Cat People

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted this on my own message board this morning and, then, decided that I would post it here as well. It would be interesting to hear some of your stories, as well.

I thought it would be interesting for all of us to tell our story of how we became cat people. Some start out loving kittens and always knew their path in life, others hate them and wouldn't want to be around them. Then, there are then nueatrals. These are the ones that laugh at cat jokes politely, but not a hearty deep laugh - just a chuckle here and there.

Some will get scared of a cat and won't get near one. They try to be polite, but would rather stick with a dog, horse, Rabbit, or no animal at all.

Cats envoke strong emotions in humans. You don't ever hear somoene say, unsless they are a TRUE cat person. "I need to get a kitten THIS WEEK. I am not living my live without a cat any longer" This is proably the first big test on if you are a cat person, but only brings you up to about a 75% on a true test There is more to it. I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of questions that can help you decide if you are a true cat person. Just answer the questions befow. I then thought that we should share the moment we found out that WE were indeed a cat person. My story is right after the questions.

1. Will you tolorate being wakended in the middle of the night because your cat believes that he wants you to open the Kitchen for some can food as a midnight snack?

2. How will you feel about your cat when you are all alone and he sees something in the hallway? This is right after a scary movie and you have already warned your cat not to do this.

3. Does every cat you see have some special characteristic that interests you (tail, ears, coat, etc...)

4. Do you know exactly what your cat is stating when he talks?

5. DO you know when your cat feeks personally offended by something you may or may not have done?

6. What immediate feelings do you have when finding not one, but 2 piles of vomit on your new living rooom couch.

7. Do you wonder what your cat is doing while you are not at home?

8. Have you ever been slightly offended that your cat has not learned to call you to check in when you are at work.

9. Do you think your cat likes the same TV programs that you like to watch?

10. Do you secretely believe that all your friends would love to have more cats if they could?

11. Should everyone own more than one cat?

12.. You never saw a coat color or type that you didn't like?

13. If you have 12 cats in your home and a tiny 5 week old orphaned kitten is on your doorstep, does the thought of even trying to find it another home cross your mind?

14. Do you wash your cat's bedding more than your own?

15. Do you buy Christmas presents for you cats? How far in advance do you do this?

16. Do you adjust the temperature in your home to what you think the cats will be comfortable in, even if it makes you miserable?

17. Are there more than 5 pieces of cat art in your house?

18. Did you take as long to name one of your cats as you did your child?

19. If looking for a home, do you check out the house first for cat pleasure and second if you can live there?

20. Do you find yourself on a Saturday morning trying to think of things to do with your cats, instead of having a day away from the house.

So, those are the questions. Next, I think we should all tell how we became these "Crazy Cat Ladies" We all know that even if you are a guy, the term "Crazy Cat lady" sticks on us, as well. LOL

So, here is my story. I grew up LOVING dogs. I had 2 or 3 dogs at all times. In fact, I had everything else to go along with them. Fish, birds, rabbits, Guinne Pigs, turtles, etc.,. My parents lived in fear of what I was going to bring home next - an injured bird, a snake, anything that was alive, and would let me, I would bring home. However, it was NEVER a cat. Had no desire to have a cat even outside. Not sure why...

I started showing Giant Schnauzers when I was 14 years old. Got heavy into that. My close cousin had the top Giant's in the country and she mentored me. Won lots of championships and by the time I was 20, I had one go Best in Group at Westminster. I loved it. Got into breeding them and that was my live for years. I was identified as the "dog person"

