Just got a new addition, wondering what to do?

moki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

We just brought a new cat home from the shelter. He's 4 years old and very affectionate. He chose us, (name's Chance) and he's great!

Problem is, he has an upper respiratory infection and we're keeping him in his own room away from the others. (supposed to be this way for 2 weeks) The humane society gave us some antibiotic and told us how to give it to him. (a liquid in a plastic syringe tube).

Problem is, he hates it! We're trying to build up trust and here we're sticking this syringe down his throat. Geese, he runs and hides... finally comes out and then... wham time for another dose! Not an ideal "get used to the new home" situation...

Anyway, I'm not sure of another way to give him the medication. We've got a vet appt. on Monday but it's going to be a long weekend.

He's very affectionate, then we give him a dose and he hides and doesn't want to come out for hours. We each take turns having to be "the bad guy" but I'm afraid he's going to be afraid of both of us if this keeps up... hmmm.

I think it's the taste he can't stand, it's probably best to just do it quick and get it over with. I'd put the medication in his food but we're having a hard enough time getting him to eat. (he's eaten very little in the 2 days we've had him)

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, whatever you do DO NOT stop medicating him. I know it's hard. I did that with 6 week old kittens, eye drops 3-4 x a day. It was awful. But, they are now finally healthy after 4 weeks straight of meds. And they're getting friendlier by the day.

Do you have any way of telling us the name of the medication? It could be the taste, or it could be that liquids are hard to give Chance. I suggest talking to your vet about pills instead. They might work better?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The medicine is hand written on the label and it's hard to read so I'm not sure if this is exactly it, but it looks like:

"Doxycyline"

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's horrible, isn't it!!!??? I had to give my babies meds for three weeks straight and boy did they hate me!! And this was after Pico was just adopted and trying to get used to his new home, so I can imagine what you're going through. But yes, you have to finish the meds...do you give him a special treat when you're done? Maybe a special treat before he gets the meds and after.

It's also best to try to catch him when he's sleepy. But I know once they see the syringe, the sleepies are gone. Well, hopefully you can finish the meds (and yes, mine were on doxycycline and they hated it...it smells really strong) you'll be able to get him comfortable. Just tell him it's for his own benefit and that you don't like doing it but you have to. It's only because you love him. I think they understand..

Good luck.

moki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback, it's not a fun situation for anyone but I think he knows he's in a good place!

He's getting a little better about not running under the bed and hiding for as long.

thanks

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww poor lad! He's not having a fun time of it by the sounds of it! I want to back up what everyone else has said though, keep giving him the medication until the course is completely finished. I know it's difficult when you are trying to make friends and bond with him, but that can come later, his health has to come first. He will forgive and forget when he is better

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly don't really like Doxy, but I am not that familiar with it. I suggest asking your vet about Clavamox or Baytril. Calv is liquid or pill(little pills) & Baytril is a larger pill. Both have worked well for shelter kitties with URIs. I also keep Baytril tabs on hand for any URI that may crop up amongst my kitties.

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might not be the taste. We have had to give samba liquid meds twice now, two weeks each time. He just didn't like us forcing him to swallow it. All I can say is keep giving them to him, he will forgive you. Good Luck!

Manda

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I honestly don't really like Doxy, but I am not that familiar with it. I suggest asking your vet about Clavamox or Baytril. Calv is liquid or pill(little pills) & Baytril is a larger pill. Both have worked well for shelter kitties with URIs. I also keep Baytril tabs on hand for any URI that may crop up amongst my kitties.
When Radar got sick earlier this year he was prescribed that (we don't call it Clavamox here, that's a brand name, not the generic name of the drug) and we got it in a palatable form that he wolfed down when crushed and sprinkled on his wet food - it may be worth asking about that, it is slightly more expensive but Radar actually enjoyed eating the stuff!

moki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I will ask the vet about an alternative like Clavamox or Baytril... It would be much easier to hide something in his food.

If the taste/smell is too strong with the Doxycyline it won't be possible, but I'm going to give it a try.

It's getting near medicine time again

He's eating more now so hopefully he'll just eat it in his food this time. We'll see...

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way that you could have him switched to a solid pill instead of liquid? I only ask cause I have seen "pill pockets" sold at the pet store where you can take a pill and put it in this cat treat so the cat will just think they are getting a special treat. Just an idea.

moki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update, Chance didn't fall for the "Doxy in the food" trick...

We had an appointment with the vet today but they refused to take us until chance got over his respiratory infection. He's doing much better, but I guess they didn't want to risk infecting any of the other animals. Understandable I guess...

Anyway, the vet said that we need to finish up the Doxy and should not change meds at this point. Looks like it's back to the original method...

Oh, well only a few more days on this stuff. The "pill pockets" sounds like a great idea though.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you approach him from the back and put the syringe in the corner of his mouth, it isn't so stressful for him.

I actually kneel on the floor with my ankles crossed under my behind and place the cat between my thighs (head facing out). Place your left hand (assuming you are right handed) over the top of his head with your thumb on one side of his mouth and your fingers on the other. Insert the dropper into the back corner of his mouth and squeeze.

Your thighs prevent him from moving from side to side and your crossed ankles prevent him from backing up. With you hands in his face, he will try to back up and you will have him under your control.

Make sure you have a treat ready when he is done.

And just for the record, I slip Clavamox into wet food all the time and the cats don't seem to notice it's flavor. Perhaps if you need meds in the future......