Help!! My neighbor is neglecting her kitty!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first moved in here, I met a little cat named Baby Girl. She's a tabby female about the same age as Tiny--according to the vet, that would be 9 months. She is supposed to belong to my next-door neighbor. She's friendly and vocal as a Siamese, demanding attention--a kitten with an attitude.

Over the past few months, Baby--though her owner insists she is an indoor cat--has been constantly left outside. Nearly every day, I go to sleep hearing her cry to be let back in. They never do listen to her... I've picked her up and gone to the neighbors' door to tell them I've "found" their cat; but they've stopped answering the door now. Baby often comes to my door, because she knows I will pick her up, pet her, maybe give her a kitty treat.

Last week it has been in the high 90s, with high humidity, and the neighbors haven't been letting her back inside when she cries--not even during the day, when it's so hot I soak through my shirt walking half a block. Baby has been crying every night; and I've put out some water and food for her on my porch. She drank and ate as though she hadn't in a week--which could be true, because the neighbors don't feed her outside; they feed their cats inside because they are "indoor cats".

Tonight, Baby began crying again and the neighbors wouldn't answer their door (though the lights were on inside). I took her inside my own apartment; I'm going to leave a note on the neighbors' door tomorrow morning: "I've found your cat--come get her". She hisses at Tiny, so she's been separated from him in the bathroom.

She's young and strong; but I've had the chance to examine her, and she's also quite skinny. She's Tiny's size (and he weighs 9 pounds), and weighs maybe 6 pounds (but she's female; he's male). Tiny was skinny when I first rescued him; she looks like he did then, and it's been a month on kitten food to fatten him up to normal size.

I went over her with a flea comb... and was horrified. I stopped counting fleas at thirty-six, and I wasn't even half done then. Flea dirt everywhere.

No wonder the neighbors' girls have flea bites all over their legs. Their house must be crawling with them.

Baby hated being flea-combed. I can imagine why--all those fleas must have her poor skin riddled with bites, and it couldn't have felt good to go over it with the comb. I didn't see any alternative though--both for her good and in case she spreads the fleas to Tiny or my carpet. Likely enough she will stay for at least 18 hours, because I have to go to work in the morning.

Also, she smells like stale cigarette smoke. I know for a fact she's been outside for a while; that she still smells like it must mean their house smells horrid indeed. And they have children! Talk about your secondhand smoke.

I have put her inside a carrier and dimmed the bathroom lights. With luck, she will calm down a bit once she has a chance to rest in a small, quiet space.

I almost hope they don't pick her up tomorrow. This cat is not being taken care of.

A couple weeks ago, I had a chat with the neighbors' girls about their cats. They have three cats--Baby and two older cats--and a dog. The girls' mother used to have a cat called Tiny, whom she let out into the street when she didn't want him anymore. (This is what the girls told me when they brought me my Tiny, who is too young to be their Tiny but was named after him because the girls thought it was him.)

The girls' mother spoils her dog and her two older cats. The dog, a tiny Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix, is called Peanut and eats anything she wants--especially, and mostly, table scraps. Her pudgy belly attests to this. The two older cats, their owner told me, are "her babies", and never go outside.

Well, there was an exception--one of the cats, named Prince, did bolt outside once. She spent a day looking for him. In the evening I once again found Baby Girl, who had as usual gone to my porch, and brought her back to my neighbors; she was annoyed and said I had "found the wrong cat".

It's like this woman decides she loves "her babies", and everything else is just a worthless animal... Must be of the "animals are moving stuffed toys" persuasion.

I could just scream.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Baby Girl!! That is certainly no home for her...any woman who could be so callous to her pets is more than likely the same with her kids
I hope and pray that you will find someone in your area who would be willling to take on Baby Girl full time, and Baby Girl can maybe relocate. Please keep us posted!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I hope you can find BabyGirl a real home, not back with those
!!

jonesie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've come accross a neglected kitty like that before. The people went on vacation and simply left the 3 month old kitten alone outside for 3 weeks. I ended up buying the kitten from the kids for $50.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go and take the note off their door and keep the cat myself. I would have it checked at the vet, defleaed and dewormed and if not already fixed, I'd have her spayed too. Then I'd either make her part of my family or find another one that actually wants a sweet baby girl kitty.