When I was in my mid-twenties, I moved from Louisiana to Lubbock, Texas. (that culture shock is a whole other email). WHen I was there, though, I rented an old two story house with a couple of my friends. One night I heard a screaming on the front porch. I ran to the door and found a very bloody Siamese kitten that had torn into the screen and was between the front door and the screen for safetly. It was apparently a dog attack, but the dog was long gone. I rushed the cat to the Vet. He stated that she shouldn't live and wanted to put her to sleep. I said "NO" and I would do what was necessary to get her well. After 2 surgeries on this 7 week (age is a guess) and a tube for drainage coming out of her head, she definitely had a little brain damage. She walked crooked and held her head to the side. Her balance was way off. I took my time and introduced her to all the Giant Schnauzers (had 3 living with me at that time). Hero, my oldest, took her under his wing. They LOVED each other. He would snuggle her up in his big long beard and she would purr away. Never did you see one without the other. When I moved back to New Orleans, Whoppie (that was her name) came right along with us. One day she got out the back door and was running under the house. The houses there are off the ground and you can go under them. THen, I heard a Booooiiiiig while trying to spot her. She had run into one of the low hanging pipes. Another trip to the Vet later and another tube for drainage in the head, and we were set. Whoopie lived to be 12 years old, which is remarkable with all she had been through. It was THAT day that I decided that I would never be without a cat again.

The dog showing slowed, as my career didn't allow me to travel and have as much time at home to raise puppies. Plus, space allowances were a problem. Raising dogs is a bigger job than cats, I don't care what anyone thinks. Especially large dogs.

This is when I went out and purchased my first real show quality Siamese. Two weeks later, I had another one. Sierra and Oshae were best of buds. I had permission and arrangements to breed them once with kittens split between me and the original breeder. My life had begun.

Later on, I became infatuated with the Sphynx. I got two of those at that time, but then reading all the Russian news on this new Peterbald, I knew that this married the perfect qualities I wanted in a cat. I became a breeder years ago. Fanya, the first Peterbald in the U.S., was my foundation queen. Now, I think I am close to the longest continuous breeder in the country. I love the PD and, now the Bramble. Couldn't even think of how it would be without them. All during this time, I help save feral cats that show up in my barn down on my property or just roam up to my house. I love all animals, but cats will always have a special place in my heart.

So, that is how I became a CRAZY CAT LADY (that is actually a guy!)

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Will you tolerate being awakened in the middle of the night because your cat believes that he wants you to open the Kitchen for some can food as a midnight snack? Yes

2. How will you feel about your cat when you are all alone and he sees something in the hallway? This is right after a scary movie and you have already warned your cat not to do this. I still love them
I know they are not trying to annoy me.

3. Does every cat you see have some special characteristic that interests you (tail, ears, coat, etc...) Yes

4. Do you know exactly what your cat is stating when he talks? 80% of the time.

5. DO you know when your cat feels personally offended by something you may or may not have done? Yes

6. What immediate feelings do you have when finding not one, but 2 piles of vomit on your new living room couch. Panic then I look for the sick cat and determine whether s/he needs to go to the vet or not.

7. Do you wonder what your cat is doing while you are not at home? Yes, but I already know that they are thrashing the house.

8. Have you ever been slightly offended that your cat has not learned to call you to check in when you are at work. No, I work from home

9. Do you think your cat likes the same TV programs that you like to watch? No, definitely not - they do NOT like what I like - which is a real pain actually.

10. Do you secretly believe that all your friends would love to have more cats if they could? Not really, but I believe that all people are cat lovers and don't know it until they meet the right cat.

11. Should everyone own more than one cat? Yes!

12.. You never saw a coat color or type that you didn't like? Yes, but I would never turn a cat away.

13. If you have 12 cats in your home and a tiny 5 week old orphaned kitten is on your doorstep, does the thought of even trying to find it another home cross your mind? Yes, after bringing them up to health and neutering - never happens though...they all end up living at home, this is why I have 19 cats in the house!

14. Do you wash your cat's bedding more than your own? Yes

15. Do you buy Christmas presents for you cats? How far in advance do you do this? No, but they get more presents then I do every week.

16. Do you adjust the temperature in your home to what you think the cats will be comfortable in, even if it makes you miserable? Yes

17. Are there more than 5 pieces of cat art in your house? No, I don't really collect anything but the cats themselves!

18. Did you take as long to name one of your cats as you did your child? I have a list - but the cats name themselves.

19. If looking for a home, do you check out the house first for cat pleasure and second if you can live there? Never had the need to move homes.

