Handling Kitten

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never owned a cat up until now, so still have lots to learn. I'm constantly doing research and am learning more and more each day.

I have an 8 week old male kitten and probably like most young cats, loves to explore and play. Several people have told me to try to handle him as much as possible while he's still young so he gets used to it and will tolerate it as an adult. I was told about 5 minutes per day.

Not a problem except...he's squirmy. He'd much rather be on the floor running around than be cuddled. I think this is normal kitten behavior, right? Anyway, if I try to hold on to him, he'll start digging into my shirt and getting his claws stuck, so...I guess I need some advice.

What is the easiest way to hold him so I don't get scratched from his squirming body and legs? Or is the importance of handling them often when young even true?

Thanks in advance!

emily-jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get him when he is sleepy! Hopefully then he will cuddle up to you, and if he still doesn't like it, when he is sleeping try not to disturb him but slide in next to him and pat him. My cat hated to be handled when i first got him but i got him when he was sleepy and now he crawls into bed with me at night and even approaches me for cuddles during the day, sure i'd cuddle and pat my cats all day but then they'd become annoyed at me. Haha.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MesmerizeK

What is the easiest way to hold him so I don't get scratched from his squirming body and legs? Or is the importance of handling them often when young even true?
Yes, it is true. As long as mom cat trusts you enough to do so. My kittens are handled from birth and at the very least daily after that...the magic weeks for handling is at 3-6 weeks and thereafter - handle them in short spurts but on a regular basis - they'll get used to it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens under 3-4 months old will be more squirmy and wanting to play. First you need to start clipping the nails to avoid the scratches. You can pet and hold him when sleepy; otherwise do some interactive play with a fishing toy or small ball, etc.

I find them more cuddly when they get tired out; so play with them first, then cuddle them and pet them.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Attacking fingers/toes is what 8 week old kittens would do with siblings/mom! That is why its far better to adopt them a minimum of 10 weeks old - 12-16 weeks is even better.

During those first few months they learn a lot about social and cat behavior that if taken too soon (under 10 weeks) will transfer the kitten play to a person and then you have people complain about why their kitten is acting that way.