I've Discovered the "Purr"-fect Way To Administer Liquid Meds To Your Cat!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'all are probably gonna laugh, but it works!

This morning, when I was trying to give Geronimo his FIP meds, he managed to shut his mouth - just when I was starting to squirt it down his throat, and it got all over the counter. I knew if I let him out of my grasp to refill the syringe, he would take off, and I wouldn't be able to catch him again, and I was kinda in a hurry to give it to him b/c we were expecting company to drop by to visit, and I knew he'd take off when our company was here b/c he always runs and hides whenever someone comes over. So instead of refilling the syringe, I took his paw and rubbed it in the stuff that dribbled onto the counter, b/c I knew that he'd lick it off his paw - we all know how cats can't stand to be "dirty". It worked!
As soon as I let him go, off he went to clean the stuff off his paw! Without realizing it, he ended up getting his dreaded meds after all!

I probably won't give him his meds this way on a regular basis, but from now on, if I have any problems trying to get it down his throat, I'll do whatever it takes to accomplish the task!
It may not be the "conventional" way of administering liquid meds to a cat, but if it works, what harm can it do?!
At least he got it!!!

KittKatt

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is also simple to just scruff the cat and lift the front legs slightly off the ground. Then the cat usualy has it's mouth slightly open and youcan slip the meds right in. Or else carefully push the syringe into the corner of the mouth. Plus the cat cannot run away, turn its head, or bite you!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

It is also simple to just scruff the cat and lift the front legs slightly off the ground. Then the cat usualy has it's mouth slightly open and youcan slip the meds right in. Or else carefully push the syringe into the corner of the mouth. Plus the cat cannot run away, turn its head, or bite you!
Great idea, when Mittens had upper respatory disease, I received a foot long scratch on my thigh giving her the meds. It took about a month to go away.

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

hah! I just tried this to give Winston his Antibiotic and K-P Sol and it worked like a dream!
So much more easier then a "Cat burrito"!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Thanks for the tip, Jen!
I tried it this morning on Geronimo, and it worked like a charm!

I wasn't intending on using the "rub the paw in the meds" technique on a regular basis, but if all else fails.....

~KK~