20. Do you find yourself on a Saturday morning trying to think of things to do with your cats, instead of having a day away from the house. Yes

I started a thread recently on "How I became a breeder" - check it out, my story is there.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Magnoliachat

I thought it would be interesting for all of us to tell our story of how we became cat people.
.:
I am still a dog person
Always will be. However I also like cats. I went to look at a litter with my best friend then the rest is history with me and cats. I currently share my life with a Sphynx, my favorite cat - she is just a once in a lifetime kitty, my favorite breed as well.

1. Will you tolorate being wakended in the middle of the night because your cat believes that he wants you to open the Kitchen for some can food as a midnight snack?

2. How will you feel about your cat when you are all alone and he sees something in the hallway? This is right after a scary movie and you have already warned your cat not to do this.

3. Does every cat you see have some special characteristic that interests you (tail, ears, coat, etc...)

5. DO you know when your cat feeks personally offended by something you may or may not have done?
.:
1.Yes.
2. Wouldn't bother me.
3. Most are pretty unique.
4. Yes.
5. Yes

6. What immediate feelings do you have when finding not one, but 2 piles of vomit on your new living rooom couch.

8. Have you ever been slightly offended that your cat has not learned to call you to check in when you are at work.

10. Do you secretely believe that all your friends would love to have more cats if they could?
.:
6. I would worry, is a vet visit in order? What did I feed her, did she accidently get into anything. Is she eating/drinking/acting like her normal self?
7. Yes
8.No
9. Never really thought about it, she ignores the TV most of the time
10. No

13. If you have 12 cats in your home and a tiny 5 week old orphaned kitten is on your doorstep, does the thought of even trying to find it another home cross your mind?

15. Do you buy Christmas presents for you cats? How far in advance do you do this?

.:
11. No, some people shouldn't even have 1! Depends on each individual
12. No
13. Yes
14. No, about the same
15. Yes, not only that but I buy Christmas presents for my relative's cats too, this is a normal thing in my extended family

16. Do you adjust the temperature in your home to what you think the cats will be comfortable in, even if it makes you miserable?

19. If looking for a home, do you check out the house first for cat pleasure and second if you can live there?
.:
16. Sometimes. I also keep heating beds, cover vents, around and certain blinds up, that I would rather not, but it makes her happy you know.
17. No
18. Never had children
19. She has her own room, does that count?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Will you tolorate being wakended in the middle of the night because your cat believes that he wants you to open the Kitchen for some can food as a midnight snack? I'm lucky, If I'm awake in the kitchen in the middle of the night, I'm all alone,,,the cats are sound asleep

2. How will you feel about your cat when you are all alone and he sees something in the hallway? This is right after a scary movie and you have already warned your cat not to do this. I'd probably tell the cat to take care of the situation and get back to me when he's done.

3. Does every cat you see have some special characteristic that interests you (tail, ears, coat, etc...) Not every cat, but I can appreciate the beauty of most cats.

4. Do you know exactly what your cat is stating when he talks? No, sometimes my bengals are incoherant and seem to be speaking jibberish, but it's ok they make it abundantly clear when I'm failing them somehow.

5. DO you know when your cat feels personally offended by something you may or may not have done? Uh...yeah

6. What immediate feelings do you have when finding not one, but 2 piles of vomit on your new living rooom couch. Mild annoyance followed by looking around to find the cat who's not feeling well and being concerned why.

7. Do you wonder what your cat is doing while you are not at home? No, my wife Teri, is home and reports all relevant news via cell phone.

8. Have you ever been slightly offended that your cat has not learned to call you to check in when you are at work. Actually I'm thankful they have not learned to call me at work........yet!

9. Do you think your cat likes the same TV programs that you like to watch? Yes, I love animal planet and so do they!

10. Do you secretely believe that all your friends would love to have more cats if they could? Absolutely!

11. Should everyone own more than one cat? Why would anyone be satisfied with just one cat?!?

12.. You never saw a coat color or type that you didn't like? Hmmmm, well, I have seen some that didn't appeal to me, but it's the sweet cat underneath the coat that counts.

13. If you have 12 cats in your home and a tiny 5 week old orphaned kitten is on your doorstep, does the thought of even trying to find it another home cross your mind? LOL, what crosses my mind, is how do I hide this kitten before my wife sees it, because once she does it's game over and the kitten is staying.