I'm not above "animal knapping" if it comes to saving the life or improving the living conditions of a pet. I've actually done it and I feel no guilt about it at all. I feel I saved the life of the animal who otherwise would have either died of exposure, neglect or gotten run over by a car.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, considering my landlord doesn't want me to have cats, and I already have Tiny.... If I took the cat, they could just tell my landlord that I have not just one but two cats, and I'd be evicted and end up with two cats on the street again, no better off than before.

Anyway, they saw the note and took it off the door. Now to wait and see whether they'll come and get Baby.

I had to clean my bathroom today, so she and Tiny were in the same room. She's still hissing at Tiny--but apparently they are OK with being across the room from each other now. Tiny's being a real gentleman about it; he just watches her warily and doesn't hiss at all. He even made friendly overtures a couple of times. (Yeah, I'm watching 'em. The neighbor girls said she's fixed, but you can't be sure, and I don't want Baby having babies! FYI, Tiny's got his neuter scheduled later this month.)

Baby Girl has eaten a day's worth of food in half a day--her little belly's really full! It's crazy to see her eat--she gobbles and gulps like Garfield on lasagna or something. Tiny's much more delicate about it, though he likes his kitten food too

She IS a door-darter, but those of you who have door-darters don't lose them outside every freaking day!!--I'm thinking Baby is being let out deliberately, just kind of, open the door and let her do her darting...

You guys just send prayers/vibes/whatever for Baby...

susanmly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a very similar problem.

Several years ago some people moved in next door to me, they had 2 cats that they claimed were indoor cats only. Although they said this I would continually see "BOB" outside. They claimed he darted out the door all the time and only came in to eat. As the months got colder he showed up at my door more and more often cold and hungry. I let him stay in my garage and on some really cold nights I let him inside. Come about February of that next year I took a week long trip south, to my horror when I got home they had also been gone the whole week. There comment when they saw him was "Bob, nice you finally showed up". He'd been out all week with no food and was noticably thinner. That day I let him inside, changed his name to Mambo and he has never left.

In the spring I started to see their other cat (a young female) outside all the time. She was very shy so I never really could get to close. A month or so went by and she'd be waiting by my car when I was leaving for work. I put some food out and she'd run past me and gobble it up. I slowly won her over and she'd sneak through a hole in my fence to come visit me. I noticed several weeks later that she was pregnant, I brought "LILy" inside and about a month later she delivered 4 beautiful kittens.
Unfortunately she died suddenly about 7 months later.
Not once did these "people" even look for either cat
I never felt one ounce of guilt for "stealing" their cats. A year later, they have 2 dogs and they aren't treated much better. Some people are truly heartless.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8:00 and no neighbors... I told them I got home from work at 4...

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This reminds of my neighbor and his two cats. The landlord said they had to go, so he just put them outside and stopped feeding them. People can be so heartless.

I'm sending lots of vibes that you find a way to help this sweet girl.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They let their dog out and I went to their house... brought the cat back to them... Their little girl answered the door--I think it's the parents who've been ignoring me. It was 6 hours past the time I told them I'd come back from work, and yeah, they've been home.

They're moving in a week or so. I kind of hope they leave Baby behind.

Next time she gets out, she's staying until somebody comes and GETS her. Poor thing--I guess she'll have to be flea combed yet again when/if that happens.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
BAD!
You shouldnt have done that!

NOW that poor cat might go wih those heathens when they move, If I were you I'd pay the girl $ to get the cat back from her and then take her to a shelter where she will be loved and adopted, hopefully

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do'nt know where your'e from, but here in ontario, canada there is a rule in the Landlord Tenant Act that even if your lease, or building doesn't allow aminals, you can still have them, and they can't evict you. (As long as you get them after you move in) Cat's are not a big problem... but I'm also sure that they could think of other reasons to evict you..

I hope baby finds a good home!!

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stellarkix09

I do'nt know where your'e from, but here in ontario, canada there is a rule in the Landlord Tenant Act that even if your lease, or building doesn't allow aminals, you can still have them, and they can't evict you. (As long as you get them after you move in) Cat's are not a big problem... but I'm also sure that they could think of other reasons to evict you..

