Biting my hands AND wires! Help!

mektige

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lately my approx 14-16 week old kitten, Sweetie, has been interested in excessive biting of my hands (ouch!) and wires in my room. The hand biting will most likely tone down as she gets older and more laid back, I assume, because bopping her on the nose and saying "no" firmly only makes her mad. What I'm really worried about is wires. I have a computer, television, and many other wires in my room that are just ASKING for her to bite right through. I'm worried about her health as well as my possessions.

I'm completely broke, so are there any remedies that any of you have tried to keep your cats off of wires? I've tried my little hand-vaccuum to scare her away when she starts playing with stuff like that, but she just sneaks back to it later. I've done all I can to block off areas with wires, but some areas just can't be fully covered, not to mention she's learning to simply climb right over obstacles I've placed in her way.

Sweetie is a fairly affectionate kitten when she's sleepy or calm, and tends to love to be pet and cuddled at night when I go to bed (she usually sleeps darn near right on my head!), but this hand and wire biting has got to stop!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Might want to keep a small spray bottle of undiluted vinegar and spray the area where the wires are, cats hate strong smells especially vinegar.

Does she have lots of toys?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd get a bottle of Bitter Apple spray for the wires - I find it works best

But until you get one, you could take some paper towel or toilet paper empty rolls and slide the wires in those for some protection. Bitter Apple is only a few dollars, so I recommend you get it as soon as you can!

As far as hand biting - is your kitten an only kitten? How old was she when adopted. If an only kitten, you might consider a 2nd kitten as a playmate to save your hands - otherwise YOU are the kitten's littermate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mektige

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'd get a bottle of Bitter Apple spray for the wires - I find it works best

But until you get one, you could take some paper towel or toilet paper empty rolls and slide the wires in those for some protection. Bitter Apple is only a few dollars, so I recommend you get it as soon as you can!

As far as hand biting - is your kitten an only kitten? How old was she when adopted. If an only kitten, you might consider a 2nd kitten as a playmate to save your hands - otherwise YOU are the kitten's littermate
There's far too many random wires (I have lots of computer equipment, music equipment, etc) to use paper towel rolls on, unfortunately. My mom said she used bitter apple spray with our old cat (I was only about 12 then, so I don't recall) and it didn't work. Of course, I dunno if there's been any advancements with it in the last 8 years, but I'm assuming each cat reacts at least slightly different.

And yes, she is an only kitty, and she was found when she was about 6-8 weeks old. We can't afford two cats, or I might consider getting another. Besides, she's my pride and joy. I couldn't imagine sharing my love with any other precious kitty.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as placing wires inside cardboard rolls, this will most likely back fire! Most kittens/cats love to play with those even more
! My suggestion, as well as experience being full proof, is to wrap all loose/slack wires/cords up and tie them in neat, tight bunches so they are not all over the floor and dangling from things. This is most likely going to sound over whelming if they were to many for previous suggestion, but these are the things you need to do when making homes safe for babies.

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eath, MilkyWayGalaxy, LocalGroup, SuperVirgoCluste
Wires pose a massive problem for me, too. (see my post in Care and Grooming). I plan to sector off a room (see below). Anyways, I heard tabasco, cayenne, sprayign with water works. Also, you can just "train it" to not like the wires.

Okay, new frisky critter on the way. I have a section of the apartment that's LOADED with wires, chords, etc. -- cat danger -- big time. I must sector off that area of the apartment. right now it's isolated in the kitchen with a 2feetx10feet entry way. Any good (inexpensive, non-elaborate but effective) ideas on how to create some kind of barrier? Training the cat to not enter the room would be the best, but how do I get the cat to "fear" and not enter that wireroom?

Thanks

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice given. Check out the Sticky's at the top of this section on aggression etc.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by johntkucz

Wires pose a massive problem for me, too. (see my post in Care and Grooming). I plan to sector off a room (see below). Anyways, I heard tabasco, cayenne, sprayign with water works. Also, you can just "train it" to not like the wires.

Okay, new frisky critter on the way. I have a section of the apartment that's LOADED with wires, chords, etc. -- cat danger -- big time. I must sector off that area of the apartment. right now it's isolated in the kitchen with a 2feetx10feet entry way. Any good (inexpensive, non-elaborate but effective) ideas on how to create some kind of barrier? Training the cat to not enter the room would be the best, but how do I get the cat to "fear" and not enter that wireroom?