14. Do you wash your cat's bedding more than your own? Seems like it.

15. Do you buy Christmas presents for you cats? How far in advance do you do this? It's Christmas for our cats after every cat show, so they have Christmas like 14 times a year.

16. Do you adjust the temperature in your home to what you think the cats will be comfortable in, even if it makes you miserable? Bengals seem to be hot natured, so I get along with their desire to be cool very well. We all love the A/C!

17. Are there more than 5 pieces of cat art in your house? Yes, but not on purpose, most of them are gifts from friends and family.

18. Did you take as long to name one of your cats as you did your child? Guilty

19. If looking for a home, do you check out the house first for cat pleasure and second if you can live there? ROFL....yes indeed

20. Do you find yourself on a Saturday morning trying to think of things to do with your cats, instead of having a day away from the house. Yes, that happens often, but we try to maintain a balance, so we appear less crazy than we are.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'm more of an animal person as I love a wide variety of pets. But would always have at least one cat in the house
I seem to have the best communication with cats.

murlynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1. Will you tolorate being wakended in the middle of the night because your cat believes that he wants you to open the Kitchen for some can food as a midnight snack? I do this every night!

2. How will you feel about your cat when you are all alone and he sees something in the hallway? This is right after a scary movie and you have already warned your cat not to do this. Happens all the time - just grab them and go cuddle in the bed!

3. Does every cat you see have some special characteristic that interests you (tail, ears, coat, etc...) Yes!

4. Do you know exactly what your cat is stating when he talks? Pretty much

5. DO you know when your cat feeks personally offended by something you may or may not have done? Oh, yeah!

6. What immediate feelings do you have when finding not one, but 2 piles of vomit on your new living rooom couch. Big sigh and then clean it up

7. Do you wonder what your cat is doing while you are not at home? I am pretty sure I don't want to know!

8. Have you ever been slightly offended that your cat has not learned to call you to check in when you are at work. yes.......

9. Do you think your cat likes the same TV programs that you like to watch? Sometimes

10. Do you secretely believe that all your friends would love to have more cats if they could? Most of them

11. Should everyone own more than one cat? Yes!!!!!!

12.. You never saw a coat color or type that you didn't like? No - there's always something about a cat that I can appreciate

13. If you have 12 cats in your home and a tiny 5 week old orphaned kitten is on your doorstep, does the thought of even trying to find it another home cross your mind? No - that's why I have 14 right now!

14. Do you wash your cat's bedding more than your own? Yes!

15. Do you buy Christmas presents for you cats? How far in advance do you do this? Yes - I start in November

16. Do you adjust the temperature in your home to what you think the cats will be comfortable in, even if it makes you miserable? Not so much that I am miserable, but I make sure they will be comfortable when I am gone.

17. Are there more than 5 pieces of cat art in your house? Of course!

18. Did you take as long to name one of your cats as you did your child? sometimes longer - you have to find the right name for the personality

19. If looking for a home, do you check out the house first for cat pleasure and second if you can live there? Yes

20. Do you find yourself on a Saturday morning trying to think of things to do with your cats, instead of having a day away from the house. No - they pretty much entertain themselves (there are enough of them!)

I have always had and loved cats - from the time that I was born. I seems to "attract them". When we drive down the road and see a cat, my husband says "Quick - get away before it figures out where we live!". I have always had several cats in the house - currently 6 indoor and 8 former ferals in the barn. I finally live on a small farm with a warm barn next to a junk yard - you can imagine! I have all the ones currently living in the barn fixed and tamed. I also feed the ferals still in the junk yard - I don't see them too much in the summer but in the winter, I usually get 2 or 3 to stay and let me touch them. If I can touch them, I can trap them! And if I get them trapped, they get TNR'd! My husband has pretty much given up! The ones in the house are as follows: Spot - 19 yrs, Dusty, Bugsy and Kitty - 18 years, Stubby - 10 years and Charmin - 9 years. The outdoor ones are Buddie - about 3, TK - about 2, Gary, Smokey and Kissy - 1 and 3 little black 4 month olds that I can barely tell apart - Baby, Bucky and Number Five (ran out of names!). All but Bucky have been fixed - and his appointment is tomorrow! It's hard to keep the ones in the barn - I lose some of them. I lost a little 2 month old feral a couple of days ago - I don't know what happened to him. I call him and hope he will return - but they never do! At least he knew that he was loved and taken care of. I work with a cat rescue called Warm Fuzzys - visit their web site sometime - Joyce is a wonderful person to take in the little fur babies! I keep looking for new ones to take care of - my daughter worries that I am a Crazy Old Cat Lady - I know I am!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes but I leave food out at night since she wanted them many times a night

