Under so much stress....

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As many of ya'll know I have been under a lot of stress this past month. More than my normal level of stress. And my husband being ever so kind told me to take a day or 2 off and travel and go stay a few days with my mom. Which I feel funny going and staying a few nights at my moms. I don't know I just feel weird about staying the night over there. I have not slept at my moms in over 10 yrs like since I was barely 17 yrs old so that just feels weird. But I did tell him I would make the trip down there either Tuesday or Wednesday after my little one goes off to school and spend the day down there. My mom said I could just lounge in the pool or whatever. Ya know being a mom type thing just drive down I don't care type deal.

But I need to think long term though. I have no high school diploma and one day I would like to go back to work. But I would hate to have to work at a convience store just so I have a job (btw nothing wrong with working there I just don't wanna do that). So forever now I have been talking about going back to school and getting a GED. We have a tech. school here who offers those classes. And if I go to the orientation then I can get a cd program and study at home for the test instead of driving into town a few days a week for classes. So considering my little one is gone for 2 hrs a day right now I should really do this. Then next year I can try for finical(bad spelling) aid or something and take some classes. Maybe going into nursing or something. I mean a nursing degree can open a lot of doors. Or maybe take some business classes. Or something to better my life.

Anyways I guess all this rambling is just me saying out loud what some of my goals are. And hopefully I can follow through with them.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sending you lots of support for whatever you decide to do. I think breaking it into small goals will help you reach a bigger one. And I always applaud anyone who decides to make herself better

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a great idea! Start with one goal...getting your GED. If you can do most of the work on the computer that is even better! After that, think about what you want to do. Anything in the health field should be good, but you keep in mind that is a lot of time away from home, especially towards the end when you have to work in the hospitals full time with no pay (this is what I've heard, I'm not in the health care field but know people who are). I'm NOT trying to discourage you at all from that and by the time you get to that part your little one may be in school full time. I'm not sure.

I DO know, a friend of mine went into respitory therapy, it was 2 yrs regular school then 2 yrs respitory (I know I spell it wrong) therapy and he is making incredible money!

See if there is a way you can take college courses online. Whatever you decide to do I think it's great!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, with your little one going back to school, now would be a perfect time, even to start off with one class. I'm finding that the older I get, the more serious I am about my school work. In high school I could care less...my bachelor's I didn't care until the last 2 years. Now? I'm overly attentive and want to do my best.

There is so much you can do out there that its unreal. Good luck with your decision.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's fantastic that you want to do this! And it shouldn't take long to get your GED, I'd imagine.

College would be wonderful too, but you wouldn't want too big a classload, since you have a family. Maybe you should investigate potential careers in some depth, to figure out what really inspires you, what you really want to do... and then you can determine exactly what courses you want, or whether a non-degree program or a technical school might put you into the job you want sooner.

No matter what field you choose to go into, though, one skill that will give you a huge advantage is the ability to communicate well. If you're articulate and personable, if you write and speak well -- that will take you a long, long way.

Good luck!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of good luck vibes!
Also when you decide on a college ask about child care, a lot of colleges offer free/very affordable day care for students, so if you did have to take some classes when you couldnt find somewhere for your little one, it might be an option!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is wise of you...get your ged, start thinking about where you want to go. I can say that even though I've been out of nursing for almost 12 years now, it was darned good money with good health insurance but re hospital nursing, until you have seniority expect to really get jacked around re schedules, holidays etc.

I found peace in working a 12 hour night shift - far fewer docs around, more autonomy and a cool night shift group of folks

3 to 11 pm is another shift that I enjoyed, days was my least favorite..but each person has their own favorite re what works best for them.

I don't quite get the comment someone made about having to work full time in the hospitals for no pay (???)...we had a union and I truly was making good money at 13+ years in, most at the same hospital. Enough to buy a house on my own etc.

