We found a cat trapped in our shed today!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH had to get something out of our storage shed this morning, opened the door and found things knocked down off the top shelf. After a short investigation we found one of the barn cats up on the top shelf. Last time DH was in the shed was probably last wed or thurs so the poor thing was trapped there with no food or water until today!

We finally coaxed him out with food and luckily he is only of the friendly ones so after he got over being scared, he was pretty easy to deal with.

Good news is MIL says he was down in the barn eating and drinking when she fed tonight. He is a little thin but doesn't seem too bad. I keep telling DH to make sure there are no cats (or snakes or anything else) in the shed before he closes the door. I don't see why he can't just get what he needs and close the door then instead of leaving it open for half the day, but maybe that's a male thing.

I just feel so bad! I mean, I've closed the bathroom door, the refrigerator door, and almost every other door on my cats, but I usually find them in 24 hours...I can't imagine that poor thing being in the shed for 4-5 days!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

DH had to get something out of our storage shed this morning, opened the door and found things knocked down off the top shelf. After a short investigation we found one of the barn cats up on the top shelf. Last time DH was in the shed was probably last wed or thurs so the poor thing was trapped there with no food or water until today!

We finally coaxed him out with food and luckily he is only of the friendly ones so after he got over being scared, he was pretty easy to deal with.

Good news is MIL says he was down in the barn eating and drinking when she fed tonight. He is a little thin but doesn't seem too bad. I keep telling DH to make sure there are no cats (or snakes or anything else) in the shed before he closes the door. I don't see why he can't just get what he needs and close the door then instead of leaving it open for half the day, but maybe that's a male thing.

I just feel so bad! I mean, I've closed the bathroom door, the refrigerator door, and almost every other door on my cats, but I usually find them in 24 hours...I can't imagine that poor thing being in the shed for 4-5 days!
Hi Calico....I'm glad he is ok. I do hope also that he has been neutered. It will improve his life.

Katie

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the poor baby! I'm paranoid about doors, too. We have an outer glass door in the front, in addition to the solid door, and we sometimes lock the outer door and leave the solid one partly open so the cats can look outside.

A couple of years ago, my mom was closing things up for the night and shoved that door closed, then went out to the kitchen. Meanwhile, I walked through and heard this faint mewing sound, very muted, but none of the kitties I could find were crying. Finally, I realized it was outside and opened the door to see if there was a stray cat out there who was hurt or something.

And I found that poor Sassy, our plump medium-haired calitortie, had been closed into the space between the solid door and the glass one, and was so compressed she hardly had enough air to make a sound! When I saw her, I was so horrified I actually got tunnel vision and went dizzy, had to sit down... and Sassy immediately started loving on me, bless her forgiving little heart. It makes me sick to think what could have happened. We're so lucky it didn't just crush her ribcage instantly!

Since then, we're so careful to look before we close that door. And I'm so paranoid that I actually close it and then open it again to doublecheck before I close it for real.

Kitties are so small and vulnerable to our mistakes... sometimes I wish they were all the size of golden retrievers, so it would be harder for us to accidentally hurt them.

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RI the littlest stop on the map..........
So glad Dh found the kitty I know what you saying how can they live without food or water for that amount of time thank goodness they can. When they are so little you have to have eyes all over your head I know I do my littlest one is always under foot..
I have one of them to he leaves the garage door up all day will even leave it open and go to the store I just don't get it either....MEN

Glad kitty is doing well now