
I haven't seen any Munchkins that had any difficulty. Those would, probably, be the most likely to show up in the HS, though. That is a shame. Health should always come first, in my opinion. The short legged cats that I have seen are very able to do everything that the long legged ones can do. Guess it is like the difference in a medium sized dog and a tiny one. Just wait till someone creates a super sized cat, like the Great Dane or Irish Wolfhound in the dog world. It will happen at some point.

Like I stated, I have no problem with any of these breeds, if they are healthy and happy cats. Unethical breeders are more the problem, no matter if it is with a Bambino, Munchkin, Persian, or a Domestic Shorthair. I know good and bad breeders in all of those cats.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliachat View Post
I am not on here to argue and do not have Munchkins or Bambino's. However, for discussion sake, do you agree with the Persian? I mean the argument can be made that a smushed in face is much worse than short legs.

Most of the breeds that we have were "designed". All breeds were purposely bred. Some are recent - the Bengal, Ocicat, Sphynx, etc... Some have a longer history - back to ancient days.

Same is true for the dog world. Not many dogs look like the wolf anymore. Some dogs were bred for a purpose and some were bred for lapdogs, but they were all designed at some point.

Not wanting to offend, so please don't interpret what I am saying as offensive. Just curious how some people can have a pure bred animal, but be so against new breeds.
What I find distressing is when what is being bred in could objectively be considered a physical defect: excessively short legs, hairless, a smushed face. I've heard, could be totally wrong, that there is a trend to produce persians with even flatter faces. I find that *very* distressing.

I don't mean to offend either but I do think there is such a thing as going too far.

FYI: I think sphynxs are adorable.
post #12 of 14
What is "HS" ???
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
What is "HS" ???
She was referring to Humane Society, I believe.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Yes, Humane Society. Sorry.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding