Quiet down!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else think some motorcycles are way too loud. Most don't bother me but when I'm at a stop light with my window down and I can't hear my radio cuz of the motorcycle next to me, I think that's excessively loud. IMO it should be mandated that all motorcycles are kept at a respectable noise level.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm,err,hmm,no.not really. But since, i have had motorcycles, most of my life, i cant be fair in this

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think even the loudest motorcycle is still quieter than those loud mufflers they put on import cars (and now some smaller American cars) to look like they street race.

I have family who motorcycle, and my Dad was almost killed by a careless driver 2 years ago. So I'm a little biased. I don't mind a loud motorcycle. Some of the newer cars have so much soundproofing even the loudest glass packs can't be heard inside.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno I've heard some crappy sounded motorcycles going by my house really late at night. Or when my neighbor (I live in a townhouse) is in our connecting driveways revving his harley at 7 in the
morning... that just makes me want to call the police on him for disturbing the peace or something!
Other then that they dont really bother me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is rude of me to say, but if you live in a city or town you're just going to have to deal with vehicle noise. Though I do agree that glass packs are silly.

IMO, normal noises from vehicles isn't that bad, it's when the owner intentionally does something to it to make it much much louder, such as blasting subwoofers, that should have some restrictions (and do in most communities).

If you want loud, try living under a flight path to a small base that does some work with military and nasa.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but then again- my ears are extremly sensitive (i've had some ear surgeries). When I ride with Colin, i always notice it gets a little loud as we drive around town sometimes.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAH -- and some motorcycle groups are still lobbying to allow "loud pipes" because they supposedly save lives -- which I personally think is a crock. Careless drivers and not wearing helmets are what cost cyclists' lives -- loud pipes don't make you any more visible to an inattentive driver, especially with the soundproofed cabins a pp mentioned.

My dad rode motorcycle all the time while I was growing up, and for a while I thought my first vehicle would be a motorcycle (cheap gas for those on an allowance!!). He told me when I was in driver's training, "I don't care if you wanna ride, but if I ever catch you on a bike w/out a helmet, I'll kill you and the kid at the wheel myself!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Does anyone else think some motorcycles are way too loud. Most don't bother me but when I'm at a stop light with my window down and I can't hear my radio cuz of the motorcycle next to me, I think that's excessively loud. IMO it should be mandated that all motorcycles are kept at a respectable noise level.
I'm not saying all motorcycles are loud. It just seems some are excessivly louder than others.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by heavenangels

We will take our motorcycles over early morning lawn mowers any day

My hubby and I are very courteous when we are coming home late
from riding .

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I know this is rude of me to say, but if you live in a city or town you're just going to have to deal with vehicle noise. Though I do agree that glass packs are silly.

IMO, normal noises from vehicles isn't that bad, it's when the owner intentionally does something to it to make it much much louder, such as blasting subwoofers, that should have some restrictions (and do in most communities)...
Hehe I am one of those kids with the loud subwoofers
But I am very thoughtful when I have mine up, I usually turn it down at red lights (unless a song I really like is on) and I dont have it loud after dark unless I'm on the highway or interstate.

I think its the same as with motorcycles, it doesnt matter how loud it is, its how thoughtful of others you are...

We will take our motorcycles over early morning lawn movers any day

My hubby and I are very courteous when we are coming home late
from riding
So Thanks very much!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
loud pipes DO save lives, sorry to say. the louder the pipes, the more you take notice to whats around you, and where its coming from. If your noticing, then you wont hit them, or run into their lane. I think personally trucks are louder, but then again, i like bikes and grew up around riders.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My neighbor revs his bike far more than necessary, and that is what I find most annoying. That and the people who like to gun it in the middle of the night in the neighborhood. I seriously think some people just do laps around the area because I can hear them the whole time. It might not be so bad if our houses weren't just about 15' apart. My step-dad and step-brother both had bikes but they were good about it at night and what not.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live on a major route and motorcyles go by all the time. Most of them are EXTREMELY loud to the point where we can't hear the tv when it goes by, even if it's already up loud to begin with. It's a wonder that most of these bikers aren't deaf.