or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › How do you guys feel about over advertized TV pet foods.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you guys feel about over advertized TV pet foods.

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Like Fancy feast/ purnia/ Imas/ When you see the TV commercials what do you want to do to the tv,, you know they lie. You know alot of the stuff in there is bad for them. But sadly some of you may have to buy them due to $ and convenince


Explain your feelings and what you would want to be changed about this Industery.
post #2 of 40
Not only do they advertise on TV, in magazines, coupons, newspapers, etc.

They spend all their $ on advertising when it should be spent on quality food.

I don't buy it, those cute commercials with everyone smiling, the cats and dogs look very healthy.

A big LIE, just like you said.

Only one way to change the industry- buy GOOD food.

Great topic that you started....
post #3 of 40
I dunno. I mean, everyone knows those brands.....I guess my point would be look at the Pedigree commercials! How many of them are ones that show animals in shelters? I know I just saw one on YouTube showing a doggie that was in a commercial who was sitting in the shelter, then they showed the doggie going home to his new family! And 9 Lives/Morris the Cat, the adoption drive, it actually worked for the HS here!

While I HATE the foods & the junk they put in them, they have got big $$ to spend on advertising, & if they would all focus on adoptable animals in shelters, then I'd be happy!
post #4 of 40
Thread Starter 
I remembered back when I knew no better, I thought Science diet was THE food to feed, I'm sure all of us have had simalar stories.

Its a wonder why something didnt happen to animals all the years it was being done to them BEFORE the recall.


I really don't like the lie, vet recomended either, I wonder if vets REALLY told comstermers how they SHOULD feed their beloved pets, Would they be fired for going against the norm?
post #5 of 40
Great topic indeed. I too hate those ads, I wish there was some sort of regulation.
post #6 of 40
Those Pedigree commercials make me cry and snuggle Zissou. Poor babyloves.

I don't see anything more wrong with pet food ads than I do with the general over-consumerist culture we have.
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther pride View Post
I really don't like the lie, vet recomended either, I wonder if vets REALLY told comstermers how they SHOULD feed their beloved pets, Would they be fired for going against the norm?
I think it comes down to finding the right vet. I told my vet I was feeding raw (well just the dogs back then... this was a while ago) and he actually jumped up and down and cheered I think thats why I love him so much. He really has a lot of passion for what he does... kickbacks from corporations be darned!

Now if I could only find a doc who'd do the same thing

But those commercials tick me off. Especially the one that says feeding your dog (whatever food it was) adds two years to your dogs life. Exactly what were they feeding the control group in that study... rat poison?
post #8 of 40
While I am watching them I am always thinking according to who? For instance, when Iams or some other crappy company like them(we shall call them company "X") said, dogs fed "X" brand live two years more than dogs not fed "X" brand.
So what were the dogs fed? Saw dust only? By products only? Who did this study, the company? Who funded it? Where did they get the animals to do the study? How were they treated? Where can I find it? How long did it last? Did they try any high quality foods? Or just low quality and brand "X"? The questions go on.

Mainly the pet commercials exploit people's warm fuzzy side, showing cute puppies. And it works apparently, cute puppy means good reputable company with proper nutrition and a species appropriate diet? I think not.

And the Beneful one just makes me stomach turn. That is honestly one of the worst foods you can buy, it is at the lower end and they show whole grains, fresh veggies, and fresh meats. I just wish they would REALLY show what they put in the food. Seriously. Now that would be some truth in advertising. Let's have the dog do a taste test, real whole meats or hard cereal kibble with processed by-products!

I usually just roll my eyes at the clever marketing schemes. I wish there were more ethics in marketing, that is for sure. Thank goodness more people are starting to wake up and question the pets health and diet. I love the honesty and research found in these two books http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Comp.../dp/157954973X
and
http://www.amazon.com/Food-Pets-Die-...6812095&sr=1-1
post #9 of 40
A lot of pet owners here think that whiskas and the like is a really good food because it's heavily advertised with images of healthy looking cats and claims of "meaty goodness" etc
post #10 of 40
I have read ingrediants for 20 yrs now .. I am 29 for the record so I started VERY young... The trouble was I didnt know corn did not digest so both cats and dogs were on corn ... Of course many years later I learned about raw and homemade( hehehe Grandma did homemeade for all of them) ... Today I feed the animal and there needs ... FOr my Zoey that means two types of dry food mixed ( hoping I can get one of them without labeling it something else) and one that has grain yet seems to do well in her tummy( cats may not be domesticated but they have lived in houses for centuries , I hypothisis some actually do grains).... For the dog she get s a little raw , little canned and lots of homemade and a zillion supplements for a liver condition

I dont like the ads but the better companies WILL NOT advertise in that manner since they have something to tell the customer ... whether via a demo person or a sales person at the store
post #11 of 40
I buy my dog food on-line. A big city like this and I can't even get California Natural, Herring and Sweet Potato here, can you believe that? Not enough call for it to make it worth their while to truck it in.

