Cats and foil balls

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why do cats enjoy foiled balls so much? I've had 5 yr old George for about 4 months now and he just recently started to play with toys. Nothing overly exciting tho... My brother suggested giving him some balled up foil. He has that thing flying all over the house!!! He has other small balls (the kind with bells inside, some are rope covered balls) but he pays no attention to those. I'm very glad he's having a good time I'm just puzzled by the whole foil thing.
Especially when he carries it around in his mouth! eeewww

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get him some shiny mylar crinkle balls to play with instead of giving him aluminum foil balls. The aluminum foil comes apart in tiny bits and it is really bad for cats to ingest.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its the shiny and the noise. But be careful - do not let them play with foil unsupervised. Foil is really metal steel that is super thin. You don't want them to be chewing on it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by George's Mom

Why do cats enjoy foiled balls so much? I've had 5 yr old George for about 4 months now and he just recently started to play with toys. Nothing overly exciting tho... My brother suggested giving him some balled up foil. He has that thing flying all over the house!!! He has other small balls (the kind with bells inside, some are rope covered balls) but he pays no attention to those. I'm very glad he's having a good time I'm just puzzled by the whole foil thing.
Especially when he carries it around in his mouth! eeewww
Because they "skitter" on the hard floors and sound like mice or other small prey! Also, they have great swatability. Just ask George.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in an apt and I have a stovetop that looks like it was painted or something, nevertheless it's ugly, so I covered it in foil, which was great for cleaning purposes.. except that my cat took a liking to tearing it up... I would find little pieces everywhere... I would think the noise and not-so-pleasant feeling of foil at his feet would deter him, not at all... now I'm afraid he'll eat the foil so I just leave it uncovered... maybe it's the crinkly sound the love...

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lilly LOVES foil balls; they are by far her favorite toy. She plays fetch with them, and drops it right at my feet after she retrieves it. Not to mention playing "soccer" with them on the non-carpeted floors. I'm careful to smush them together as tightly as possible so she can't rip them apart & swallow bits of the foil, and replace them frequently. We've never had a problem. The biggest issue is that she tends to "stockpile" them in weird places!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replys! I will check on the mylar balls on my next trip to the pet store. I've tried to remember to put the ball away when I'm not around but will admit that I have forgotten a time or two - it is squished tightly and so far no damage to the ball. George tends to play with it when no one is looking - but you can certainly HEAR what's going on!!

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Lily looks like one contented catgirl.
Adorable!
Thanks! I must admit, it's the rare moment she puts down her guard - and more importantly, her dignity - to get a pic like that! She's very "proper".