Just fine I lived thru a GSD that was all black and afraid of storms

yes there eyes and ears

Kandie I did ... Zoey I am still learning

not anymore ... she is semi feral

Is Zoey okay and where is the vets number

No my dog tattles on her

I work from home mostly

Yes

lol... no but I sure would
Yes

no that just makes a bakers dozen... thou I ask if I have KMR
yes but she is messy
yes whenever I see a kewl toy

yes she is a tropical kitty

yes

Yes no skin kids

I would check if the windows were the right ht

20. Do you find yourself on a Saturday morning trying to think of things to do with your cats, instead of having a day away from the house.

lol/// I help other kitties on the weekend s...

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GOD, I LOVED cats since I could say the word cat. When I was 6 my mom got a phone call from the teacher saying “tell your daughter to stop pretending she is a cat, and licking from puddles†the pretending I was a cat thing went on throughout my whole childhood. And when I was a child I had a kitten, and my mom took it away from me because of allergies... my fingers were all bloody. And I remember being so mad, I wanted to cut them off. And then I could have a cat.

When I was a teen 16 i got my first cat, my mom let me have... she was a rescue. And that is the only reason my mom let us have it, because she too has a big heart. I continued to take in rescues later on.. so that continued. I take allergies meds everyday... and I have really strong ones for when the daily ones donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t work. But my whole childhood was spent in the library reading cat books, learning about nearly every breed. And I decided that no matter what it cost I was going to buy a purebred Turkish angora or Turkish van†at the age of 12 I made this choice today I have one of each, and I think its funny that I fell in love with this cat so young, and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m staying in love it for life. I fell in love with the Turkish angora first, because it wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t a LONG hair, and it wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t a SHORT hair, but medium which I thought was beautiful and elegant, as the hair laid flat against the body, and the tail looked like a feather. and they had 2 different color eyes. And the van I liked because it was similar, and the “swimming cat†they just sounded like the best cats in the world... and today, I still think so. I think everyone should love this cat. Lol taken in alot of rescues, and mixed breeds which have all lived very long lives... but this breed is so loving, its really just like a cuddly puppy.

but yeah, I would say I was obsessed with cats... not just kittens... and I guess that is why I became a member of this board.

But if I were to answer all you questions, I think my post would be a bit long...

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Will you tolorate being wakended in the middle of the night because your cat believes that he wants you to open the Kitchen for some can food as a midnight snack? I'm up at midnight anyway

2. How will you feel about your cat when you are all alone and he sees something in the hallway? I'll feel just fine.

3. Does every cat you see have some special characteristic that interests you (tail, ears, coat, etc...) Horatio has amazing eyes & I love his orange & white, Yuki is BUNNY SOFT, & I love how Max has white on his nose, it looks like he dipped his nose in cream

4. Do you know exactly what your cat is stating when he talks? Always

5. DO you know when your cat feels personally offended by something you may or may not have done? oh they let me know when I've been bad

6. What immediate feelings do you have when finding not one, but 2 piles of vomit on your new living rooom couch. I feel concerned

7. Do you wonder what your cat is doing while you are not at home? not really

8. Have you ever been slightly offended that your cat has not learned to call you to check in when you are at work. I'm a stay at home mom

9. Do you think your cat likes the same TV programs that you like to watch? Yuki LOVES to watch the same shows at me

10. Do you secretely believe that all your friends would love to have more cats if they could? nope, I only have 3 cats and my friends & family think I'm nuts... even tho I say there is a forum full of people with WAY more

11. Should everyone own more than one cat? YES!

12.. You never saw a coat color or type that you didn't like? Nope

13. If you have 12 cats in your home and a tiny 5 week old orphaned kitten is on your doorstep, does the thought of even trying to find it another home cross your mind? Not even for a second.

