Scary but likely true... about cancer

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is an eye opener & sounds reasonable so thought you'd like to read it

Cancer Update from Johns Hopkins

1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show
up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion.
When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their
bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the
cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.

2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person's
lifetime.

3. When the person's immune system is strong the cancer cells will be
destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors.

4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple
nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food and
lifestyle factors.

5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet and
including supplements will strengthen the immune system.

6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and
also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone marrow, gastro
-intestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys,
heart, lungs etc.

7. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages
healthy cells, tissues and organs.

8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often reduce
tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result
in more tumor destruction.

9. When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and
radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can
succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.

10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and
become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells
to spread to other sites.

11. An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer
cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply.

CANCER CELLS FEED ON:

a. Sugar is a cancer-feeder. By cutting off sugar it cuts off one
important food supply to the cancer cells. Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet ,
Equal, Spoonful, etc are made with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural
substitute would be Manuka honey or molasses but only in very small
amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in color. Better
alternative is Bragg's aminos or sea salt.

b . Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro
-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off milk and
substituting with unsweetened soy milk cancer cells are being starved.

c . Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is
acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little chicken rather than beef or
pork. Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites,
which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer.

d. A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds,
nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About
20% can be from cooked food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices
provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels
within 15 minutes to nourish and enhance growth of healthy cells. To
obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable
juice (most vegetables including bean sprouts)and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3
times a day . Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 104 degrees F (40
degrees C )..

e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high caffeine. Green tea is
a better alternative and has cancer-fighting properties. Water-best to drink
purified water, or filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap
water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.

12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive
enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines become putrefied and
leads to more toxic buildup.

13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from
or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of
cancer cells and allows the body's killer cells to destroy the cancer
cells.

14. Some supplements build up the immune system ( IP6 , Florssence,
Essiac , anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the
body's own killer cells to destroy cancer cells. Other supplements like vitamin
E are known to cause apoptosis , or programmed cell death, the body's
normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.

15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive
and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor. Anger,
unforgiveness and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic
environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to
relax and enjoy life.

16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising
daily and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular
level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.

CANCER UPDATE FROM JOHN HOPKINS HOSPITAL, U S - PLEASE READ

1. No plastic containers in micro.

2. No water bottles in freezer. < BR>

3. No plastic wrap in microwave.

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This
information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as
well.

Dioxin chemicals causes cancer, especially breast cancer.

Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies.

Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases
dioxins from the plastic.

Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto , Wellness Program Manager at Castle
Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked
about dioxins and how bad they are for us.

He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using
plastic containers.

This especially applies to foods that contain fat

He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases
dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body.

Instead, he recommends using glass , such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or
ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the
dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc.,
should be removed from the container and heated in something else.

Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper.

It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc.

He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved
away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the
reasons.

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous
when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is
nuked,the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic
wrap and drip into the food. Cover food with a paper towel instead.

This is an article that should be sent to anyone important in your life

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

False in origin or not, there is at least some solid information in there.
that is why I posted it ..plus put a UMM not varafied ..

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, there's a lot of good info in there. I belong to a group called "FoodSafe" and there was a discussion about nasty chemicals in paper towels. I always dried washed fruits and veggies on paper towels... not any more. The safest way to cover something in the microwave is to use an inverted (not plastic or paper!) plate.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lets face it, everything we d0 causes cancer.