I hope baby finds a good home!!
Are you serious? Then how is a lease forbidding animals useful at all??

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stellarkix09

?? Then what does it mean for a building to "not allow animals"? Are you sure it isn't the other way around, that they can't refuse to lease to you if you *already* have animals and that you can't get any more after moving in? That would make more sense to me...

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

?? Then what does it mean for a building to "not allow animals"? Are you sure it isn't the other way around, that they can't refuse to lease to you if you *already* have animals and that you can't get any more after moving in? That would make more sense to me...
Curiosity got the best of me and google came to the rescue:
PETS AND "NO PETS CLAUSES":
Q6: The landlord says I must either move out or get rid of my pet; Do I?

A6: Only if the pet is dangerous, causes allergic reactions or causes problems for other tenants or the landlord, must you get rid of your pet or consider moving elsewhere as per Landlord application to terminate tenancy based on animals.

Even if you signed a lease with a "no pets" clause, if the pet is not a problem for anybody they can not enforce it; such no pets clauses are invalid under the law.

You do not have to move or get rid of the pet unless the Board issues a written order to do so.
http://www.ontariotenants.ca/law/law.phtml

I've never heard of anything like that in my life - apartment complexes refuse pets all over the place in the US.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So apparently "no pets allowed" rental clauses are illegal in Ontario. That's makes more sense than than to say you can't have pets when you move in but can get them *after* you move in.

Good law!

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See, most buildings up here don't care about cats, rabbits, birds... etc etc... it's mostly the dogs they're worried about... (Barking, chewing etc)

I'm sorry if I didn't say the clause right!! Thanks for the correction...

But I know they can refuse to rent to you if you have a pet...(again, mostly dogs are the issue)

This is right from the actual Ontario Tenant Board website...

Can the landlord refuse to rent to a person if they have a pet?
Yes, if a landlord has a “no pets” policy and they learn that a person applying to rent an apartment has a pet, the landlord may refuse to rent to that person.

The Residential Tenancies Act states that any clause in a lease that prohibits pets is void. This means that once a person becomes a tenant, if they have a pet even though the lease says pets are not allowed, the landlord cannot evict the tenant just for having the pet. However, the Landlord can apply to the Board to evict a tenant if the pet is causing a problem. See the question on “Can a landlord evict a tenant for having a pet?" in the How a Landlord Can Evict a Tenant section of the Frequently Asked Questions.
http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Info...02_111463.html

Can a landlord evict a tenant for having a pet?
A tenant can be evicted for having a pet in their unit only if:

the pet is making too much noise, damaging the unit, or causing an allergic reaction, or
the animal or species is considered to be inherently dangerous.
Even if the tenancy agreement has a ‘no pets’ rule in it, the tenant cannot be evicted just for having a pet unless the Board decides in an order that the pet is causing a problem, or that the pet is inherently dangerous.
http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Info...02_111483.html

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was out mewing again today. I SOO wanted to take her back with me... I think I'm just too much of a coward... But this time they opened the door and took her back in right away... She had fleas again, of course... (Tiny's not too pleased when she comes over; we call her "the Hooligan" because she's always the one to hiss at him the second she sees him, even when he approaches, nose first and tail up, in 'friendly greeting' mode.)

My landlord doesn't want pets, I have a cat anyway that I'm fostering because nobody wants to take him in; now there's this other cat that mews outside the door every night. I'm scared I'm going to be evicted, and Tiny with me; I live in Ohio, where there aren't hardly any animal-protecting laws at all. Last month I thought I was going to be homeless because I didn't have any money to pay for a place to live; and then finally I figured out I could get one by getting a credit card... Now I finally have a job and a place to live, except the job might not need me anymore, and I'll have to find another, and I don't have transportation so I have to pay $60 for a cab to go to the vet's because I can't drive, which is more than a day's pay for me... and Tiny still needs his shots, which are paid for because he's a foster, but I still have to get him there, and nobody closer would let me foster him so I have to take these crazy long cab rides, which Tiny hates anyway; and why can't I just keep him and to hell with the landlord?... I'm only 24!! I still feel like a kid--what am I doing trying to make these decisions for another living creature?

I'm sorry. I guess I'm just scared.