Dead colon in cat

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unexpectedly we lost 1 of our cats (indoors only and neutered). Marbles was not 2 yet and seemed to have good health and always had tons of energy. A month ago he had a urinary tract infection but we got that cleared up. A week ago he started yowling horribly and then threw-up ,then yowled horribly in the litter box and had some mucous diarrhea. We took him to the emergency vet and they did blood work on him. All the test showed was that he was dehydrated. Everything else looked fine except for an elevated glucose level. They kept him over night and for the next two days he went back and forth from day vet to night vet. He kept only having mucous,no smell bowl movements and not eating.They did tons of x-rays and from all they could tell, there seemed to be an obstruction in his intestines. We kept getting told it would be fine. Finally on Friday at 1 am they opened him to remove the "obstruction" only to find his colon was 90% dead and no obstruction. He had to be put to sleep. We did not get to say good-bye and thought he would be fine and recover. His sister, Snickers, is mourning. She is now not really eating. She has been throwing up as well and we are freaked that she is now having the same problem. We don't know what to do. We miss Marbles SO much and don't want to lose another cat. Any info. that anyone has would be a huge help! Thank you in advance.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry! Did the vets have any idea why the colon died?

Medically there are a number of reasons, a twist that causes a strangulation, a blockage, a stricture, and sometimes a blood clot that blocks blood flow.

Considering how young Marbles was did the vet think there may have been some type of genetic defect? Also, was there any fever? With a necrotic bowel I would think Marbles would have had a very high fever because of the massive infection that goes along with it.

I can understand why you are concerned about Snickers. It very well could be stress, cats really do grieve over lost buddies. Plus, cats sometimes do get vomiting sprees. I just had a kitty that got acid reflux of all things and started vomiting several times a day. So the stress of not eating might be causing Snickers' stomach to be very acidic and then she is getting reflux that is causing the vomiting.

This is just an alternate scenario, so you know that there are lots of other things that could be causing these symptoms in Snickers.

To give yourself some piece of mind, please call the vet. It is very understandable that you would be extra concerned because of what just happened to your sweet Marble. I know your vet will understand your being worried

In any case it would be good to have Snickers examined, see if some stomach soothing medicine might be in order and maybe an appetite stimulant to temp her to eat.

I am sending lots of loving thoughts your way. I can feel your heartbreak through your written words. Please keep us posted on Snickers.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty. Please take Snickers to the vet if her symptoms (not eating and vomitting) persist.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! What an awful thing to go thru! There was a recent post by someone else on this forum,that has a cat with similar symptoms. I sure hope they read this. I hope your remaining kittie doesn't have the same thing wrong!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words and loving thoughts. I did forget to say that Marbles did have a fever as well. It just was so unexpected. He was his normal , happy self and then all of a sudden he is gone. We are having a hard time dealing with it. The Vets said nothing really except that maybe he threw a blood clot. They only knew there was no obstruction of any kind.
Snickers is still not eating and is still throwing-up. We are taking her in to the vet and praying that they can get her to eat and she will be fine. Prayerfully it is not a genetic thing. We know a couple that owns their two brothers and they have only had some problems with UTIs with one but nothing like this.
THank you again for your responses.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

Thank you all for your kind words and loving thoughts. I did forget to say that Marbles did have a fever as well. It just was so unexpected. He was his normal , happy self and then all of a sudden he is gone. We are having a hard time dealing with it. The Vets said nothing really except that maybe he threw a blood clot. They only knew there was no obstruction of any kind.
Snickers is still not eating and is still throwing-up. We are taking her in to the vet and praying that they can get her to eat and she will be fine. Prayerfully it is not a genetic thing. We know a couple that owns their two brothers and they have only had some problems with UTIs with one but nothing like this.
THank you again for your responses.
and prayers that Snickers doesn't have the same thing! Please keep us updated!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read your sad story. I can only offer sympathy, alas, not advice, but I am sure you must be very worried for Snickers.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we are back from the vet with Snickers. They gave her an appetite stimulant and some Pepcid AC to help. She finally has eaten.
She is really in heavy mourning. Marbles was her playmate (and my baby). We have two other cats but one is know as "the grumpy uncle" and the other is a mom figure to her. So she is missing Marbles terribly. I am sure with how much mourning we have been going through she senses that as well. They checked her out and everything else seems to be fine. Oh how I wish we all did not have to go through this. It is amazing how our cats are just like our children. We have children and the furry ones are just more kids to us.
Thanks again for the posts. I am just praying we can all just accept this tragedy and be able to heal.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Marbles. Hugs and sympathy to all of you.