Just live life and enj0y it!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The scary thing about the email is that there is some true facts mixed in with a lot of BS. And most people won't be able to recognize the difference.
For instance, if #1 said abnormal cells instead of cancer cells, it would be true. Cancer, by definition, has to meet certain criteria. Unlike normal cells, it doesn't stop growing when its allotted space is filled up. It also has the ability to travel to other parts of the body, unlike normal cells. And it tends to grow at a faster rate than other cells in the tissue of origin. Yes, it takes a large number of cells to show on testing and doctors are remiss in not using the word detectable (a pet peeve of mine). remmeber the five year rule.
Abnormal cells occur all of the time and a healthy immune system will recognize them as abnormal and kill them. An immune system that fails to recognize the abnormal cells once probably fail again. Note that all abnormal cells are not cancer.
Poor nutrition does not mean you will get cancer. It can make it tougher for the body to repair itself.
Chemotherapy works by stopping the cell reproductive cycle. Because cancer cells, by definition, are rapidly reproducing, a large number of cells are always reproducing and therefore susceptable to interruption of the reproductive cycle. Certain body parts also have a normal rapid rate of reproduction and will also be affected by the chemo - hair, intestinal lining, bone marrow. this accounts for most of the side effects you hear about with cancer - hair loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anemia, and infections. Heart, lung, liver and kidney damage are not that common in chemotherapy, though a few drugs due put you at more risk for it. Lab functions are monitored and to give a treatment with these drugs requires that the lab results be within certain normal limits.
Radiation does affect some normal cells along with the targeted cancer cells. Improvements in technique of delivery (better machines and masking) limit it as much as possible.
Drug trial (and I include radiation trials in here too) results have led to the treatment protocols for the different types of cancer. A protocol is the schedule of treatment with a set of drugs and radiation. There is a maximum number of treatments for each protocol. The goal of cancer treatment is to reduce the number of cancer cells to a point at which the body's immune system can kill off the ones remaining.
While chemo and radiation can cause cells to mutate, cancer cells are already mutating.
Diet - cancer cells are energy hogs. They do live on blood sugars - just like all of the other body cells. There is so much wrong info here that I am tired just thinking about the correction it needs.

Please be suspicious when you receive emails like this.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

check out this....

www.snopes.com

it proves this email is FALSE! i check all the emails i get though them.
Thanks, for posting this.

I agree with Fwan - EVERYTHING is bad for you so, enjoy life!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Lets face it, everything we d0 causes cancer.

Just live life and enj0y it!
Well said

It's like the old joke "giving up all the fun things doesn't make you live longer, it just feels like it"

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a lot of misinformation in that e-mail!
Be careful where you get your medical advice and always tell your doctor about any steps you are taking on your own as a result of "internet research." Advice with half-truths like this makes me angry because to the average person, it will sound sophisticated enough to be true.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is interesting about a lot of the points about preventing cancer is that I saw a show that talked about doing most of these things to help the bad aspects of menopause. I wouldn't think that these will prevent cancer, but there is a lot of healthy habits listed in there.

And the other night on the Sundance Channel, I saw a documentary about using plastics, particularly PVC which is loaded with dioxins. They talked a lot about the damage that dioxins can do and how ultimately, once you get them into your body, they rarely ever flush out. So if plastic containers and plastic wrap have any dioxins in them, then yes, I would avoid using them in a microwave (note to self, throw out plastic microwave cover).

So even though this was proved false by Snopes, there is a lot of truth in it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

So even though this was proved false by Snopes, there is a lot of truth in it.
Right! Snopes and Mythbusters and the other "debunkers" are not infallible. Some of the information here is right on target, and some of it is nonsense (or is so badly written as to be meaningless). Why someone compiled it and sent it around, I don't know... but I suspect it was someone who genuinely believed he was doing a good thing.

One of the most dangerous and frustrating aspects of the "information age" is that it can be almost impossible to track down the original source of a piece of information in order to verify it. For the most part, we just have to use our own best judgment as to what seems reasonable.

You folks who think we're better off if we ignore it all and do as we please... I hope you're right! But I fear you may not be, so when what seems to be sound medical advice comes along, and I can follow it without too much disruption or deprivation, I do pay attention. No sense askin' for trouble!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

...And the other night on the Sundance Channel, I saw a documentary about using plastics, particularly PVC which is loaded with dioxins. They talked a lot about the damage that dioxins can do and how ultimately, once you get them into your body, they rarely ever flush out. So if plastic containers and plastic wrap have any dioxins in them, then yes, I would avoid using them in a microwave (note to self, throw out plastic microwave cover)...
I've done a lot of research on plastics. I've come to the conclusion that although it is impossible to get plastics out of our lives, we can do a lot to minimize the exposure, since it is cumulative.

