Sheba wet food anyone?

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty eats Nutro day (sometimes Max Cat, sometimes Complete) which I feel is very good food for him.

He also gets wet food twice a day. He really prefers a shredded meat with gravy. So far, his favorite is Meow Mix Selects. I like the price of this product, but hate that every one I open smells so fishy (even the "poultry" varieties).

I usually shop at Petsmart so I have been looking for a quality wet food with a similar texture to the MM. ProPlan seems to have some but when I look at the ingredients it is full of by-products -- and it is much more expensive then the MM.

Anyhow, I looked at Sheba and was surprised by the very short and simple list of ingredients. It looks like the texture I am looking for. Is it a good quality food? It wasn't a great price though -- 99 cents for a small container. Just curious if anyone has tried it. I did go to their website and request a sample.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes ... sheba was in my rotation with My Kandie

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought one container of sheba today at petsmart. I also requested a sample from them awhile ago but still haven't received it. I figured I would buy just one, but at a dollar a piece they won't be a normal food I guess. I have to draw the line somewhere!! haha

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually no, it's a good quality treat but look for the AAFCO statement on Sheba. You won't find it because this product is designed for occasional feeding and is not a complete and balanced diet. It's no different than putting some shredded chicken breast on your cat's plate or opening a can of tuna. Nice meaty treat but you're not going to be giving your cat the necessary vitamins, minerals, calcium and whatever is required for complete and balanced nutrition. The by-producty ones at least have the AAFCO statement on them. It's too bad with the recent recall that there isn't as much of a selection as there used to be. The only meat in gravy food I can think of that doesn't have by-products and isn't fishy is Merrick. Without Merrick, if you want to feed a meat in gravy food that meets AAFCO standards you're pretty much limited to the Fancy Feast or Purina Pro-Plan(if you want something a little better than Fancy Feast), or Meow Mix, Friskies types of varieties. That is until the recall passes and they put Nutro Gourmet Classics back on the shelves.

You can feed your cat Sheba once or twice a week and it won't hurt but it can't be a staple diet.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a few other meat in gravy type foods, but they can be hard to find. One is By Nature Organics (http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/prod...ccannedcat.php). It's basically meat and vitamins. There is a brand called Weruva--most of their foods are fish based, but they have one called "Paw Lickin' Chicken" with no fish (http://www.weruva.com/). Wysong has some meat in gravy foods but they are like Sheba in that they aren't complete. They can be supplemented or fed with other foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

There are a few other meat in gravy type foods, but they can be hard to find. One is By Nature Organics (http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/prod...ccannedcat.php). It's basically meat and vitamins. There is a brand called Weruva--most of their foods are fish based, but they have one called "Paw Lickin' Chicken" with no fish (http://www.weruva.com/). Wysong has some meat in gravy foods but they are like Sheba in that they aren't complete. They can be supplemented or fed with other foods.
By organic POUCHES say MADE IN CHINA just an FYI

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was actually thinking more of their cans--are those made in China too? I've only tried both pouches and cans once, but I was considering buying more cans soon.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I was actually thinking more of their cans--are those made in China too? I've only tried both pouches and cans once, but I was considering buying more cans soon.
Cans are made in USA .. and yup my girl will eat ...

Moggiegirl the OP stated the cat also eats dry so complete or not is not a real issue

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bengal girl eats what she ate at her breeder's home: Sheba wet (chicken & duck) and Royal Canin dry, but I also mix in with the RC a blend of Nature's Variety Raw Instinct and Serengeti. It's about a 40/40/20 mix, with the 20 being the Serengeti.

The other two eat Meow Mix wet.

As long as the dry you feed is high quality and you can afford to do so, you can feed Sheba daily.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Cans are made in USA .. and yup my girl will eat ...

Moggiegirl the OP stated the cat also eats dry so complete or not is not a real issue
Sharky, I really don't think it was wrong of me to announce that Sheba is not a complete and balanced diet. It was after all an FYI. Besides one ought to consider the proportion of dry food to wet Sheba being fed. If Sheba is fed as large part of a cat's diet and if it is the only wet food being fed I would definitely be concerned. Shouldn't treats only be about 10-15% of a cat's diet?

I might occasionally feed my cats a plate of cooked chicken for dinner which is not complete and balanced but I wouldn't feed it every day. I know of people who feed canned tuna as a large part of a cats diet and justify it by saying that there is always a bowl of dry food out. For this reason I feel there was absolutely nothing wrong with stating my concern.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, as long as cat eats dry food, giving him sheba even if it's incomplete would not be a big deal. Of course my precious refuse to touch it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

Sharky, I really don't think it was wrong of me to announce that Sheba is not a complete and balanced diet. It was after all an FYI. Besides one ought to consider the proportion of dry food to wet Sheba being fed. If Sheba is fed as large part of a cat's diet and if it is the only wet food being fed I would definitely be concerned. Shouldn't treats only be about 10-15% of a cat's diet?