My cat Gray One is on special food from the Vet for Kidney Disease.

People just don't think, I guess or they are to darn cheap and think, "it's ONLY an animal"
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post

People just don't think, I guess or they are to darn cheap and think, "it's ONLY an animal"
The Beneful commercial suggests you are actually "spoiling" your animal when you feed him crap in a bag from the grocery store aisles since it is mostly low quality filler grain and some by-products (not fit for human consumption) processed into dry hard pebbles with other crap added in of course for "flavor" and to help preserve the stuff! That always makes me shake my head since I know some people actually believe it! The only thing "spoiled" about that food are the ingredients that go into it!
post #13 of 40
Thread Starter 
Yep, they should have more testing to prove what actually goes into them I agree, Do I think it will ever realistically happen, nope, after all to most people they are "Just Animals" $ makes humans do stupid STUPID things, Its a survival instinct I think.

I wish there was some way I could show pics or videos of the pets being rendered or processed to my dad, so as too prove I wasnt making up or that the author wasn't making up the fact that PTS animals can and do end up as pet food

The good news is that there ARE products out there that are good and DONT have these awful things inside of them.
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther pride View Post
Yep, they should have more testing to prove what actually goes into them I agree, Do I think it will ever realistically happen, nope, after all to most people they are "Just Animals" $ makes humans do stupid STUPID things, Its a survival instinct I think.

I wish there was some way I could show pics or videos of the pets being rendered or processed to my dad, so as too prove I wasnt making up or that the author wasn't making up the fact that PTS animals can and do end up as pet food

The good news is that there ARE products out there that are good and DONT have these awful things inside of them.
MOST companies do NOT USE euthanized pets .... Thus the proof is hard to find today.. YES many years ago it was likely common as ingrediants such as MEAT or MEAT MEAL or MEAT BY PRODUCTS were common..

TO the "JUST ANIMAL " folks I ask them what they are ... Usually shut s them right up
post #15 of 40
Thread Starter 
Yep, I agree we are animals too.
post #16 of 40
Thread Starter 
I think one of reasons why our cats and dogs took it for so long( the low quality food) is that they are much stronger then humans when it comes to eating food, they can eat raw meat wthout getting sick and heads, feet brains, you name it. If we tried that nowadays we'd end up in the ER or worse?

I think that the recall has effected them is a clear cut cry of how BAD its actually become. I mean Dogs and Cats could and probably did eat and digest meat by products for thousends of years before Cat/Dog food was invented.
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther pride View Post
I think one of reasons why our cats and dogs took it for so long( the low quality food) is that they are much stronger then humans when it comes to eating food, they can eat raw meat wthout getting sick and heads, feet brains, you name it. If we tried that nowadays we'd end up in the ER or worse?

I think that the recall has effected them is a clear cut cry of how BAD its actually become. I mean Dogs and Cats could and probably did eat and digest meat by products for thousends of years before Cat/Dog food was invented.
they ate by products ... but they are selective ... What parts of a bird are usually left??? the head and ft and some organs

Umm yeah steak tar tar is not on my menu
post #18 of 40
Thread Starter 
post #19 of 40
Thread Starter 
On the bright side I just found out Orijen is nw being sold at ANOTHER STORE in my area!!

Still very high in price but atlest its in a driveable distance.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
MOST companies do NOT USE euthanized pets .... Thus the proof is hard to find today.. YES many years ago it was likely common as ingrediants such as MEAT or MEAT MEAL or MEAT BY PRODUCTS were common..

TO the "JUST ANIMAL " folks I ask them what they are ... Usually shut s them right up
I met a lady in the parking lot of a major pet store, we were talking about food, she knew a close relative who worked at P----- she quit because they really did use eithanized pets in their food. Also, see below link for mis-labeling pet food ingredients.

http://www.mflegal.com/petfoodlawsuit

I find it very hard to trust the major pet food companies today.

