Need Advice Kitten stolen

myndnbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I am needing advice about my daughters kitten that got stolen. The police are being so stupid about it we are wanting the police report so we can file charges on the guy that stole the kitten and the police keep putting us off telling us that it was just a kitten and we can always get another one. To some people she may be just a kitten but to us she was and still is our pet. I have even told the police to go to the guy and tell him if he gives the kitten back we wont press chargers but that has not happend yet. He also has her in a small cage and we were told if we go on his propety and get the kitten we will be charged with tresspassing and theft. He stole her from us first. The man that lives across the street saw him take her. He said he did not call the police because he thought we gave the kitten to the man because he did not think some one would be so stupid to steal a kitten in daylight with him standing there and the kitten also had on a pink collar with her name and our address on it. Does anyone know anything about the laws on theft of a pet and what we can do. And for the ones that say you should have had her inside. I could not have her inside I already have 8 cats inside. And my youngest son is allerigc to cat hair so the ones we have inside are sphynx and they dont bother my son but cats with fur do. Thats why she was not inside. Also when we got her she was wild and my daughter tamed her down. She was being given away at a flea market and noone wanted her so the people that had her was going to take her to the shelter so we took her. Also if this man that stole her was keeping her inside I would just let it go but he is not she is in a tiny cage on his front porch. I want this man charged with everything that he can be charged with not only for the pain he has caused my family but for the fact that if he will steal a kitten with a collar and tag on then what else will he steal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myndnbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I have asked him why and he said because his son wanted it. So he took it. Found out today from someone else that saw him take the kitten that this guy lifted his son over my fence for him to get the kitten so he not only stole my daugthers kitten but is teaching his son to steal. The child that was lifted over my fence to get the kitten looks to be around 6 years old. But what does it matter his reason? To me theft is theft! I also talked to the lady at animal control today and she is going to look into the case and see if she can get the kitten with him keeping it in the tiny cage. And after that case is over we will get the kitten back and if it works out this way the kitten will be going to my moms house. Also my husband called the police again and they say the report will be ready later on tonight. So we will be going Monday morning to see the judge to press charges.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go back to the police and file a report of tresspassing and theft. Have your neighbour who saw him do it go with you.

You can even consult a lawyer if the police are not taking you seriously.

Personally what I would do is go and take my cat back and then worry about the charges after the fact. The cat is yours. You have a witness that said he saw the neighbour take the cat from your yard. Sounds to me like he has the cat on the porch in a cage to taunt you.

If the police aren't taking you serious about the kitten being taken from your yard and the guy having tresspassed, chances are they won't take him seriously about complaints of the same sort against you.

Either way, I'd go get the cat and then start keeping it inside and not leaving it unattended in the yard anymore.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a member here Mark Kumpf give him a holler via PM about this. I am sure he will have some suggestions for you. Poor kitty, I hope you get her back.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by myndnbabies

...But what does it matter his reason? ...
I was just curious what, if any, justification he had and whether he had even been made aware that the kitten had an owner.

myndnbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had a collar with a tag with her name and my address on it. So there is no way he can say he did not know she had a home. He put his son over my fence to get her. His excuse is his son wanted her and his son gets what he wants. Hes just a really bad person and is teaching his child to be this way. It just makes me wonder what else he has stolen because his son wants it. The police is being such a pain about it because they say a dsh cat has no vaule if it was something they thought was of value they would do something but they feel a kitten is no big deal. They have to give me the report and then I will take it to the judge for a warrent. And we will let the courts decide what will happen.

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what horrible people. i would just go over and take the kitten back. he trespassed on your property and stole the poor thing. what a mean man. there is absolutely no excuse what so ever for that kind of behavior.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by myndnbabies

She had a collar with a tag with her name and my address on it. So there is no way he can say he did not know she had a home. He put his son over my fence to get her. His excuse is his son wanted her and his son gets what he wants. Hes just a really bad person and is teaching his child to be this way. It just makes me wonder what else he has stolen because his son wants it. The police is being such a pain about it because they say a dsh cat has no vaule if it was something they thought was of value they would do something but they feel a kitten is no big deal. They have to give me the report and then I will take it to the judge for a warrent. And we will let the courts decide what will happen.
I'm sorry, but I have a serious problem with what the police are telling you.

