Took Lucky to the Vet

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I took Lucky to the vet, it is not a urinary tract infection, it is bad food
I feel so bad, apparently some foods are known to cause this, the one I am using is one of them. i bought science diet hopefully she will start to feel better, she also has a heart murmur but she will probably out grow it,

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wait a minute! What do you mean "bad food"? Refresh my memory....was Lucky box hopping?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What food was she on? Science diet (we have it here but it's called Science Plan) is not a great food at all, but vets make money through selling it. I love my vets, and no offense is meant by this, but I wouldn't trust them at all when it comes to food recommendations, as they aren't qualified feline nutritionists, there's a huge difference between the two!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just changed from medical kitten food (she didn't like it) to RC baby cat, she ate and ate the RC loves it, but the vet said it has a history of cause urinary tract problems, A just phone a friend of mine it did the same to her cat, i just want to feed my baby some good food

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel too bad!
I used to buy the "cheaper" stuff too - that is, until my male cats started having problems w/ urinary infections. Then I switched to Science Diet, which solved THAT problem, but my cats got way too fat eating it, which wasn't healthy, either.

There are some people here that say the Science Diet isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I don't use it myself any more. You might want to ask the "experts" opinions regarding the SD: there are some knowledgable cat-lovers here who know alot regarding what food is best.

KittKatt

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Allow me to tell you this:

Science Diet is crap. Yes, RC probably could cause UTI problems. Now, did the vet diagnose Lucky with a UTI?

Next thing.....there are foods out there, good foods(not SD) that are not known to cause UTIs. I have 3 UTI kitties that eat Nutro dry foods. I was informed by sharky today that all Nutro foods are UTI certified. I honestly would look into them!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
where can I buy nutro food petstore? I just want my kittie to be healthy, I want to feed her the best I can

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet do a urinalysis for bacteria and/or measure the pH of the urine?

If the food in question is RC Babycat being fed age-appropriately, then it would IMO (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) be highly unlikely for a kitten under 4 months old to develop a urinary tract problem due to diet unless there is some underlying health problem.

RC is IMO much much better quality than Science Diet.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried looking up my area nothing found, I am going to the city tomorrow I will look for it

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen kittens develop UTIs being fed Eagle Pack kitten food, actually Epona. I was astonished, too! (It was one my two current foster kittens, PJ)

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet said she was very young to have this problem, but it is not unheard of, she is 9 1/2 weeks old, she was abandoned as a newborn on my lawn, her family history is not known

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I was informed by sharky today that all Nutro foods are UTI certified. I honestly would look into them!
Can you tell me what this means?
I currently feed Nutro dry and pouches (if they ever come back...) Just curious...

Does this mean they prevent UTIs? I hope so!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Calico76

Can you tell me what this means?
I currently feed Nutro dry and pouches (if they ever come back...) Just curious...

Does this mean they prevent UTIs? I hope so!!!
It means that the mineral levels in the food are acceptable for a cat who has a history of UTIs, basically. You can PM "sharky" for a better worded explanation.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He didn't do any tests, he said because this started when i changed her food, that it was most likely the cause, she was fine before

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

He didn't do any tests, he said because this started when i changed her food, that it was most likely the cause, she was fine before
Well, then that doesn't mean much as far as UTIs go. What exactly as far as problems go was Lucky having? (I have read so many posts, I cannot remember for sure
)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I have seen kittens develop UTIs being fed Eagle Pack kitten food, actually Epona. I was astonished, too! (It was one my two current foster kittens, PJ)
I have no idea what that food is tbh, but I concede the point as you have far more experience than I do with these things! I hope that the kittens are now well and happy

My main concern though is that vets readily give advice, in a way that makes it seem like indisputible scientific fact, about feline nutrition when most aren't actually trained/qualified in nutrition beyond the information they receive in marketing packs from dry-food manufacturers.

I have discussed food with my vet, but gave up when they tried to tell me that an all-dry diet consisting solely of the food they sell at a 20% markup is better because it makes them drink more water which is better for their kidneys, er yeah right because there's no other way to get moisture into a cat such as giving them wet food eh?

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, OK thanks!! My girls don't have a history of UTIs but hopefully it will prevent them too since they've been on it since very young kittens!

Sorry for the hijack!

We have now completed the commercial interruption for Nutro foods...Now back to original topic...

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky started peeing in her bed at night (she is in a kennel) very strong urine, she was drink a lot, peeing in her litter box way to often, but only small amount of urine at a time, and a few times there was a drop of blood on her just after she peed, she also went from eating twice a day to wanting to eat four five times a day