I might occasionally feed my cats a plate of cooked chicken for dinner which is not complete and balanced but I wouldn't feed it every day. I know of people who feed canned tuna as a large part of a cats diet and justify it by saying that there is always a bowl of dry food out. For this reason I feel there was absolutely nothing wrong with stating my concern.
I wasn't saying there was something wrong ... Just that being complete or not was NOT an issue for the OP since she feeds a complete dry ... I limit treats to 5% but wouldn't consider sheba a treat more of a supplement ... OH and PM me for the complete issue as I was set strait not to long ago , I was trying to balance every meal

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i feed sheba here and there because stoli will ONLY eat cuts and gravy style. Unfortunately that DOES limit us to FF, MM and Friskies....ugh. Can't wait for those Wellness pouches.

skyefire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 adult cats will do not eat wet food. Charlie who is 7 or 8 was an adoption from a local vet and has detal problems, also if we give it to him as a treat, you end up getting a 20lbs cat trying to eat off your plate, on kitchen tables, eating out of pots on the stove, you name it. He loses all manners after a treat of wet food.
Bella will not touch it, I have tried and tried, but no interest, she will not even eat tuna..lol We had a scare with her after getting her spaded, we had a adult cat that we adopted jump her the same night as her surgery and she stopped eating and drink for 2 weeks and I had give her food and water myself, and the only thing I could force into her was infant puree meat, and that was a fight, because she would not eat it.

So I make sure both of them get a good quality dry cat food.

My new little Siamese, I have been feeding Iams kitten dry and a mix of Iams kitten wet and Fancy Feast. So far he is gaining weight well, he is a tiny little bugger.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I wasn't saying there was something wrong ... Just that being complete or not was NOT an issue for the OP since she feeds a complete dry ... I limit treats to 5% but wouldn't consider sheba a treat more of a supplement ... OH and PM me for the complete issue as I was set strait not to long ago , I was trying to balance every meal
So if a cat eats a 50% wet food and 50% dry food and 50% of the diet is not complete and balanced that's ok? Sorry but I just have to disagree with this. What about the calcium to phosphorous ratio and lack of vitamins if they're only making up about 50% of the diet. I really think it's important to consider the proportion of the diet that is not balanced in relation to the proportion of the diet that is balanced.

Anyway if I were to feed Sheba to my cats it would only be an occasional treat.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried it, and my girls loved it.... My girls also love Fancy Feast shredded too....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

So if a cat eats a 50% wet food and 50% dry food and 50% of the diet is not complete and balanced that's ok? Sorry but I just have to disagree with this. What about the calcium to phosphorous ratio and lack of vitamins if they're only making up about 50% of the diet. I really think it's important to consider the proportion of the diet that is not balanced in relation to the proportion of the diet that is balanced.

Anyway if I were to feed Sheba to my cats it would only be an occasional treat.
IT is and I would not do 50/50 but I do a rotation so that is valid "_ thanks for the umm
.... Daily balenancing is not needed as in the wild they dont .... that is why many on a raw diet vary meats in a rotation as some animals have things others dont ... amazingly it is the same to a lesser degree in canned and dry ... micronurtient value change ..

Dry food 100% complete is not allotting for more than 25% canned of any type for FYI for all( read your feeding instructions
... so if you are 50 /50 you may need to read labels a bit more in depth to find out what is in what proportion, note I never did this for 25 yrs so it may be important but having animals who lived to ripe old ages and ate some table food reg I am fairly sure they had no nutritional deficiencies

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've given it to my guys twice, but I had to mash it up first. They both seemed to like it well enough.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

IT is and I would not do 50/50 but I do a rotation so that is valid "_ thanks for the umm
.... Daily balenancing is not needed as in the wild they dont .... that is why many on a raw diet vary meats in a rotation as some animals have things others dont ... amazingly it is the same to a lesser degree in canned and dry ... micronurtient value change ..

Dry food 100% complete is not allotting for more than 25% canned of any type for FYI for all( read your feeding instructions
... so if you are 50 /50 you may need to read labels a bit more in depth to find out what is in what proportion, note I never did this for 25 yrs so it may be important but having animals who lived to ripe old ages and ate some table food reg I am fairly sure they had no nutritional deficiencies
Thanks for explaining this.
I can see how a cat who eats dry food as the major part of the diet and Sheba wet food as 25% or only on a rotating basis would still meet all feline nutritional requirements. I can also relate to my grandparents who fed a base diet of dry food and canned food that meet AAFCO standards and supplemented several times a week with a meal of raw liver, lamb hearts or a plate of chicken. Apparently their cats were well fed and did not suffer nutritional deficiencies and lived to a ripe old age. I just tend to be overly cautious with my cats.