It's not your job to go to court for a warrant, it's their job!!! They're just being lazy SOB's

Go back to the police station, and take your daughter (her sad face and tears will guilt them if necessary) and the neighbour who witnessed it happening, and lodge a complaint that the neighbour tresspassed on your property and took your daughter's cat.

That cat does have value! He essentially broke into your home (tresspassed on your private property) and took something that belonged to you.

And call the mayor's office and lodge a complaint about the police too.

Also contact the local news channel or news paper and see if you can enlist their help too. Police tend to not like negative attention, and if they know they are going to be dogged by the media about slacking in their job, they will be more inclined to get on this issue.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just outrageous.

I just don't understand people sometimes.

I'm glad you're willing to pursue it. The police could at least go to the man's house an have a "talk" with him. That alone could be enough to convince the man that he doesn't want this to go any further.

I hope you get your kitten back soon!

myndnbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me and my husband talked about it and he is going over there late tonight while everyone is asleep and get the kitten back and takeing her to my moms. The cage she is in is horrible. Its like a small guniea pig cage and they dont have a litter box in it or anything. I can not stand the thought of her being in that cage for another day. We live in a very small town and the police are very lazy all you ever see them doing is sitting in parking lots talking or at resturants eating. There is always different police officers working because they are such a bad police dep. That they cant keep employes they keep transfering. The county police are better than the city but I live in the city so I am stuck with the crappy ones. Half of the ones on the city police dep. I went to school with and I know what type of people they are and dont know how in the world alot of them became police officers. I will try the Mayors office Monday but I dont know how good it will do because he is being investigated now for stealing the city's money. Its been all in the local news papers about him takeing his family on vacation with the tax payers money. I wish I would have known the kind of city this was before we moved here.

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm sorry. post immediately after he goes. i assume you are gonna stay up and watch it all happen. keep us posted please.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck on getting your kitten back! What a horrible and disgusting person. His actions could also be considered child abuse, so you might want to make a call to Child Welfare.

Tricia

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about a little help. Can you PM me with the department information. Also your city and state (is is SC?). I'll research the code and send you some additional information and be happy to call the PD and see if they are going to handle this in a professional manner or are possibly interested in some national attention. Last time I checked, theft was theft.

M.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he think you were neglecting her? But he seems to be doing just about as bad for her--she can't run around in that cage, and no litter box?!...

Did you chip the kitten?

Could you keep her in your garage, in a big dog crate? If you did that, you could keep her till you found a home for her that didn't have an allergic kid. Lots of animal shelters will let you foster her.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf

Last time I checked, theft was theft.

M.
Exactly! I can't believe how lazy that police force sounds! That's why I suggested contacting the media in order to shed some light on what seems like a totally incompetent police force that could use some serious overhauling!!!

myndnbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I have not had a chance to get back on until now. My husband ended up not haveing to go up to the mans house last night. Last night was a mess. We also have a 3 pound pom. We had let her out to go potty and she started barking so I looked out the window like I always do when she barks and the guy that stole my daughters kitten was walking up the road in front of my house. Well he throwed a rock at my 3 pound pom. That was in the fenced in yard with no way to get out and get to him so my husband went out and they had words. I called the police. The police got here really fast and it just happend to be one of the few that are good and my husband knows him. We filled this officer in on what had went on with the kitten and now with the dog. He left and caught up with the man walking and got him and brought him back to our house to make sure he had the right guy. He then took the guy to his house and wanted to see the kitten. My daughters kitten still had her pink collar and her name tag on with our adderess on. So the officer brought the kitten back to us and took the guy to jail for theft. We still have to go sign a warrent on the guy for throwing the rock at our dog but we have the kitten back and she is now at my moms house safe where she will be staying at now. As for him thinking she was negleted she was not even though she was outside she had food and water and a cat house with a fan in it to keep her cool. I take very good care of my animals. She had not been chipped yet the vet was and still is going to chip her next month when she gets spayed. I am just so excited that we got her back.

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that's great,
both that you got you kitten back and the
gets what he deserves. how mean to throw that rock at little dog.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
What an
. And stupid too to leave the collar on. But I'm glad he did and that you got your kitten back.