If possible, see if there is a career counseling service in your area - they can do testing that shows areas of interest and apptitude and set up meetings with folks in various careers to let you interview/speak with them to see if you'd be interested in their field.

best wishes to you

ps I had already gotten my BA when I later decided to become an RN. I went to a 2 year college program so that I would have my associates degree in nursing and be able to take my RN boards, and took my LPN boards while still in school - wanting to be sure I'd have a career in case I didn't pass my RN boards.
Worked at a local nursing home to pay for college, worked out pretty well for me, and would be an option for you to get some experience in health care under your belt while in school.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just talking to hubby and he says he sees more more doing something with animals. Which I can see that as well. So just because I am keeping my options open at this point are there any online accredited vet tech programs.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on wanting to go back to school! It's a daunting, but wise decision!

I agree that something with animals would be great.

Do be careful about online or "distance" or "correspondence" courses. They are pretty much self learning courses and you have to be highly motivated to complete it because it's so easy to procrastinate and put off doing the course work.

Personally I don't do well with online or correspondence courses because I'm not disciplined enough to motivate myself to do the course work and study on my own. I find that for me I need to attend classes on set days and have deadlines for projects and exams etc.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I am gonna do is call my vet and the local vet and find out what you have to do in this state to be a vet tech.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

What I am gonna do is call my vet and the local vet and find out what you have to do in this state to be a vet tech.
I think that would be good advice to get, but do check out the site I gave you..it lists what schools have programs, state by state and much more. It is an official site by the avma and the information you can quickly find there, will be accurate.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I don't quite get the comment someone made about having to work full time in the hospitals for no pay (???)...we had a union and I truly was making good money at 13+ years in, most at the same hospital. Enough to buy a house on my own etc.
What I was referring to is the internship nursing students have to do before they actually get their degree. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear (my fingers often type faster than my mind works sometimes). I just know a few girls that are doing that now, plus trying to work full time and it's a harsh schedule.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear (my fingers often type faster than my mind works sometimes).
Lol...I do that all too often myself

I am sure nursing school has changed some since I attended, but was fortunate that it didn't cause too much of an issue for me with my work schedule. I also remember I managed to get two Labor and Delivery rotations and to skip Psch, which as I knew I wanted to only work in l&d worked out well for me

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pat I looked at that site after I posted about online programs. The two actually schools anywhere near me (but still quite a drive either way) is in statesboro Ga or St. Petersburg Fl. The one in Gainsville I can do distance or online if I work in conjuction with a local vet in my area and take certain classes locally. Here is what it said (this is the one in St. Petersburg):

must have completed 18 of the 22 credits of general education & support courses, including all communications, math and biology courses, be computer literate, and must be working at least 20 hours per week for a veterinary hospital or veterinarian in order to be able to fulfill the Lab Requirement portions of the classes.
http://www.spcollege.edu/hec/vt/distance_learner.htm

I know that at my vet we just had a girl that graduate a vet tech course and she worked in conjuction with that vet. So thats why I think calling them would be a good first step.

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RI the littlest stop on the map..........
With all that has been going on with you I think it's wonderful that your looking ahead . First step would be a GED I believe your local High School will offer the GED program. Many years ago I decided to attend college they didn't have on line programs then
anyway after being out of school for so long you can imagine what was running in my head I have to tell you I was so glad that I went I started out with 2 classes I found out there were all ages attending made some good friend and had study buddies thats what we use to call them the professors were great always there to help I'm saying this to you so if you can you should really attend a class room setting since you have been out of school for awhile. I don't have anything against on line programs what ever work for you .

Someone mentioned to be careful about the type of on line program you take but the point was make that you have to be motivated I feel it might be easy to say ok PC program I'm not into today and walk away but if you attend a school there are people there that can help and work together with you . Wow I was just going to post go for it start with you GED and good luck and be proud of yourself for taking the first step. I guess I got carried away . Wishing you the best

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Pat I looked at that site after I posted about online programs.
The one in Gainsville I can do distance or online if I work in conjuction with a local vet in my area and take certain classes locally.

I know that at my vet we just had a girl that graduate a vet tech course and she worked in conjuction with that vet. So thats why I think calling them would be a good first step.
Sorry, I couldn't tell
Excellent..I am so glad you have this as an option.

Of course