I hope Snickers continues to eat and feel better. Positive thoughts and vibes to her.

teetee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My deepest sympathy for your loss. It is very difficult when it happens so suddenly but with time, your heartache will lessen.

Glad to hear to Snickers is eating again and I hope she continues to eat normally. Whenever my kitties lose their appetite, I give them whatever they will eat to help get their appetite back. In the past my vet has recommended baby food; the strained chicken with no other ingredients.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by teetee

My deepest sympathy for your loss. It is very difficult when it happens so suddenly but with time, your heartache will lessen.

Glad to hear to Snickers is eating again and I hope she continues to eat normally. Whenever my kitties lose their appetite, I give them whatever they will eat to help get their appetite back. In the past my vet has recommended baby food; the strained chicken with no other ingredients.
Thank you. I might have to try the baby food. Snickers ate and I was so happy and now she threw it all up
I am just beside myself with worry that this is more than mourning.

teetee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

Thank you. I might have to try the baby food. Snickers ate and I was so happy and now she threw it all up
I am just beside myself with worry that this is more than mourning.
Try feeding her smaller amounts of food in more frequent intervals to see if that helps keep the food down. If she is not touching the current food you are feeding her, buy some small cans of different wet foods and see if she will eat any new ones. Sometimes a stinky food like sardines will do the trick.

If all else fails, ask your vet about giving her valium to stimulate her appetite. It worked instantly on my Whiskers. She didn't eat for 7 days (appetite stimulant pill had no effect on her) and immediately after the injection, she was scarfing down food like crazy. I would not have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

Good luck with this. I know how stressed and worried you must be. Stay strong for Snickers and think positive thoughts.

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Princess Gina was about 2 we got a little foster kitten, they were insanely close and we adopted him. He died at 5 months, he had always been sickly. Gina's herpes virus flared up when he died, and the vet said she was stressed from mourning, and gave her a Holistic remedy, I forget what it was. (My vet is big on Holistic stuff). My point being they love one another and mourn DEEPLY, just like people.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your sudden loss of Marbles..RIP sweet baby. Many healing <<vibes>> for all of you whom are mourning the loss..

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your love and understanding. This has been so difficult. Thankfully Snickers has FINALLY started eating. I got some "smelly" food and she is now eating. She finally broke when I sat down and had a heart to heart with her. I told her that I miss Marbles terribly too and I was so sorry about her brother. I needed her to be strong and to get better and eat. Her little ears perked up and she lifted her head at the mention of Marbles name. I don't care what some people say but animals really do understand a lot. After talking with her she started to eat and has not thrown up since!

I am trying to stay strong for Snickers sake but it is so hard... no other cat will fill that void that Marbles left.

Thank you all again! I am so thankful for finding this forum. I really needed the encouragement of others who know how cats are so much more than "just an animal".

shellbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am tearing up reading this.

I am so sorry you lost your baby. My Atticus has been sick recently and I was afraid of losing him. My heart is with you.

For Snickers, just be with her as I am sure you are. She will take comfort in your presence.

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tears in my eyes reading this. I am so sorry, and I wish you and your whole family the best. Prayers to you in this time of sorrow.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. ShellBell, I am so glad that Atticus is doing well. I would not wish the pain of losing a precious one on anyone.