Buying a used cat tree

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I tried searching for this but I just kept getting stuff on trees. I was looking at buying a cat tree from a lady on craigslist, apparently her cats don't use it. I was wondering if I should worry about Tsar smelling the other cats?? Is there anything I can do to prevent that? Thanks!!

Brittany

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Tsar could very well pick up other cat scent and be upset by it. I wouldn't recommend buying used cat furniture for this reason.
I agree. My cats wouldn't use a used cat tree.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat tree that came from the Goodwill outlet. It was $5.00US and has lasted about 5 years now. Think we got our money's worth out of it.

When we first brought it home, Seb sniffed it all over and then settled in as if it had been his forever

I say you have about a 50/50 chance. It may depend on how territorial your cat is, too.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heck, if the price is right, I'd say if you are worried about it, vacuum it up, spray it down with some good ol' Natures Remedy Odor Remover & You should be all good

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've received numerous used cat trees over the years. With the size of my household, you bet they are territorial.

I spray them down with an odor neutralizer and vacuum them completely. The cats will still sniff them a lot, but soon make them home. They are more happy to have a new big toy than they are concerned about another cat's smell.

xman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got a used cat tree for Bella. I simply removed the cat hair with packing tape and sprinkled catnip on it. Luckily, Bella is responsive to catnip and instantly loved the thing. That's her inside it in my sig.

X

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the input!
Its on craigslist, so if the lady accepts my offer then it will definitely be worth the money! I thought about maybe putting it on our porch outside for the night to help too. I don't know if he's territorial or not because I've never seen him around other cats.

I'll keep you posted if I get it!