Generally, any plastic that is food-safe (called food-contact plastics) is much safer than non-food-contact plastics. Even if they are new & clean; trash bags, paint buckets, film containers, contact or shelf paper, trash cans, etc. are horribly dangerous if you eat food that was put in them. They contain heavy metals (lead, mercury), known endocrine disruptors (mess up the body's hormones which screws up everything), known carcinogens, and anything else the manufacturers want to throw in.

The safest plastics are pharmaceutical ones. Generally speaking, the more rigid the plastic, the safer, since phthalates are added to soften plastic and make it bendy. Phthalates do leach into food, especially into liquids and the fats in foods, that is a fact. The government has come up with "safe" limits for the food-contact plastics. Let's hope they are right!

And PVC, or polychoride vinyl, is one of the worst and most toxic substances ever invented by man.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

...You folks who think we're better off if we ignore it all and do as we please... I hope you're right! But I fear you may not be, so when what seems to be sound medical advice comes along, and I can follow it without too much disruption or deprivation, I do pay attention. No sense askin' for trouble!
I agree. There are many extremely harmful substances out there and a little knowledge could save us and our loved ones from some suffering down the line. You can't stop living from fear but it doesn't make sense to me to be completely reckless about it either.

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RI the littlest stop on the map..........
Sparky I liked to say thanks for taking the time to post this right or wrong true or false the point being that we all should stop and think about this
if some of it isn't true you can bet next week the Medical Journal of Medicine will say they now have found that:....or Medical Journal of Medicine will say there are no known finding that:...so you see either way we can't win here.
I have live with this horrible Cancer my beautiful loving husband who was only 41 when diagnosed and was treated aggressively to help slow the cancer down he died 11 months later. My beautiful sister who was only 30 when she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer as the doctors put it made it to the four year marked and that Horrific Nasty Cancer came back she died 8 months later which was just before the 5th year of her first diagnoses. Both of them within 2 years apart. trust me when I say I have to wonder... I'm not saying that we have to be paranoid the government does that for us . If I have learned one thing it's "Life is to short" and to add I always keep one eye & ear open . So in closing maybe people should think about keeping one eye & ear open because you never know what tomorrow will being.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The snopes link above did not go to the actual snopes article which you might find interesting, in that it contains a disclaimer from Johns Hopkins. I'm not suggesting that there is no truth in the article -- there may be lots -- but the total lack of endorsement from the supposed author makes me want to check any claim in the piece carefully before letting it govern my life.

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RI the littlest stop on the map..........
I agree with what you are saying I find it odd that every time we hear some news about what is causing cancer or a recap that they have found out it doesn't why play with our heads with all the emails and websites know wonder everyone is so confused I know I am. I would like to think we have great scientist that can confirm there finding so why is there retractions we heard that wine wasn't good for us now we hear it is I believe for our hearts (hope I'm right on that one) and that chocolate wasn't good for us now we hear it is (dark choc). I'm not saying these things will cause cancer I just throw in the wine & chocolate thing HUM nice compo I think I will make a stop to the refrig and get me a glass then stop by the candy jar see ya in a few
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

The snopes link above did not go to the actual snopes article which you might find interesting, in that it contains a disclaimer from Johns Hopkins. I'm not suggesting that there is no truth in the article -- there may be lots -- but the total lack of endorsement from the supposed author makes me want to check any claim in the piece carefully before letting it govern my life.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was like the hysteria, some years ago, about saccharine and red dye causing cancer in laboratory rats. People quit drinking diet sodas and eating maraschino cherries.The rats were fed excessively high dosages, to get the resulting cancers. Turns out, in order to get the equivalent dosage, a human would have had to drink 40+ sodas, per day, for 100 YEARS
As for the maraschino cherries, the equivalent dose, would have been 400-500 cherries per day - if I tried to eat that many maraschino cherries, I'd
before they could cause me any damage.

Just remember: LIFE is terminal!