14. Do you wash your cat's bedding more than your own? Probably about the same

15. Do you buy Christmas presents for you cats? How far in advance do you do this? Haven't had Christmas with the Cats Yet.

16. Do you adjust the temperature in your home to what you think the cats will be comfortable in, even if it makes you miserable? We are all in our comfort zone

17. Are there more than 5 pieces of cat art in your house? nope

18. Did you take as long to name one of your cats as you did your child? No

19. If looking for a home, do you check out the house first for cat pleasure and second if you can live there? hmm... Good idea, we are looking for a new house.

20. Do you find yourself on a Saturday morning trying to think of things to do with your cats, instead of having a day away from the house. We're usually home anyway.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Will you tolorate being wakended in the middle of the night because your cat believes that he wants you to open the Kitchen for some can food as a midnight snack? Yes, but I don't give in! My 2 would learn instantly from the experience and do it every night. As it is I am quite lucky and they both sleep til late

2. How will you feel about your cat when you are all alone and he sees something in the hallway? This is right after a scary movie and you have already warned your cat not to do this. I do wish they wouldn't do that staring into space thing, I am easily spooked!

3. Does every cat you see have some special characteristic that interests you (tail, ears, coat, etc...) Not especially that I've noticed, I do like some features on a cat more than others and I have a soft spot for really big ears. Having said that I do notice every single cat I see!

4. Do you know exactly what your cat is stating when he talks? A lot of the time yes, Radar doesn't say much but Sonic will let me know the minute something isn't exactly how he wants it!

5. DO you know when your cat feels personally offended by something you may or may not have done? Yes. And Radar bears grudges too, he wouldn't sit on me for a month after I had to treat a spot on his chin

6. What immediate feelings do you have when finding not one, but 2 piles of vomit on your new living rooom couch. Worry

7. Do you wonder what your cat is doing while you are not at home? Constantly, although I know they mostly sleep and wrestle

8. Have you ever been slightly offended that your cat has not learned to call you to check in when you are at work. No, Sonic would call 20 times a day to complain that something wasn't 'just so'

9. Do you think your cat likes the same TV programs that you like to watch? They both seem to enjoy survivor. I think it's the little in between shots of birds/lizards/rats/monkeys etc

10. Do you secretely believe that all your friends would love to have more cats if they could? No, most of the people I know aren't really into cats that much.

11. Should everyone own more than one cat? No, some people don't live up to the responsibilities that caring for an animal requires

12.. You never saw a coat color or type that you didn't like? I do like some more than others

13. If you have 12 cats in your home and a tiny 5 week old orphaned kitten is on your doorstep, does the thought of even trying to find it another home cross your mind? Depends on whether I could give it the best home and everything it needs

14. Do you wash your cat's bedding more than your own? My bedding is their bedding. Sonic sleeps in bed with us and Radar has a duvet on the sofa

15. Do you buy Christmas presents for you cats? How far in advance do you do this? They often get presents, but we don't really do Christmas

16. Do you adjust the temperature in your home to what you think the cats will be comfortable in, even if it makes you miserable? I wish I could, my flat is like an oven. I do all I can to keep it bearable

17. Are there more than 5 pieces of cat art in your house? No, I'm not really into that. I have a Maneki Neko, and a carved wooden cat, but that's it. Radar is really into destroying anything ornamental!

18. Did you take as long to name one of your cats as you did your child? Don't have children, in all honesty I prefer animals. No offense intended by that

19. If looking for a home, do you check out the house first for cat pleasure and second if you can live there? I haven't moved since I've had cats, but yes of course that would be a factor. Part of the decision to live here was that it's near to one of the only 3 avian vets in London for my Parrot, and I would give the cats just as much consideration should I move again

20. Do you find yourself on a Saturday morning trying to think of things to do with your cats, instead of having a day away from the house. Yes

I've not had cats for very long, just over a year now! I didn't really want one, but we had lost our budgie to a mouse attack believe it or not, and we knew that just the smell of a cat in the house would reduce the infestation. So I finally gave in to Nate's argument that we should get a cat.

