Our cat is terrified of us!

panda6129

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I just adopted a cat. We took her to the vet and she has an ear infection. We were given an ointment for it. She was really good for the vet with getting the medicine in her ears that when we did it I was shocked at how she fought. It took a while but we won and got the medicine in. Now she is so afraid of us that we cant even walk up to her to pet her without having her run away. I dont know what to do. She needs this medicine (Dermalone Ointment) for 5 more days, 2x a day. I dont want her to end up hating us over this. Can anyone help me! I love our Briar so much already and we've had her only 2 weeks. This behavior is so abnormal for her. HELP!!!!!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It is always rough when we have to give our little ones medicine. And you are also in that stage where you are building trust also.

I would suggest maybe keep Briar in a room where she can feel safe. Spend time with her there but don't approach her. Instead sit the floor and just talk to her, read to her, etc. Play with a wand toy. Let her approach you. And have treats when you do this so every time she comes near you there is something good.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes wrapping them in a towel works because once you do get that done it's a lot easier to do what you have to quickly and then let them go. I suggest if possible having the towel on your lap, then getting her on there and casually bringing up the two ends, fast, but not so much that she gets scared of the movement.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are saying whenever you approach her she thinks she will get this medicine.

Assuming she is still young and likes to play, I would engage her with a string on a stick to make friends again. I would do this several times a day. Let her play. This also builds her confidence and makes her forget about her ears and her new home and all the adjustment.

At the end of the play session, be sure and give her a treat.

Also when you do the ear medicine, I agree with the person who said wrap her in a towel.

In addition, a vet told me once that it is very important to stay calm with the cat no matter what, keep your voice low and steady and loving, reassuring; be firm in your grip but never raise your voice or "freak out" as your kitty may be struggling. Also be relaxed, the more drama the kitty senses from you, the more they will be afraid and anticipate something awful.

When I have to put frontline on my one scaredy cat, I try and get her when she is engaged in some other thing and do it very quickly. So maybe if your kitty is looking at something out the window or napping, or during one of her play sessions, one person can be keeping her attention while the other person quickly does the towel and ointment. And then before she has a chance to react, go back to the string on the stick or leave her be. I have found it very effective to swoop in and out while the kitty is otherwise occupied, so it minimizes the whole thing. Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panda6129

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
one question. would it be better for us to just hold off on the medicine for a while until she really warms up to us. We dont want her to never trust her by violating these first few weeks.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by panda6129

one question. would it be better for us to just hold off on the medicine for a while until she really warms up to us. We dont want her to never trust her by violating these first few weeks.
You really need to get her feeling better. Rather, do like BarbB suggested, calmly, and authoritatively. Then provide a treat and/or some play time.