It's enough to make me mad!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got an e-mail from someone I was friends with up until 2 years ago. We had been friends since the first grade, well one (of several) reasons I no longer wanted to be her friend was her lack of respect for animals. She had many cats who were allowed to roam (despite living on a very busy highway). Of coase almost none of them were spayed or neutered. So they of coarse continued to multiply & in breed. Her husband would sell the kittens to a local pet shop, and when they got too many adults would load them into cardboard carriers & dump them at the door of their human society. Why I never called the authorities is beyond me, but I didn't. Well I haven't talked to her in 2 years. She and her husband have been living with her mom and I got an e-mail this morning saying they are looking to buy a house, but need to find homes for the kitties because there are too many (well duh). She wanted to know if the shelter I volunteer for had room. Well it's still kitten season and we are full and have a waiting list. I responded and told her this and that she could call and get on the waiting list.

The more I sit here and think about this the more angry it makes me. I think it takes a lot of guts to let your animal numbers get out of control and then when you don't want them anymore contact someone who you haven't spoken to in 2 years to try and get help. These situations in general make me mad because my Jordan is probably dieing of cancer and I would give the world to save him, but people with healthy cats just don't want them because they are not convinent. It just make me angry!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is one thing we will never do is be irresponsible with our cats. It isn't that hard to get your animal spayed or neutered. Its a one time thing - then you'll never have to worry about it again.

We just never understood why people get cats and then don't take care of them. Its the people like what Rang_27 has described that are the reason why the cat/kitten population is skyrocketing. Makes us mad too!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is ignorant...a lot of times people don't mean to do harm, they just do not THINK. Do you think you could write her and educate her a little?

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some people just don't get the actual responsibly of being a pet owner.
Pets aren't something that you should take in unless you know what you are getting into.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

It sounds like she is ignorant...a lot of times people don't mean to do harm, they just do not THINK. Do you think you could write her and educate her a little?
Oh I have tried. Every time I tried to talk to her about spaying & neutreing it was, "well the low cost place always asks about how many we have & we've already been turned into the authorities: Or the most rediculous I've heard "Every time I get one fixed, they end up going out in the road & getting killed, so why bother."