The first week with Radar I spent in tears being absolutely terrorised by him and thinking we'd made an awful mistake. By the end of week two I was completely in love with him (although he still terrorises me daily!)

We got Sonic primarily as a playmate for Radar, so I carefully researched which breeds would have a similar energy level, and I fell in love with the Oriental Shorthair when I saw them at a cat show.

I would like to have cats now for the rest of my life, although if doing it again I would get 2 kittens at the same time - I made a mistake by not doing that this time round and it took a long time before I was comfortable with leaving the boys together unattended, and I still check them over for scratches when I get home as they do play very rough and are still undecided as to who is boss.

If I had the time and resources I would seriously consider showing and breeding, but I do need to get my finances on a more stable footing before even thinking about that sort of committment, as even attending shows regularly would be difficult right now. I studied genetics for a while and I find it absolutely fascinating, which is why I'm always hanging around Breeder's Corner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey! Thanks for all the replies everyone! It was great reading this. Loved some of the humor, as well.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Magnoliachat;1925035 said:
1. Will you tolorate being wakended in the middle of the night because your cat believes that he wants you to open the Kitchen for some can food as a midnight snack? Yes

2. How will you feel about your cat when you are all alone and he sees something in the hallway? This is right after a scary movie and you have already warned your cat not to do this. I get freaked but not upset at the cat. I usually end up chuckling about it
Two of my cats will growl when they hear my husband down stairs getting ready to come up.

3. Does every cat you see have some special characteristic that interests you (tail, ears, coat, etc...) YES!

4. Do you know exactly what your cat is stating when he talks? I would say 90% of the time. My boys come to me and ask what is the cat saying now?

5. DO you know when your cat feeks personally offended by something you may or may not have done? Yes

6. What immediate feelings do you have when finding not one, but 2 piles of vomit on your new living rooom couch. I would be really concerned as to which cat it was and if they were sick

7. Do you wonder what your cat is doing while you are not at home? No, cause I usually find a pile of cat toys in the Family room which means that they were bringing toy after toy hoping to find someone in the house to praise them

Had not thought of that

9. Do you think your cat likes the same TV programs that you like to watch? nope, they pay no attention.

10. Do you secretely believe that all your friends would love to have more cats if they could?Depends on what friend. Some , yes but some , no.

11. Should everyone own more than one cat? I think so

12.. You never saw a coat color or type that you didn't like?Yes. I love each cat I see.

13. If you have 12 cats in your home and a tiny 5 week old orphaned kitten is on your doorstep, does the thought of even trying to find it another home cross your mind?Yes

14. Do you wash your cat's bedding more than your own?what do you mean? My bedding IS their bedding

15. Do you buy Christmas presents for you cats? How far in advance do you do this?Yes we do. Usually a couple weeks before

16. Do you adjust the temperature in your home to what you think the cats will be comfortable in, even if it makes you miserable?No...they seem to like the temp that I do

17. Are there more than 5 pieces of cat art in your house?Actually, no. The cats are like art with them laying all over the place

18. Did you take as long to name one of your cats as you did your child?Almost

19. If looking for a home, do you check out the house first for cat pleasure and second if you can live there?No

20. Do you find yourself on a Saturday morning trying to think of things to do with your cats, instead of having a day away from the house.Some times

I was a cat lover from the moment I was born. My dad is not a huge animal person. It took me to the age of 4 to beg him enough for a kitten ( I think I started from the moment I could talk). A year later I (and my mom) begged to take in a stray. I have just always loved cats. The love just keeps getting strong and stronger as years have gone by.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

The first week with Radar I spent in tears being absolutely terrorised by him and thinking we'd made an awful mistake. By the end of week two I was completely in love with him (although he still terrorises me daily!)

We got Sonic primarily as a playmate for Radar, so I carefully researched which breeds would have a similar energy level, and I fell in love with the Oriental Shorthair when I saw them at a cat show.
What type of kitty is Radar? Is he not an OSH? And that picture of him in yor sig makes him look like he's got red in his fur, like a calico!
In fact, I was thinking he was a she for a sec!!