I hurt my shoulder!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I hurt my shoulder. Today I can hardly move my arm. I need to go to the store for some tylonal or something and see if that will help. I cant lift up my arm or anything without pain. I dont think its broke or anything so not much a Dr. could do. But not a good way to start out the week.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been having pain in my shoulder for about 4 days now. I have some stuff that is for muscle aches and strains and that seems to be helping. It is similar to Robacacet. (sp)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did you do to hurt it? Fall, have it twisted? Depending on what happened, it's possible that it could be dislocated. Or it just might be strained.

Apply ice packs to the shoulder to help combat swelling. Don't apply heat because that will only make it worse. Heat is for chronic things like arthritis or gout. Always use ice for injuries.

Apply for 20 minutes several times a day. Don't keep it on constantly all day because you will end up with frost bite.

Also, don't buy Tylenol. The way Tylenol works is to change the way the brain perceives the pain. Instead buy Ibuprophen (ie: Advil). You can get the generic brand so long as it's Ibuprophen. That is an anti-inflammatory and actually works at the source of the pain to decrease swelling and inflammation thereby helping to reduce the pain.

Also, it's important to keep using that arm so it doesn't stiffen up on you to make things worse. Do slow and relaxed shoulder rotates (just the shoulder. Don't flap your arms around like a bird learning to fly). Slowly and gently lift your arm as high as you can both in front and to the side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well dont laugh at me but I found out yesterday that im not as young as I used to be and took the kids swimming.

Well my daughter and I were going off the diving board and i was teaching her how to dive. Well somehow I hit the water kind of hard or just right and my arm twisted towards my back.

Hard to explain. But picture your arms up and one getting forced backwards. I still dont know how it happened. But the pain it felt like my arm got ripped off.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it may be the rotator cuff.

As long as your arm is functioning well at the elbow and wrist, the hand works, the arm is a normal temperature (not too cold) and you can feel it when you touch the arm - then try the ibuprofen several days. Be sure you don't take more than directed, but do take it around the clock. Ice is also a good idea.
If it's not better after 5 days, make an appt. (Many insurance companies want you to treat it with OTC methods first).
I was lucky with my rotator cuff - 6 months of physical therapy allowed us to get by with an easier surgery.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

It sounds like it may be the rotator cuff.

As long as your arm is functioning well at the elbow and wrist, the hand works, the arm is a normal temperature (not too cold) and you can feel it when you touch the arm - then try the ibuprofen several days. Be sure you don't take more than directed, but do take it around the clock. Ice is also a good idea.
If it's not better after 5 days, make an appt. (Many insurance companies want you to treat it with OTC methods first).
I was lucky with my rotator cuff - 6 months of physical therapy allowed us to get by with an easier surgery.
I was thinking rotator cup too. My FIL had problems with his and he just ignored it...NOT a good idea. Everything suggested here is good. If it doesn't get any better though, definitely make an appointment to see what's going on. The surgery FIL had to have was VERY expensive, and he did a lot of damage trying to ignore it for a year while still trying to work.