odd yowling from cat

booboo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi-
I have a question I hope someone can shed some light on. I have a seven year old spayed female cat named booboo. She has for quite awhile exibited a strange behavior. A few years ago I bought her a mouse toy, about the size of a baseball which she very frequently will carry around making a strange howling noise that can be heard from about anywhere in my apartment. i have always thought it was just an oddity that every time she picks it up she starts howling but last night a friend suggested she might see it as a dead kitten that she is mourning (for years!?) Anyone know why she might do this?
Thanks!!!!
jen

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because it's what cats (more so females, I think) do with their 'dolls', esp. when delivering them to you when they want something (usually to eat). Mine's done it forever, and I still don't know for sure if she's saying her baby's hungry, or the mouse is 'money', or 'look what I killed, now I want food', or what.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booboo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, well I am glad it does not mean she is mourning!! It was really making me sad last night...

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dunno, Noel does this, she carries a sock or toy or sometimes, to my dismay, underwear.. although she's dropped the underwear habit recently..and then walks through the house meowing and trilling until she finds me at which point she drops the "object" at my feet and waits to be pet. But it's like she's looking for me, and when she finds me, she'll drop whatever object it is and come see me. I don't know if she's looking for me or if she's just doing something else...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booboo1

Hi-
I have a question I hope someone can shed some light on. I have a seven year old spayed female cat named booboo. She has for quite awhile exibited a strange behavior. A few years ago I bought her a mouse toy, about the size of a baseball which she very frequently will carry around making a strange howling noise that can be heard from about anywhere in my apartment. i have always thought it was just an oddity that every time she picks it up she starts howling but last night a friend suggested she might see it as a dead kitten that she is mourning (for years!?) Anyone know why she might do this?
Thanks!!!!
jen
Nope, friend. Booboo is probably alerting you to the fact that she has made a "kill" and she's proudly letting you know what a mighty hunter/provider/protector she is! Samuda does this all the time with sparkle balls IN HIS MOUTH while yowling. I always try to praise him and stroke him whenever he does this...!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booboo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL!! I guess I should get her some new toys then so she can make a new kill for me. that reminds me of when she used to be an outdoor cat and she would bring everything from mice, to birds, to giant leaves inside with her for me!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booboo1

LOL!! I guess I should get her some new toys then so she can make a new kill for me. that reminds me of when she used to be an outdoor cat and she would bring everything from mice, to birds, to giant leaves inside with her for me!
Yep, that sounds great -- and now you've solved the mystery! Sounds to me like BooBoo's always been a Mighty Hunter...

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my female cats do this too. The older of the two is the most loud and will get louder and louder until I call out to her saying, "Good girl!" to which she will then bring me whatever toy she has. She drops it when she sees me and wants lots of pets and praise.
Every single girl cat I have owned has done this. I always took it that since they are indoor cats that this was their way of "catching" something and delivering it to me to thank me for taking care of them.