Has anyone ever done there own shots?

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we got the kitten yesterday we took it to a shelter and they told us where to get vaccines and wormers for the kitten. We picked up a 3 in 1 kitten vaccine and a wormer and vaccinated and gave the kitten the wormer. He's still going to the vets but the shelter said that is a lot cheaper.

Is giving the at home vaccines and wormers safer, or even as effective as the vets? I plan on having the vet give the next round of shots to the kitten. I didn't know if anyone else has done, or does do this for their cats?

Here is the vaccine that I bought for the kitten yesterday:

http://www.durvet.com/prods/FELINE_518/DetailSheet.html

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recommend vet shots since you get a OFFICIAL record thus preventing possible doulbe vaccinating ... MANY vets dont accept shots done by the owner ... OTC wormers are at best ineffective ...

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also agree that it'd be best to have them done at the vet for the official record. In regard to the OTC wormers...one of my kittens had tapeworm a week after I got her, so I bought a bottle of 3 Praziquantel tapeworm pills by TradeWinds from Petco...no more tapeworms since and saved myself a bunch of money. However, this is the only OTC wormer I'd recommend...no telling on those other hookworm/roundworm ones.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I recommend vet shots since you get a OFFICIAL record thus preventing possible doulbe vaccinating ... MANY vets dont accept shots done by the owner
I believe that's really only important for rabies, since you can refuse the other shots at vets office and not be potentially breaking any laws.
Rabies has to be given by a vet, as most communities want proof the cat has been properly vaccinated if there's a bite.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I believe that's really only important for rabies, since you can refuse the other shots at vets office and not be potentially breaking any laws.
Rabies has to be given by a vet, as most communities want proof the cat has been properly vaccinated if there's a bite.
NO see RABIES is not avail ( at least in my two state area ) anywhere but a VET...

I learned about vet redoing other shots when the rabies was started from some breeders here and at home

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

NO see RABIES is not avail ( at least in my two state area ) anywhere but a VET...
Rabies vaccines are available here and quite easy to get, the local livestock and feed store sells it for cat and dog use. No idea as to what counties are ok with that though.
But maybe that's because this is primarily a rural farm area.

As far as I know, no other vaccines are legally required here, it may be different for other states.

But to answer the OP's question. My father used to vaccinate our dogs and a couple of friends' dogs for rabies. Though the dogs never had any reactions, I wouldn't let him touch the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did call my vet today and asked about the shots and if they would except them, or make us redo them, and they said as long as we had a shot record and the type of shot it'll be no problem (I did make up a shot record with his estimated birthday and the date of his shot and worming and also his weekly weights). They said that should be good and they won't need to redo his vaccines.

I feel bad for doing them myself though but the shelter said it was ok and would be a good idea seeing as he was outside and coming inside so we just did what the shelter said. He'll go to the vet for his next round though in 3 weeks.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by auchick

I also agree that it'd be best to have them done at the vet for the official record. In regard to the OTC wormers...one of my kittens had tapeworm a week after I got her, so I bought a bottle of 3 Praziquantel tapeworm pills by TradeWinds from Petco...no more tapeworms since and saved myself a bunch of money. However, this is the only OTC wormer I'd recommend...no telling on those other hookworm/roundworm ones.
There are OTC dewormers that do and do not work. I hate telling people just to go to th vet and that OTC dewormers never work. You have to look for the correct ACTIVE INGREDIENT. For tapeworms it is PRAZIQUANTAL and for ROUND and HOOKWORMS it is PYRANTAL PAMOATE which you can buy at all sorts of stores. This is the EXACT same thing the vet will give you. You do not want to buy PIPRAZINE which is much harder on the system and can cause diarrhea and problems and basially just not work at all.

Oh and to answer your questions, yes I do all my own cats vaccines as well as all the foster ones that are up for adoption.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

There are OTC dewormers that do and do not work. I hate telling people just to go to th vet and that OTC dewormers never work. You have to look for the correct ACTIVE INGREDIENT. For tapeworms it is PRAZIQUANTAL and for ROUND and HOOKWORMS it is PYRANTAL PAMOATE which you can buy at all sorts of stores. This is the EXACT same thing the vet will give you. You do not want to buy PIPRAZINE which is much harder on the system and can cause diarrhea and problems and basially just not work at all.
How many times does a kitten need to be wormed? If you notice no signs of worms after the first worming do you need to continue? i wormed him the one time and he did have a big pot belly when we brought him in but it's gone now. Should I continue worming him a 2-3 week intervals (well have the vet worm him I mean)?

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vaccinate my own cats, dogs and horses. Most of the vaccines now have a peel off label that you can affix to your own record. Make sure to note the lot number and Expiration date, as well as the name brand and what the vaccine is for.

The biggest problem with owner vaccinations is failure to keep the product cold until used. It cannot sit in a hot car. I alway bring a little cooler when I purchase vaccines from the feed store. If you order them online make sure they are properly packages and still cold when you get them. Then straight into the fridge.

Rabies vaccinations must be given by a vet here. However I have a friend in Missouri who can purchase the rabies vaccine in the farm store just like Strange_Wings can in Ok. I think it depends on what state you live in.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lonelykitten

How many times does a kitten need to be wormed? If you notice no signs of worms after the first worming do you need to continue? i wormed him the one time and he did have a big pot belly when we brought him in but it's gone now. Should I continue worming him a 2-3 week intervals (well have the vet worm him I mean)?
If the cat had a visable pot belly or you saw the worms, I would do it at least twice just to be sure. I have access to a microscope so I can look for the worms myself, but most people don't
But just to play it save. Maybe yearly, take your cat in to the vet for the checkups if you want and bring along a stool sample or have the vet do a fecal.

On a side note, i only ever vaccinate twice, after that they are done. I do not believe in overvaccinating and will not subject my cat to the dangers of overvaccinating. I have seen too many cats come down with the illness they are being vaccinated against.