Thanks
Trying to provoke a "fear" reaction of an area in a home is definitely not a good idea, when it comes to cats/kittens especially! Cats do keep alive the age old saying "curiosity killed the cat.". If you are brining a kitten into your home, best to completely close off this room with a door till grown mature enough past teething and more responsive to your commands. It is rare that cats will go after wires and cords, kittens more so since they are growing and go through teething and are looking for things to play with since everything is new.

mektige

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, the cords behind my computer are so scattered and excessive that there's really no way of tying them up into one big roll.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mektige

Well, the cords behind my computer are so scattered and excessive that there's really no way of tying them up into one big roll.
Thats the thing...... If you don't know how to hook up everything yourself, then it is to challenging. Of course it is a good idea to keep cord slack tied up individually for many reasons.......
But if this is impossible, another solution is to place boards or cardboard tall enough to avoid intrigue around area to keep kittens out of that area. When Maia was in her explore toddler stage, I had to do both!

mektige

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Thats the thing...... If you don't know how to hook up everything yourself, then it is to challenging. Of course it is a good idea to keep cord slack tied up individually for many reasons.......
But if this is impossible, another solution is to place boards or cardboard tall enough to avoid intrigue around area to keep kittens out of that area. When Maia was in her explore toddler stage, I had to do both!
I did just that the night I brought her home, but unfortunately not all of the wires are able to be covered.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mektige

Trust me, there is a way to tie them up and secure them so they can't be fooled with.

We have a lotttt of computer related equipment all hooked up. (my husband builds computers for a living)

When we first got our kitten, he would be attacking everything so we went through one by one organizing the wires.

It's a pain in the butt but it has to be done for her safety.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

Trust me, there is a way to tie them up and secure them so they can't be fooled with.

We have a lotttt of computer related equipment all hooked up. (my husband builds computers for a living)

When we first got our kitten, he would be attacking everything so we went through one by one organizing the wires.

Agreed, it is so worth going through the process before you regret not doing so! DaniMarie, you sound like me! I am a bit anal any way, but everything individually tied up!

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Trying to provoke a "fear" reaction of an area in a home is definitely not a good idea, when it comes to cats/kittens especially! Cats do keep alive the age old saying "curiosity killed the cat.". If you are brining a kitten into your home, best to completely close off this room with a door till grown mature enough past teething and more responsive to your commands. It is rare that cats will go after wires and cords, kittens more so since they are growing and go through teething and are looking for things to play with since everything is new.
Good call about the "no fear" in the area when introducing (or whenever) cats. The only way it will work is by closing off that room with all the wires. The kittens just lazer-lock onto the wires and chew-chew-chew, very dangerous, very stressful, so I have to seal that important room off from the kitten.

Thanks.

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

For cleanliness and a clean workstation -- I can't vouch of its efficacy for catproofing -- I just bound all wires in one gigantic strand (about 5-6 electronic wires) with rubber bands, that certainly would isolate the problem.

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Also, i'd never try to "provoke fear"; just on the look out for the cat's safety. But you're right, Fear should not exist around cats!

danad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Maddix was a real chewer while teething. I was his favorite chew toy.
Until I got a tip from another forum. provide her with odd safe things he can chew while you are playing with her (supervised), plastic straws are great !
Also if you take one of there soft toys & but it on your neck, they like you sent & will chew on it, instead of you sometimes.

I never tried this one, but someone else said freezing a damp washcloth worked wonders for there cat, made the perfect teething toy & helped the pain.

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
okay, I'd never want this to happen (this entire thread revolves around ensuring this DOESN'T happen), but does anyone know of a cat (first-hand experience) getting severely injured -- I guess, electrocuted?? -- from biting/playing with wires? I definitely want to avoid that at all costs and take the necessary preventive measures, but am trying to get a scope of how easyily (or quickly) cats can get into injurious trouble with wires. thanks.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you're being totally serious as it could be a serious problem, but the only thing that comes to mind is the persian in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation".

nightcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by johntkucz

okay, I'd never want this to happen (this entire thread revolves around ensuring this DOESN'T happen), but does anyone know of a cat (first-hand experience) getting severely injured -- I guess, electrocuted?? -- from biting/playing with wires? I definitely want to avoid that at all costs and take the necessary preventive measures, but am trying to get a scope of how easyily (or quickly) cats can get into injurious trouble with wires. thanks.
someone I knew had a kitten who chewed through a tv mains cable,the Kitten died instantly and was (she said only behind the telly for a minute
) Dont know if that is true about the minute ?? but if you are looking for ways to stop animals biting through cables you are better off going to your diy store and getting some plastic tubing specially for cables to be threaded through,they are only afew pounds each here so that would be about $1.50 for a 10 foot peice and that peice will cover three seperate cables