" It's JUST AN ANIMAL"
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcats View Post
I met a lady in the parking lot of a major pet store, we were talking about food, she knew a close relative who worked at P----- she quit because they really did use eithanized pets in their food. Also, see below link for mis-labeling pet food ingredients.

http://www.mflegal.com/petfoodlawsuit

I find it very hard to trust the major pet food companies today.

" It's JUST AN ANIMAL"
Thank you but if that were true AFFCO and the USDA would be having a field day////

That law suit reminds me of the ads of tv .. took this drug call us ... type suite ... likely when the facts are found out it will be history

most of us are having a hard time with pet foods right now ... but in the same light what happened to the cans and some dry happens daily in our food supplies
post #22 of 40
Yes, there are lots and lots of drug ads and commercials.

Consumerism is everywhere, but, who is being consumed and by what...
post #23 of 40
It's kind of a double-edged sword.

Of course it's the larger, not as nutritionally premium, companies who have the money to do mass marketing campaigns. So yes, that is what the generally uneducated consumer will purchase. However, in watching many of these commercials - they are at least talking about balanced nutrition, about quality ingredients. Perhaps that will be an impetus to get some people thinking about that aspect and that they do need to consider this for their animal companions.

We also need to remember that it wasn't all that long ago that there weren't very many choices available for pets. It was either what the grocery/feed store had or what the vet's office sold. It's easy for us to be pet food "snobs" if you will, but the industry as a whole - including the grocery store brands - has made a lot of progress in recent years.
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post

We also need to remember that it wasn't all that long ago that there weren't very many choices available for pets. It was either what the grocery/feed store had or what the vet's office sold. .
You are forgetting one option, real whole foods. Fresh meats and fresh foods prepared by their humans, that is what most people used to feed their dogs until consumerism culture and convenience at health costs (even in humans) become the most popular option. Sounds a lot better than anything in a bag. I think you would really like Pitcairn's book.
Today’s grocery store bagged foods are even worse since they have been bought out by massive corporations, who aren’t that concerned with animal health, but more so concerned with what most large businesses are concerned with, money, a profit. Even if that means using all sorts of stuff in there not fit for consumption, for instance, plastic and trans fatty used grease from fast food places. This article is a small look at the bigger problem: http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/recycled_grease.htm
post #25 of 40
I think it's a joke! What animals need fruits and vegetables in their diet?
post #26 of 40
IMO the commercials do not bother me. I think about all the strays/ferals who wouldn't get any food at all if not for the cheaper foods. I know many family and friends who feed their cats the lower quality foods and all their cats are healthy. As for feeding pets fresh meat before commercial foods were available most of the meats were left overs and scraps and were not balanced.
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitytize View Post
As for feeding pets fresh meat before commercial foods were available most of the meats were left overs and scraps and were not balanced.
What do you called balanced? It isn't the ingredients (real and fake) in grocery store pet foods. I will agree with you, the cheap and easy foods are better than stray cats dying from no food. Just like I choose not to eat certain foods, but if I were starving, I would eat them.

Is it really rocket science that must be measured in a lab by humans to get it right to feed their pets? I think not. But that is not what the large corporations with their brillant marketing plans would like us to believe.
post #28 of 40
I believe some is marketing but ...

As one making raw and cooked food for my animals ... I have :censored: of a time making it balenced and only thru my vet s help is it simplier... the books are great guides BUT I have FOUND many flaws in them ... like the "pet cookbooks" where the recipe called for two cups of MILK...
post #29 of 40
Has anyone seen the commercials for the "Goodlife Recipe"? Its made out to be some supergood food, but its the same crap in a new package. I think its Purina's newest type. I used to feed crap foods like Purnia, but I feed Wellness now. Its grain free, and its helped a lot with my dogs' skin problems.
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococat View Post
Is it really rocket science that must be measured in a lab by humans to get it right to feed their pets? I think not. But that is not what the large corporations with their brillant marketing plans would like us to believe.
Rocket science? No. But since my father is a (now retired) animal health and nutrition specialist who worked primarily with formulating diets for livestock and exotic livestock, I can attest that it most definitely IS a science. And it is a science that they are continuing to make advancements on as they understand the nutritional needs of animals in varying locations and situations - just as they are continuing to progress the nutritional science in humans.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › How do you guys feel about over advertized TV pet foods.