Neodymium Magnets

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok guys,

This is what I'm thinking....do you think these magnets (the smaller disc ones) would do the trick with stoli's nighttime escapades in the cabinets? Does anyone have any experience with these? I read the write up and they sound REALLY strong, almost too strong. And then there's the stuff about people with pacemakers...I'd have to tell my dad before he comes down again....

I really want these to work but don't know if they are over the top. I'd buy the smallest discs I'd need; then drill tiny holes in my cabinets and glue the disks in the door, and then either drill into the side of the cabinet wall and stick the magnet inside the cabinet or stick the other magnet behind the cabinet wall....just so they aren't directly touching.

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, those magnets are ridiculously expensive. There are some insanely powerful magnets out there (100 lbs holding force), but those little ones you'd be lucky to get 5 lbs of force (cat can easily exert 5 lbs of force). Instead of wasting your money on those, why not get a latch to lock the cabinets? Or some other sort of locking mechanism for the cabinets?

The dirt cheap ghetto way would be just go get one of those eyelet + hooks and screw them in.

The classy way would be to get one of those spring loaded ramps installed into your cabinets, with a knob you push or pull to disengage it to open the door. Concealed and gives a nice click when you close it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Wow, those magnets are ridiculously expensive. There are some insanely powerful magnets out there (100 lbs holding force), but those little ones you'd be lucky to get 5 lbs of force (cat can easily exert 5 lbs of force). Instead of wasting your money on those, why not get a latch to lock the cabinets? Or some other sort of locking mechanism for the cabinets?

The dirt cheap ghetto way would be just go get one of those eyelet + hooks and screw them in.

The classy way would be to get one of those spring loaded ramps installed into your cabinets, with a knob you push or pull to disengage it to open the door. Concealed and gives a nice click when you close it.
Hi Lemur,

Thanks for your input. I don't think you understand though.....I've tried all that with Stoli. The others will attest to it. I have used electrical tape, child locks, magnets/spring load, CHAIRS.....he moves the chairs he gets into every cabinet.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rob has a grand time with these beasts, also referred to as Rare Earth Magnets. Here's a longish article on them, with a fair bit of information and project ideas that may help you decide how to approach your own challenge. It's from the website of his favourite "toy store" Lee Valley Tools, and here are the magnets they offer. Knowing the strength of these, and the kinds of things Rob has done, it wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be the answer to your problem. Good luck.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

Hi Lemur,

Thanks for your input. I don't think you understand though.....I've tried all that with Stoli. The others will attest to it. I have used electrical tape, child locks, magnets/spring load, CHAIRS.....he moves the chairs he gets into every cabinet.
no no like, imagine your door knob and the little ramp that sticks out the side that catches in the pocket in your door jamb. But instead of a knob you have a thumb hole you stick your finger in to lift the catch up to open the door. Sort of like this:

Or they have those little rod bolt mechanisms. Like this picture:

The first example you can route a wire to basically anywhere to pull on the loop to open the cabinet, and it's virtually impossible to open unless you pull on the loop. The second one if your cat can figure out how to swing the little arm out, push up, and then pull on the door while keeping the rod up, then you must have a genius of a cat because some humans can't even get that one.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats a good idea, but i don't think i want to deface our cabinets, at least on the outside....but you are right, those would work and i hadn't thought of that.

and rapunzel - so you've heard of them and they are really strong and you think this might be my solution?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I think so. They are all over our place, from cabinet closures, to fridge magnets, to hold downs for the BBQ cover and table cloth on the patio table. The wind always used to get the BBQ cover during the winter, it didn't even touch it since the hold downs. Rob made four for each of those situations, using a cabinet knob, with a magnet cup attached (epoxy? not sure, but I can ask if you want) and the magnet in that. They're one-inch discs...

... and you don't want to get your flesh in the way if they are close enough to be attracted to each other.

I'll ask him to comment further if you'd like -- he's the one who can give the really skinny on them. I just watch my boy have fun, and then see the practical results.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just want to get the really really tiny discs...do you or he think they'll work?

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

Hi Lemur,

FWIW I agree w/Lemur, those itty bitty magnets most likely won't do the trick. I have a set of neodynium magnets, about 1 cm in diameter, that I use to hold up my calendar on my fridge, and it takes 4-5 of them to make it secure.

Have you tried Tot-Loks? I'm buying these to childproof my kitchen; they're super-strong latches designed to be opened w/a magnetic key:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Magnetic-TOT-LOCK-4-Locks-1-Key-Set-Baby-Safe- I've dealt w/this Ebay store before, they're very reputable.

If you've already gone this route,
sorry -- maybe double-up on the tot-loks??

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
these locks look great. i'm going to go look for these today!

where were you when i needed these earlier

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those look good.
I hope they work for you. If not, or if you ever want to pick Rob's brain on the neodymium magnets, let me know.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just got the tot locks to try...i'll let you know.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those Tot Locks look cool! Just to reassure you about magnets and pacemakers. I work in the O.R., and sometimes we need to deactivate a pacemaker or AICD to be able to use our electrocautery equipment. We actually have to lay a huge magnet on the patient's chest, directly over the pacemaker, to have any effect on it at all. I doubt that even a strong magnet on a cabinet door would affect your father's pacemaker if he were to walk by or stand by it, so I don't think it would be anything to worry about.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks, that's really good to know. i know you can't be too careful and they don't want to be held responsible....i need to get some anyway for a necklace I'm making....